• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

CounterPunch Magazine

Beltway scribe

Registered
Reaction score
The most inhuman editors to writers can be those who take up the most humanitarian causes. I submitted an article to Counterpunch, which takes up every liberal cause you can imagine, making it clear I would require payment. Editor Jeffery St. Clair published it immediately. I contacted the office asking for payment. The business manager agreed to send me a modest sum. I thought that settled the matter but then I got the following rant from him. Of course, his account of the conversation is fiction as I had a cordial chat with his business manager that I thought settled the matter, as she later confirmed. I thought his response was a joke initially until I saw he took the article down from the website out of spite. Amazing that he denigrates my writing, considering that he immediately published it without editing it or asking questions. And amazing that he says I should have contacted him when he didn't respond to my emails or calls except for the below screed. Consider it if you're ever thinking of writing for Counterpunch:

Charles

I just heard from [redacted] about your brutish browbeating of her over your limp little story, which didn't have the intellectual substance or rhetorical verve to appear in the print edition of CounterPunch.
Ñext time you want to pick on someone, stop being such a gutless little jerk and call me. I had to endure the Bethesda crowd for four years while going to school in DC. I know well the scabrous & misogynistic mentality of its residents. You'll get your filthy check and I'll wipe your piece from CP's pages and you can go back to posting your tedious prose on the dismal swamp of the DC Examiner.

JSC
[redacted]

PS--As Cockburn once said, bragging about winning a Project Censored Award is like bragging about having your name in the phonebook, although he said that at a time when when phonebooks were still being published.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
Harsh, though I'm not entirely surprised by the rant considering the allegations of antisemitism of the site.

cwschizzy

Eviscerate the Proletariat
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch. Seconded, not shocked by the ass-ishness given what I've heard about the site.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
Frankly, the stuff they allowed to be posted on Israel alone was a complete turn off for me and would have been a complete turn off even if I was a dyed in the wool leftist through and through. They have openly featured writers there who are literally ok with the whole nation burning to the ground and place Israel in the same category as Nazi era Germany. Look up Asad Abu Khalil aka the Angry Arab for an outrageous example - he has alienated even other hard leftist profs like Norman Finkelstein and yet has a home at CounterPunch.

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
Frankly, the stuff they allowed to be posted on Israel alone was a complete turn off for me and would have been a complete turn off even if I was a dyed in the wool leftist through and through. They have openly featured writers there who are literally ok with the whole nation burning to the ground and place Israel in the same category as Nazi era Germany. Look up Asad Abu Khalil aka the Angry Arab for an outrageous example - he has alienated even other hard leftist profs like Norman Finkelstein and yet has a home at CounterPunch.

Isreal is acting like Nazi-Germany. They have illegal occuopations to get lebensraum, they collectively punish the Palestinian people, they have built ghettos for the Palestinians that they control goods into. Israel is a fascist state by any sane criteria.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
*achem* This is not the place for political commentary.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How incredibly unprofessional. What is he, like twelve?

Maryn, astonished

Beltway scribe

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn,

Who are you referring to as unprofessional? The editor cited in the original post, or a commentator?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Ermm -- I have to admit, this is an editorial letter I can well imagine myself writing, under the right circumstances.

I'm wondering why you don't just shrug it off and move on to the next market, Beltway Scribe?

This clearly isn't a market that screwed you over, in terms of pay. They aren't misrepresenting themselves, or anything like that -- you just got an email from an editor, and you object to the tone he took.

That happens. It's unremarkable. It's not, frankly, the kind of thing that anyone but you is gonna get their knickers in a big twist over.

Last edited:

Beltway scribe

Registered
Reaction score
He did "screw me over" to use your terms. He printed it without intention to pay me when I made it clear he could publish it only if he paid me.

epublishabook

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.epublishabook.com
He did "screw me over" to use your terms. He printed it without intention to pay me when I made it clear he could publish it only if he paid me.

Hi Beltway, so, it is your wish to be paid for your work that warrants the qualification of being a "gutless little jerk"?

I guess that means only slaves have guts ;)