Storyteller

CynHolt

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all, I’m sort of an oddball around here. I don’t really consider myself a writer. I think of myself as a storyteller who writes. This was not my dream. I’m not fanatical about words, but there are these stories and their characters running around in my head and it’s time to let them out.

I've already had a couple of careers, including wife and mother. I was a Real Estate Broker, then went back to college and got degrees in Religious Studies (my field is the ancient world). I’m now retired, but would like to work on some textbooks at some point, also. It was my daughter (the writer) who suggested I try this forum. I’m not new to forums and I’ve been poking around for a couple of days. I like what I see, intelligent, thoughtful individuals.

I’ve got all kinds of questions. My writing has begun with a series of books in the Science Fiction genre. They take place in a proposed distant future. The first book is done, but I want to be farther along with the second book before I claim I can write a series. When I say Science Fiction I’m referring to the genre that writes commentary on current social, political, and economic structures in a created future as did Asimov, Bradbury, and Roddenberry. I’m not a scientist, but I try to stay true to current understandings of the world around us. There is no magic, no immortal beings, no fantasy in my stories.

My questions are about blogging, publishers (yea or nay), beta readers, advertising/promoting my work. So, I thought I would start looking into all of that while I work on getting out more of my series. I've already found the Tiki bar, second booth on the right.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Good luck with your writing. Your stories sound interesting. Visit my Blog sometime. If I can help promote your books, or offer some advice, just ask.

jennmarie

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW! If you're a storyteller, you're inevitably a writer. At least you will be :)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I also consider myself a storyteller first and a writer second. Not that I discount the importance of writing, but for me, the story is the most important thing. I've simply chosen writing as my medium, and I'm working hard to develop the writing skills necessary.

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Yes, plenty of people here can help you with any question you have. Feel free to ask!

sic_scripsit

l'il cat inna big tophat
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, CynHolt! Your stories sound like the sort of stuff I like to read so I look forward to reading your work! 8^)

CynHolt

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Do you prefer to tell stories verbally instead of writing?

I don't have one particular preference, I believe in a multi-media approach to all things in life. I'm that crazy lady in the market humming along to the music. Odd thing is, the rest of the people in the aisle will join me. :PartySmil

jennmarie

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I also consider myself a storyteller first and a writer second. Not that I discount the importance of writing, but for me, the story is the most important thing. I've simply chosen writing as my medium, and I'm working hard to develop the writing skills necessary.

I so concur! I think that's why I had to write my book 3 times lol - the story was always there, but my writing needed time to develop. Weirdly, the more my writing improved, the more confident I became in telling a better story, and that's exactly what ended up happening.

cwschizzy

Eviscerate the Proletariat
Registered
Reaction score
Quite a life journey. Radical. Welcome to AW.