• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] BK Nelson, Inc.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but why? Is everything on her website a fake? If not, it appears she has credentials. So why is she one of the very worst?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Fees

They charge for everything, and the claim that they're responsible for 3% of all writers who earn a living from thsi craft is more than a bit weird. I'd say one of the twenty worst is a gross understatement.

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Here's a little from googling:

http://www.writers.net/forum/read/10/9349/9349Vf

Says that she charges reading fees of $400+, and has in-house editing services for queries and for ghost-writing.
A 20% commission and expenses over $50 are charged to the author after a sale. But apparently she does sell things. Don't know to who, or how often (with a reading fee of $400 or so, she doesn't need to sell much).

Wow. This is from her website: "Only ten percent of authors are supported solely by their writing careers. BK Nelson is responsible for 3% of this segment."
Seriously? How the heck does she figure that? Wouldn't you need to know how many authors there were in the whole world at any given time, and then know how many of them were full-time?

Her client list is here:
http://www.bknelson.com/writers.html
There are 32 people on it. Assuming that all of them support themselves solely by writing, then ... sorry, I'm arithmetically challenged, but 32, tops, is 3% of those writers who support themselves solely by writing. In the world. Or just in the US? the continental US?

This guy is one of her clients:
http://etmilliganbooks.com/index.html
his book (detective novel) is published by Unistar Books, who seem to be based in India, which seems a longish way to go. He does not appear to be supporting himself solely by writing.

David Fiske's book is incorrect on her Writers list, where it is titled The Little Bang - the correct title appears to be A Theory of Cosmology: the small bang theory. It was published by Vantage Press in 1980, (vanity press?) but it's the only title listed for him. Guess he's not supporting himself solely by writing.

John Dobson may be John Lowry Dobson, who doesn't seem to have a book called The Big Bang, either in print or available used, but in 2004 had a book called Beyond Space and Time published by Temple Universal Publishing, who again seem to possibly be based in India, though I couldn't find an actual address.

Gary Franks's book Searching for the Promised Land was published in 1996 by Harper Collins, a real publisher, but since she describes him as a congressman, I kind of doubt he's supporting himself solely by writing, and I didn't spot any other titles to his name.

Stephen Capone came up blank on Bookfinder.com, even for the two titles listed. However, googling the name did come up with a story here:
http://www.publishersweekly.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA165649&publication=publishersweekly
with the alarming quote: "Stephen Capone of Scottsdale, Ariz., tells a typical story. In 1997, he paid Commonwealth $8000, expecting the publication of three books in return. To date, he's seen nothing."
Same guy? Wonder if BK got him that deal? And did she get paid 20% of $8000?

Mrs. J. Paul Getty writes as Teddy Getty Gaston, and her book Mark of the Eagle was published by XLibris in 2002. XLibris is a vanity, isn't it? And if she's really a Getty, I'm betting she's not supporting herself solely by writing, either. Why bother?

I googled a few others. Frank Ashby came up blank for writing or novels or westerns, except for a Frank Ashby in Orange County who's been attending a seniors' centre writing workshop since 1999. Same guy?

I'm kind of surprised there's no previous thread for BK Nelson. Where's the drama? The human interest stories? The raw, ripped-from-the-headlines tales of tragedy and disillusionment? The sockpuppets appearing to defend and rant? The reasoned line-by-line deconstruction of the bluster and hypocrisy?
Maybe I'll have to re-read the NYLA threads ...
-Barbara

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Julie Worth said:
Yes, but why?
As the list's intro reads:

Below is a list of the 20 agents about which Writer Beware has received the greatest number of advisories/complaints during the past several years.

None of these agents has a significant track record of sales to commercial (advance-paying) publishers, and most have virtually no documented and verified sales at all (many sales claimed by these agents turn out to be vanity publishers). All charge clients before a sale is made, whether directly, by charging fees such as reading or administrative fees, or indirectly, for "editing services."
Seems pretty clear. She'd listed the twenty "agents" which get the most complaints for no sales and/or charging fees.

Is everything on her website a fake? If not, it appears she has credentials.
Of which minimal Googling finds….

Abe, Toshihiko Japan's Hidden Face
Listed on Amazon as pubbed in 1998 by “BainBridge”. Cannot find a publisher by that name, although I do see that Dorrance is located in BainBridge…

Ashbach, Leonard Parkinson's Lifestyle and Cookbook
No record on Google of this or his other book that Neslon “recommends”.

Ashby, Frank “Western Novels”
No record of a western novelist by this name. Could be a pseudonym, but…

Bly, Bob “over 37 books from Star Trek to Getting Started In Speaking, business books”
But not with Nelson. Agent for the last several years has been Robert Diforio (D4EO Literary Agency).

Brahmavidyananda, Swami Vedanta Society
All books pubbed by Temple Universal Publishing, the literature arm of the Vedanta Society.

Capone, Stephen Sins of My Neighbor, Silent Bridge
No Record

Dobson, John The Big Bang
As Batgirl noted above, the title is wrong. Not a vote of confidence. Also, it’s a reprint through the Vedanta Society.

Fiske, David M.D. The Little Bang
Again, title is wrong. Pubbed in 1980 by Vantage.

Fox, Dennis M.D. CIG to Migraines and Other Headaches
This is a “Complete Idiot's Guide”. While a great credit for the author, it isn’t for Nelson since no agent is required.

Frank, Karen Ph.D “Wellness 23 CD’s on Guided Self-Hypnosis: sleep disorders, abundance, health etc.”
Happy House Publishing appears only with this author = self-pub.

Someone else can do the rest, but none of these are sales to commercial publishers and/or ones that require agents.

So why is she one of the very worst?
Because she has among the most number of complaints filed against her.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Documented complaints Writer Beware has received about BK Nelson:

- She charges an "evaluation" fee (currently $350) to read a ms.
- Her commission is 20% across the board.
- She has charged writers $250-400 for listings in "The Brown Book," a catalogue supposedly taken to large book fairs such as the Frankfurt Book Fair.
- One writer was told to turn his novel ms. into a TV mini-series; Nelson offered "help" with the writing for $25,000, with an additional $12,500 for "presentation preparation."

Nondocumented complaints:

- Paid editing recommendations ranging from $2,500 to $4,000.
- Fees to be part of her speakers' bureau.
- One writer was charged $2,200 to have sample chapters printed up as a brochure to take to BEA.
- One writer was asked to provide matching funds to produce a film version of his ms.

- Victoria

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
A couple of the authors she mentions in her bio--Phyllis Mindell and Arthur Pell--have current books, and she seems to have several authors who've placed books recently with the Complete Idiots series--I even found one that acknowledged her as agent. But for most of her clients I either haven't been able to find any sales at all, or else their sales date back to the early '90's and before.
I'm kind of surprised there's no previous thread for BK Nelson. Where's the drama? The human interest stories? The raw, ripped-from-the-headlines tales of tragedy and disillusionment?
I heard from one writer who told me that he paid the $395 evaluation fee, then paid $3,500 for "in-house editing" (nine months later, she'd only edited 7 chapters, soothing the writer's anxiety by saying she only needed 6 chapters to send to publishers), then paid $2,200 for sample chapters printed in a brochure to take to BEA (the writer attended BEA at his own expense, and discovered that the brochure was cheap and tacky and no attempt was being made to present the book to buyers)...then was asked if he could raise $4 million to match the $4 million she was going to get from her friend Mrs. Getty to produce a movie version of his book. Later, he checked her website and found that she was selling his ms. in book form--even though he'd never given her authorization to do so.

The kicker...the book was based on a character from an earlier work that's still under copyright.

- Victoria

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
I heard from one writer who told me that he paid the $395 evaluation fee, then paid $3,500 for "in-house editing" (nine months later, she'd only edited 7 chapters, soothing the writer's anxiety by saying she only needed 6 chapters to send to publishers), then paid $2,200 for sample chapters printed in a brochure to take to BEA (the writer attended BEA at his own expense, and discovered that the brochure was cheap and tacky and no attempt was being made to present the book to buyers)...then was asked if he could raise $4 million to match the $4 million she was going to get from her friend Mrs. Getty to produce a movie version of his book. Later, he checked her website and found that she was selling his ms. in book form--even though he'd never given her authorization to do so.

The kicker...the book was based on a character from an earlier work that's still under copyright.

- Victoria
:Jaw: That's...that's...just incredible.

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Thanks muchly, Cao and Victoria! The more I know of how these scammers operate, the better equipped I am to avoid them (and, yeah, the stories fascinate me in a horrified way).

I spent a little while with google and bookfinder.com, and this is what I found:

Ø Abe, Toshihiko Japan's Hidden Face

Publisher also given as 'Trans-Atlantic Publishing'. I'll note that Jeanne Rejaunier is the co-author or translator (see below)

Ø Ashbach, Leonard Parkinson's Lifestyle and Cookbook

I get nothing from bookfinder.com, and google only gives me a faulty link to BookExpoAmerica, where he seems to have been. I tried alternative spellings for Ashbach as well.

Ø Ashby, Frank Western Novels

Here's the quote from the Orange County story : "Tuesday mornings at the senior center, one room is dedicated to literature: reading it, critiquing it, and above all, creating it. "This is such a unique class," said Frank Ashby, a participant since 1999. "There are not many creative writing classes."
the story itself is here: <http://www.ocregister.com/community/orange_city_news/columns/archive/123004org_deffner.shtml>

Interesting! There's a Franklin Ashby who's written a book (Embracing Excellence) with Arthur Pell (see below).

Ø Fox, Dennis M.D. CIG to Migraines and Other Headaches

co-authored with Jeanne Rejaunier (see below) - is this, like two authors for the price of one?

Ø Frawley, Michael Chief Deputy The Stalking

Alphabetically, he should come after Franks. Just saying. And I can't find any record of this as a published book, even vanity. Googling made me wonder if he's really "Chief Deputy District Attorney Michael Frawley" in Ventura, but no mention of a book. I'm thinking he doesn't support himself solely by writing.

Ø Franks, Gary, fr.Congressman Searching for the Promised Land

Gary Franks's book Searching for the Promised Land was published in 1996 by Harper Collins, a real publisher, but since she describes him as a congressman, I kind of doubt he's supporting himself solely by writing, and I didn't spot any other titles to his name.

Ø Freund, Lee M.D. (estate) "Idiots Guide to Food Allergies"

Hm. Co-written with Jeanne Rejaunier (see below). And again, a Complete Idiot's Guide. Does (estate) mean the person is dead and the works administered for the estate?

Ø Getty, Mrs. J. Paul The Mark of The Eagle

Mrs. J. Paul Getty writes as Teddy Getty Gaston, and her book Mark of the Eagle was published by XLibris in 2002. She hasn't written/published anything else as far as I can discover.

Ø Gold, Don Line Producer "Diagnosis Murder"

His name and this credit found in the imdb. Various credits, but his only screen writing credit is from "Sex and the Teenage Mind" 2002. He's also written a book - Producing for Hollywood, published by Allworth Press

Ø Green, Bill "Australian Writer of 26 novels"

His bio is here: http://www.spoiledink.com/Bill_Green and his novels are published by Hodder and by Rigby in Australia. Seems to be real. Author and journalist, something of a stirrer by the sounds of it.

Ø Holtz, Herman Estate "How to Succeed As An Independent Consultant" 4th ED

I wonder why 'Estate' isn't lower-case and in parentheses here, as it is above? A brief bio from a website offering some of his books for sale: "Herman Holtz was one of the most prolific authors of books for the Consultant. He has authored over 70. Sadly, he passed away in Feb. 2001. His knowledge of consulting and business spanned the world of business and he shared it with the reader in his many books." Looks as if he was a real author, with over 78 books, published by McGraw-Hill, etc.

Ø Katz, Leon PH.D Professor Emeritus of Drama Yale, Sonya, Pinocchio

His website is here: http://katzleon.com/ "the author of several dozen original plays and adaptations produced in the U.S. and abroad" so he may actually support himself by writing, though I suppose there's some spare change associated with the Emeritus position. He has written an adaptation of Pinocchio, but I couldn't find anything by him with the title Sonya.

Ø Lebowitz, Marlene co-producer "Beyond Forever" /Screenwriter

imdb gives me a big nothing for this title and for this person, even with variant spellings of Lebowitz. Google gives me this, from moviebytes.com: Beyond Forever - Robert Hadley thought the past was buried until its unexpected resurrection brought problems anew. (Updated: 07/25/2003 @ 7:24 PM) Keyword: expatriate
I clicked on the link, but it's expired.

Ø Lefevre, Holly How To, I do: Planning the Ultimate Wedding

Well, the title is correct, though mispunctuated so that it looks wrong. It's published by HarperCollins, 2000. She's the owner of a wedding design and event coordination business, which you can read about in her bio here: http://www.brideworld.com/plan/holly.htm
I'm thinking that's how she supports herself, not solely by writing.

Ø Miligan, E.T. "Crime Mystery Novel Series"

His name is spelt wrong here - it's Edward T. Milligan. He's a motivational speaker and retired military officer, according to his website. Inclinations of Fear was published by Apollo (Winona MN) in 1984, Looking-Glass Self by University Editions in 1991. Past the Line is published by Unistar according to his website, but by ETMILLIGANBOOKS according to Amazon. Those are fiction. On Linda, nonfiction, published by R&E Publishers 1992. I don't know any of the publishers, but the covers look amateurish, except for Past the Line, which is kind of okay.

Ø Mindell, Phyllis Ed.D. "How To Say it For Women", "How To Say it In the Executive Suite"

Second title is incorrect, it's How to Say It For Executives. A couple of other books, Power Reading and A Woman's Guide to the Language of Success, published by Penguin / Prentice-Hall. Her website is here: http://www.wellread.com/aboutus_new.html
She runs Well-Read, which does seminars on communication, so I'm thinking she supports herself by that more than solely by writing.

Ø Ott, True Ph.D. Minerals For Life, DNA Studies

Name incorrect again - it's A. True Ott, and googling him is scary. Along with titles like Secret Assassins in Food : the Ninjas of Taste! (published by Manna) and Wellness Secrets for Life (published Cedar Mountain 1999), there's an interview with him about how Masons and Catholics sacrifice babies. And no, that wasn't an exaggeration for comic effect. Runs an online nutritional supplement company called Mother Earth Minerals, and you can read his bio here: http://www.motherearthmineralsinc.com/431370.html

Ø Pell, Arthur Ph.D. "Managing People 3rd Ed", "Christian ED", "Spanish", "Human Resources"

The first and last are Complete Idiot Guides. He's also written some Dale Carnegie books. My guess is that "Christian ED" refers too The Christian Family Guide to Managing People, and "Spanish" may refer to a Spanish translation of that title or another - but really this is an abysmally arranged list. Here's his bio "Arthur R. Pell, Ph.D., has written over 40 books on management, career planning, and human relations, and is a nationally known lecturer on HR management. He worked as a personnel
director early in his career and has served on the faculties of NYU, CUNY, and St. John's University." He might support himself solely by writing, but I suspect the faculty positions count for more.

Ø Raab, Bernie "The Book of Humor" "I Lived to Tell"

Coming up blank, other than a joke contributed to a UConn site by a Bernie Raab : Question: What did George W. Bush say when he was asked how he felt about Roe v. Wade? Answer: He said it was the most important decision George Washington had to make before crossing the Delaware.

Ø Rejaunier, Jeanne "Idiots Guide to Headaches", "Idiots Guide to Food Allergies"

Hm, the titles are wrong again - Complete Idiot's Guide to Migraines and Other Headaches (see Dennis Fox, above), and co-author of CIG to Food Allergies. Penguin website says "Jeanne Rejaunier is the author of eight books and a freelance screenwriter. She lives in Florida." She seems to be the co-author or translator of Abe's book Japan's Hidden Face (small world, hey?) as well as co-author of a couple of books on astrology. Don't know if she's the same Jeanne Rejaunier who wrote The Beauty Trap (1969) and Affair in Rome (1981).

Ø Talent, Ronnie "Dook Series on The Business of Hair Care"

Bookfinder gives him as the author of The Vending Jackpot, a book on creating and running a vending machine business. It's published by Llumina or Media Creations, or Lightning Source, also as an ebook from Fictionwise (but, but, it's not fiction!).
Aha! Amazon gives him as co-author of Home Hair Salon, a downloadable book by BooksOnStuff. "Ronnie Talent offers years of experience in Management, Sales and Marketing with both Hair Club for Men and Bosley Medical Group . He has done Over 6000 Hair replacement and Hair restoration consultations, and has seen thousands of men and women reach their hair restoration goals." "Ronnie and Tarye own an exclusive salon in Charlotte, NC"
And yes, it is the same guy, his bio is here: http://www.bosleymedicalcharlotte.com/bio.html
At any rate, I don't think he'd have time to support himself solely by writing, what with the salon and the vending machine biz.

Ø Terrill, Marshall celebrity books, Steve Mcqueen, Norton, Stuntman, Elvis

This one I might believe was supporting himself as a writer - reporter, and celebrity bios. There's a short biography of the man himself here: http://cherylhosmervignettes.blogspot.com/2006/01/featured-bio-biographer-marshall.html - short enough that I can quote it here: "Writer Marshall Terrill resides in
Tempe, Arizona, with his wife Zoe. He is a reporter for Tribune Newspapers as well as the author of eight books, including the best-selling biography, Steve McQueen: Portrait of An American Rebel (Donald I. Fine, 1993). His more recent works include Sergeant Presley (ECW Press, 2002) and Skywalker (Sports Publishing Inc., 2003). Terrill recently finished the definitive biography of basketball legend "Pistol" Pete Maravich, which will be published in April 2005 by Sport Classic Books and Elvis: Still Taking Care of Business, with Sonny West."
Which makes me wonder if BK really is his agent?

Ø Vandertigchel, Armand Chef and Author "Wings Across America"

Hm, his name is spelt wrong as well. It's Armand Vanderstigchel, and he appears to be a professional chef. One book Adirondack Cuisine published by Berkshire House 2002, and this one, Wings Across America (chicken wing recipes) by Kensington, 2004. Also not supporting himself by writing, I'd guess, but by cooking. His website is here: <http://www.chefarmand.com/> (and now I'm hungry ...)

Ø Walters, Lillet How to Start a Speaking Career

Her website is here: <http://www.paidpublicspeaking.com/>
Looks as if she supports herself by public speaking, not by writing, but she does have 4 or 5 other books on public speaking, published by McGraw-Hill and Prentice-Hall, from 1992-2002.

Ø Ward, Brendan Ph.D "Mother Courage" with Tyne Daly

The actress Tyne Daly performed in the Bertolt Brecht play 'Mother Courage in 2001. Brendan Ward is the name of an actor, but he doesn't seem to have been in this play, ever. Maybe this is an interview or article? An audio book? Or a figment of BK's imagination?

Ø White, Jane A Few Good Women

published by Prentice Hall in 1992, subtitle is Breaking the Barriers to Top Management. Also wrote Employee Benefits for Small Business, Prentice Hall 1991. Doesn't seem to have published since, couldn't find a website.

What's with the insistence on PhDs and so on? Does that matter? And what a mixed bag of authors!
-Barbara

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Kewl, thanks for taking the time to do all that! :Thumbs:

My small-world moment of the morning: the Orange Senior Center (re: Ashby) has been my polling place on more than one occasion. I've probably met the guy.

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Just noting that of her 32 writers (who allegedly represent some largish quantity of the percentage of writers who support themselves solely by writing):

two are dead.

seven can't be found by book searches and only dubiously by googling their names.

seven have published only one book, and of those, at least three seem to be vanity or self-pubbed.

seven have written one or more books that come directly from their businesses (wedding planning, cooking, public speaking, consulting, health) and probably use the books as an adjunct to the business rather than as a primary career.

four have written or co-written Complete Idiot Guides, which don't require an agent.

one author at least does not appear to be her client, despite being listed by her - how many more aren't really hers?

And as a side note, at least three authors have their names misspelt, and at least four titles appear to be incorrect.
And I'm done.
-Barbara

patersi

BK Nelson Literary Agency and Lecture Bureau

She signed up an already published writer in Europe, leading him to believe that his books would be published in America, as well as made into movies. Her contract ties him up for the next five books for the next five years @ 20% plus $50 for stamps and misc. He is 65 years old and a well know writer. She has done absolutely nothing and there is no proof that she ever submitted any proposals to publishers. Is there any way to check her credentials, or to know if she actually has assisted in getting any books published.
Another story. She called and asked me if I would write a book on 1031 Exchanges and put her name on it as a co-writer. I am a licensed real estate agent since 1971 and was qualified to write this type book, so I agreed. She told me that the book was already sold to Source Books, that I had a month to finish it. I spent evenings and week-ends working on this book. I prepared the submission package and gave it to her. She has never mentioned the 1031 Exchange book again. It has been six months since I wrote this work.

Last edited:

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
patersi said:
She has never mentioned the 1031 Exchange book again. It has been six months since I wrote this work.

Why don't you call her and ask her?

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Hi patersi. Welcome, and I'm sorry you're going through this.

I don't think I'm going to have any solid answer for you anyway, but just to clarify for others who might have better ideas for you:

Are you saying that these are two different contracts, for two different writers? The first writer you're talking about isn't you, but is someone you know?

The second book, the 1031 Exchanges one-- did you have a written contract for it? What were the terms? Did you get any upfront payment for it?

patersi

You are correct. There are two separate contracts.

One is for three already published books to be published in America, herein called the "work" for a period of six months @ 20%. Reasonable expenses in excess of $100 will be reimbursed out of the sale, such as luncheons, travel, and hotel relative to the Work.

The successful sale of the work will extend this agency's exclusive representation for he next five works or for the next five years beginning from the date of the publishing contract of the first sale, whichever comes first.

The 1031 Exchange was written solely by me, but BK Nelson said the work should have her name as a co-writer in order for her to submit it to Source Books. She stated the books are already sold to Source Books, that they had requested a book of this type to be written, (this was in early October), since there are only a few of this type and I must finish the book in a month. My contact is basically written in the same (generic) language as the writer from Europe's contract was written, with only changed names and book titles for each contract. In your opinion, does this all appear to be a normal contract, as to what I have told you? It has been six months and no news of acceptance/rejection.

There are many other issues, as of recent, which seem to be leading down a different avenue. One of them being the fact that she now is appearing to be more concentrated in getting investors to invest in making TV mini series/movies from these books, not a literary agent. So, really, in essence, she is expanding her energies and interests into another diversified field, in searching for investors. She further stated that she was expecting $5million from an investor, in 5 days, to build a TV/movie production business.
Where is she going with all this?
surely, not the old switch & bait game.

Last edited:

patersi

Julie Worth said:
Why don't you call her and ask her?

Been there and done that. I was told the book is being reviwed and it takes a long time.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
patersi said:
Been there and done that. I was told the book is being reviwed and it takes a long time.

If I hadn't heard anything in six months, I'd call again. Esp. if the book was already "sold."

patersi

Julie Worth said:
If I hadn't heard anything in six months, I'd call again. Esp. if the book was already "sold."

Don't have proof that it was sold or even submitted.