The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Regal House Publishing

My rhymes are bottomless Hip-Hop-a-potamus's Avatar

Regal House Publishing

Anyone heard anything about these guys or had any dealings?

Look like they might be a newer outfit.

http://www.regalhousepublishing.com/index.html
    http://outofprintwriting.blogspot.ca...gal-house.html

Nothing at P & E yet. I'm highly suspicious.
    The Forgotten Flapper. "A film buff's dream, wrapped in the decadence and glamour of a bygone era." - Kirkus Reviews

No dealings here, but the fact that they specialize in literary fiction and historical fiction makes me anti-suspicious, since lit. fiction at least isn't usually a giant money-maker (for most authors).

Then again, they have an "Author Services" section that mentions building a site and helping with marketing, all for free--except for "a minimal annual fee that covers domain renewal and hosting fees."

Overall, it simply doesn't inspire confidence in me.
    Last edited by Thedrellum; 03-08-2015 at 02:17 AM.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Lmack's Avatar

Regal House Publishing

Does anyone have information about this publishing house? They've expressed interest in publishing one of my novels, but they don't have much of a track record. There's also scant information about Jaynie Cox, the editor.

Thanks for your help!

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    My heart always sinks when I look at a publisher's website and see a tagline like "Publishing Reinvented."

There's a thread here already on Regal House Publishing: <snipped>

And this thread is related:

Literary Fiction Review: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=299983

- Victoria
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 03-07-2015 at 07:09 PM. Reason: threads merged, thanks!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Lmack's Avatar

Regal House

I'm wondering why your heart sinks when you "look at a publisher's website and see a tagline like "Publishing Reinvented."

Thanks

Lily

To be very blunt, variations of that phrase often seem to actually mean the publisher has little to no real experience in the field, has learned some bad habits from even more dubious publishers, and/or is counting on unproven or skimpy capitalization to run the business.

It's why a lot of people here wait a couple of years before querying any new publisher - that's usually enough time to see if the publisher is viable. Of course that means *someone* out there will take the leap of faith. I wish them well, and hope it works out for the best.

Regal's blog posts indicate enthusiasm, at least.
    Last edited by Filigree; 03-07-2015 at 07:38 AM.

M/M/M contemporary erotic romance novella out now from NineStar Press!

Blog: Blue Night(blog back up, mwhahaha!)
    My art and jewelry online at SaatchiArt.
    My collected Filigree's Rule posts for would-be writers (learn from my mistakes!)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Waste of Time and Space, on Many Levels

The real story on Regal House Publishing, LLC is this: It was registered as an LLC on 25 November 2013 by--you guessed it!--Philippa Royal, AKA PJ Royal, who was the only registered agent for this "company." She had left North Carolina for Sugarloaf Key, Florida, which is how I was able to check the existence of this publishing company on the Florida Division of Corporation's official website. The same site also shows that on 22 February 2015 Royal voluntarily dissolved this company, so it is no longer registered, at least in Florida.

Royal was/is the only author, but since it was her personal company, that is no surprise. While it is true a Dutch friend of hers is allegedly due to publish later this year, Regal House LLC won't be doing the publishing, or not as a registered Florida concern.

I had the misfortune to read Royal's book, Killing the Bee King, which rates as one of the very worst novels I've ever encountered--full of amazingly blatant historical inaccuracies and the most purple of faux literary prose seen this side of Bulwer-Lytton. All the promos for Regal House Publishing sound exactly the same.

Beware, to be sure. If you've been approached after February 2015 about being published by Regal House, it's more than likely a scam. Perhaps Royal couldn't find enough willing takers to fork over $90 for the privilege of being fleeced.

ETA: Jaynie Cox, who is/was supposed to be some sort of editor for Regal House, is exactly 19 years old. She intimates on her Facebook page that she is somehow involved in "publishing," and has thousands of friends who apparently think she is indeed "in publishing."

BTW, I'm new here, so forgive any lapses in protocol.
    Last edited by MaggieC70; 03-10-2015 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Additional info

I skimmed through Killing the Bee King just out of dark curiosity, and wondered about this following description, does blood actually seep "sullenly?" Lord, how I coulda used a good editor in my early days of writin'...

Only the Seeper Knows...

Blood does not seep sullenly or in any other manner because it is largely inanimate. But people who fancy themselves as writers of "Litrachure" are overly fond of such purple--and unintentionally hilarious--descriptions.

My favorite was in the Historical [sic!!!!] preface, wherein the French army along the Channel coasts was called the Armee de l'Englaterre. Mon Dieu!

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
    To be very blunt, variations of that phrase often seem to actually mean the publisher has little to no real experience in the field, has learned some bad habits from even more dubious publishers, and/or is counting on unproven or skimpy capitalization to run the business.
    I couldn't have said it better!

- Victoria

Hi,

New here, but picked up this thread because I have been followed by another publisher who claims to be an offshoot of Regal House publishing. However, there seems to be some eery similarities -- charging for website hosting, only one author listed on the website, and no Google footprint.

Anyone know anything else about Regal House and/or Fitzroy (www.fitzroybooks.com)?

Thanks,

CC

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Welcome, Charlie. I've moved your post into the existing Regal House thread.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Fitzroy's site reads like the parent co's does. You can tell immediately they are both to be avoided, just by reading the on and on and on explanations of how they actually offer Editing...

At Fitzroy, we pride ourselves on our open submission policy that doesn’t require an agent (though queries from literary or secret agents are welcome too), and on the in-h
    ouse editing provided by our staff – a perk growing more unusual in the publishing world where the responsibility and expense of editing now routinely fall to authors.
    Editing is a PERK now, since when? (perhaps that's part of their whole we are "reinventing publishing" thang

And this hardly a surprise...

Like other small presses, we are delighted to provide authors with multiple copies of their novels at the standard 50% discount, which can then be sold at retail value during the subsequent book signing – with all the profit from these sales retained by the author.
    NO, even small presses send books for signings, the Author does NOT buy them!
    Seems that since /15 they have one Author on board who's first book was published in /11 with the now defunct "Raintown press" but don't see any mention of a book with Fitzroy on the F site nor on Amazon (it's still on Amazon under Raintown pub).
    The Authors site mentions the Raintown press title is being republished by F but there's no way of seeing when that is suppose to happen.

With the buying of your own books, it sounds like vanity.