Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Elite Finesse Literary Agency (formerly Finesse Literary Agency)

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar

Elite Finesse Literary Agency (formerly Finesse Literary Agency)

Karen Carr, agent

I'm boggled we haven't listed this one yet. The only website I find is one cached from 2002: http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...s&ct=clnk&cd=2

Anyway, this agency has been named one of Writer Beware's 20 Worst Agents/Agencies.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 03-14-2006 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Don't mean nothin' without a thumbs down.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II2014: 2015:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    FYI - Writer Beware reports that:
    - Finesse Literary Agency is now doing business as [The] Elite Finesse Literary Agency. (How do we know? The owner, Karen Carr, didn't change her name--or her fee-charging M.O.)
    Other listings include K.E. Carr / The Elite Finesse Literary Publishing Agency.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II2014: 2015:

Resident Bubble Girl bubblegirl's Avatar
    I have to say, anyone looking for an agent should read Preditors and Editors first. Victoria, your crew have a great website there. I always check on there before contacting firms. Let's say, I've had bad experiences in the past.

S.
    Season BubbleGirl

Author and motivation icon: housebound due to immune disease since 1997, yet still achieving!

www.bubblegirl.net - where individuality truly shines!

Cover Karma - 3 for 3 KICK@$$! Kasey Mackenzie's Avatar
    Okay--now THAT'S a brilliant name change. Nobody will EVER guess that The Elite Finesse Literary Agency is the same as the Finesse Literary Agency. No, really...um...yeah.

(*insert sarcasm notice for those who can't detect it easily*)
    Good things come to those who wait...and work their tails off!!!

Coming Soon on Kindle: Reborn in Fire

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bubblegirl
    I have to say, anyone looking for an agent should read Preditors and Editors first. Victoria, your crew have a great website there.
    Actually, P&E is Dave Kuzminski (who I'm sure will appreciate your compliment). Ann Crispin and I run Writer Beware, which has a similar mission but is a separate operation (we provide general warnings about literary fraud plus some specific alerts, while Dave provides lists of agents and publishers with specific notations as to which ones charge fees, etc.)

- Victoria

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Finesse

I used Karen about 7-8 years ago when I was a young(er), unpublished author. I had yet to learn the BUSINESS of writing, but my eyes are wide open now. Ms. Carr sat on my work for 4-5 months despite assuring me that publishers would be contacted fairly quickly. She charged me a fee (which is a no-no for a professional, but I didn't know that at the time), then didn't cash my check for 9 months. I have no idea if she actually contacted any of the publishers she said she did, but based on the responses (or lack thereof), I have to assume the worse. That episode turned me off to agents permanently, and I have been published by legitimate publishing houses three times since, so I won't be going back to an agency.
    Last edited by Richkd; 04-21-2008 at 01:14 AM.

Hi Richkd:

Welcome. Congratulations on your pubs without an agent! You do realize that you've never been represented by an agency though, right? Lumping working with an agent in with being scammed by a preditor leaves you with an unfortunate misconception of the process.

It's supposed to be difficult, not useless.

GB
    Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle

Quote Originally Posted by Richkd View Post
    That episode turned me off to agents permanently
    I don't understand this. A fraudulent, incompetent agency is not representative of what legitimate, competent agencies can provide. It's like saying "I was ripped off by a quack, so no more doctors for me!"

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Smile Thank You

I just wanted to say thank you so much. The Elite Finesse Literary Agency just contacted me about a series of books I am working on wanting to know if I could submit some more sample chapters. Then she asked me to pay her $170 total for recieving my information. Being a new writer and trying to get published I almost paid her; however I ran across this website first and refuse to pay her now. Thank you so much for helping new authors like me.