The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Stillwater Literary Agency (formerly Sherwood Broome, Inc.) (Mark Black)

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar

Thumbs down Stillwater Literary Agency (formerly Sherwood Broome, Inc.) (Mark Black)

Mark Black, agent.

FYI: This agency has been named one of Writer Beware's 20 Worst Agents/Agencies.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

FYI - Writer Beware reports that:
    ...Sherwood Broome, Inc. is now doing business as Stillwater Literary Agency. (How do we know? Same agent--Mark Black. Different mailing address, but same location: Stillwater County, Montana. Same verbiage on website and publicity materials.)
    And same lack of sales info. http://www.stillwaterliteraryagency.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

practical experience, FTW
    I got a letter long ago from Sherwood Broome, Inc. and never answered it, he just knew I was writing a book and I had never told anyone. I think he got my name off the list of names from Long Ridge Writers.

Stillwater Literary Agency

Today I received a direct solicitation in the mail from Stillwater Literary Agency, which as far as I can tell is based in Middle of Nowhere, Montana. The solicitation contained a brochure advertising the college degrees of the proprietors and advertised editing services, but listed no proof of sales or editorial contacts. I have no idea where these people got my contact info (Writer's Digest mailing list, perhaps?). Any agency that has to send out junk mail solicitations is one to avoid. . .
    www.jamaicalayne.com, http://jamaicalayne.blogspot.com
    www.ravenousromance.com

MARKET FOR LOVE now available; Buy it here.

[Jamaica Layne] has built a multifaceted writing career, in genres ranging from theater to erotic fiction"---Chicago Tribune

"Layne sucks you in and doesn't let go until the last page."--Love Romance Passion.com

"Once you read Jamaica Layne, she will be on your auto-buy list."----Dirty Girl Reviews, on MARKET FOR LOVE

4 Stars!----Romantic Times Magazine

In a state of denial...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakamonda View Post
    Today I received a direct solicitation in the mail from Stillwater Literary Agency, which as far as I can tell is based in Middle of Nowhere, Montana. The solicitation contained a brochure advertising the college degrees of the proprietors and advertised editing services, but listed no proof of sales or editorial contacts. I have no idea where these people got my contact info (Writer's Digest mailing list, perhaps?). Any agency that has to send out junk mail solicitations is one to avoid. . .

Did you run 'em through Preditors?
    I've never heard of them. The direct mailing would make me hinky too.

I checked P&E for ya:

Charges fee. Not recommended. Also a Top Twenty worst according to Writer Beware. A literary agency.

In a state of denial...
    Stillwater is a "not recommended" by Preditors and Editors. A BIG warning sign. IMHO, I'd pitch the flyer and keep looking.

In a state of denial...
    Quote Originally Posted by NiennaC View Post
    I checked P&E for ya:
    Nienna's got your back. Welcome, Nienna!!

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    Is their office out back in that teepee?

In a state of denial...
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Worth View Post
    Is their office out back in that teepee?
    Do you think that thing's wired for the Internet?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy J View Post
    Nienna's got your back. Welcome, Nienna!!
    Thanks so much Sandy!

I just googled the name. Here's what it says on their own website:

Regarding websites on the Internet that have posted "information" about our agency and myself, Mark Black:

We are aware of such postings which warn against paying any fees for editing or representation of literary material. We can only offer our viewpoint in rebuttal.

We provide a service for writers. Our services are aimed to assist developing and selling writers' material to publishers. We cannot, nor do we, promise to sell any offering, as only a publisher can do so. We can only do our best toward making a success of each work we handle.

We do offer editorial assistance. Any fees are based on the amount of work necessary to make a manuscript publisher-ready. We only offer editing on material that will benefit from such work and is needed before submission to publishers, regardless of who may perform any such revision.

Since all marketing is undertaken on speculation, we do sometimes ask for an advance against potential commissions for unpublished first-time and/or unknown writers to help cover our overhead. If successful in placing a literary property with a royalty-paying publisher, we refund any advance in its entirety and do not ask for any further advances on additional works.
    All fees are directly stated for any services offered. There are never any additional fees or hidden costs associated with handling a manuscript.

Spreading dirt and mudslinging are not something we take lightly, especially when the ones doing so are selling their "services" at our expense. We are available to discuss any and all aspects of an author's writing and its potential, not like the faceless, nameless blogs on the Internet. We believe in ourselves and our clients.

I especially like the section in blue. So that means, that if we want to ask them for representation, we may be expected to pay them an advance for their editorial services because of the amount of time they may take up with us to help cover their overhead. A form rejection from a reputable agent sounds better to me.

OMG, that's classic. This is the first time I've ever heard of an agent asking an author for a...wait for it...an advance. Dear God.

Tri

Preditors & Editors Requiescat In Pace DaveKuzminski's Avatar
    All right now, has someone taken my name and face? If so, I want it back.
    When it comes to PA, the royalty check and the reality check arrive in the same envelope.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.

Formerly known as Sherwood Broome, Inc., the name change occurred shortly after The List went public.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 05-29-2008 at 12:12 AM. Reason: threads merged, link moot
    ICAO
    ---------

Stillwater site is gone. No immediate sign of new incarnations.
    ICAO
    ---------

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go Gravity's Avatar
    Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
    And the church said, "amen."
    John Robinson (formerly Cameron Bane ... RIP)