Time to post

Bethliam

Registered
Reaction score
Hello to All :)

I joined a few days ago and have been poking around the forums before I submit my NOOB post! I am a newbie here and a newbie writer. I have wanted to write as long as I could remember. I was recently off for 6 weeks for a surgery and read so many books, I finally said that's it I know I can do it! And now here I am learning as I go and crossing my fingers.

I have a great childhood friend who does bookreviews through facebook who is now my sound board. I sent her my first 7 chapters to get feedback, and to test her, see if she would want to continue to read or throw it in a shredder.

I decided my first would be the type of book I love to read. Crime Fiction with a little love.

She loved it told me watch my comas (they are my weak spot) and now I keep on typing!! Glad to have found this wonderful forum and hope to learn and make some friends along the way!!

Bethliam

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Bethliam

Registered
Reaction score
TY

Thanks Reddog and Rusty. And no worries on the 50 posts my work is no where ready to be posted here. I will read the links and forums for now. I am so glad I found this forum. It has already helped me with a few things I needed.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Crime Fiction with a little love.

:welcome:, Beth. I, too, write crime fiction with a little romance in the mix. We're getting more mystery writers joining these days. Maybe it's time to try for another mystery writers group. :Shrug:

She loved it told me watch my comas (they are my weak spot)

I, also, try to avoid falling into comas. It's always a good friend who urges us to write when fully conscious. I'm fortunate to have a couple of those friends. :D

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Hello! I don't write crime fiction, but I love reading it.

Good luck with your writing and welcome to AW.:D

sic_scripsit

l'il cat inna big tophat
Registered
Reaction score
I, too, am a comma addict; though, the occasional semicolon will do in a pinch, I definitely prefer the comma, at least, over other forms of punctuation: colons, I like them as well, but nothing satisfies, truly satisfies, like a good, squiggly, comma; I mean, a semicolon is only so good, in retrospect, as a means to get you to what you're really, deeply, craving; and that, my friend, is the delicious, pause-inducing, stop-and-smell the roses, or, I suppose, pansies, if you like that sort of thing, or, really, any nice, fresh, enervating, botanical smell - like a comma; I try to break my habit - and my sentences - up with the occasional use, perhaps abuse, of a dash; but, it only seems to be a "dash", if you will, to the next, and the next, and yet the next, comma; sometimes, I think, perhaps, just maybe, an intervention may be called for; perhaps from my friends, perhaps from my family, perhaps, even, from my fellow writers; but, truly, how could I manage, even function properly, without my beloved, effervescent, ever present.... Well, you know, comma.

(Don't laugh... This is really how I write sometimes. When I proof a rough draft I often call it "comma pruning") X^D

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Those comas are a weak spot for all of us. Nothing sucks like being unable to wake up and write. ;)

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Yea, those commas will get you. I'm good with almost every comma rule...except coordinate and cumulative adjectives. I know all the tricks for them, but I still goof them up sometimes.

Smeasking

Just call me "Sox" :)
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Beth! And congrats on getting seven chapters done on your novel. AW is a great place to help you learn and grow in your writing. :)

Bethliam

Registered
Reaction score
:)

Thank you, all of you!!

It's is so comforting to know I'm not the only one with the comma thing.. I was really starting to worry over it and these posts have made me laugh and put me at ease.. I am so glad to have found this forum, it gives me a little more faith that I am able to do this!!!

Thank you all!!!:Hug2:

jerrimander

No one takes me seriously. Really.
Registered
Reaction score
Add enough punctuation, your word count goes up!
Welcome! From a fellow new writer stumbling her way thru the dark and treacherous forests of Firstdraftdom.

grayworld

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I, too, suck at commas. Pretty sure I added or subtracted a few in this very post. But having someone willing to read and honestly comment on your work is a huge plus. I'm also a fan of genre-bending, so I think you'll do okay :)

jennmarie

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Yeah, I used to hate commas, but now I love them! Doesn't mean that I use them correctly, but they've definitely grown on me. Happy writing! :)

Jaycee Young

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Bethliam and I wish you the best on your writing journey.

Bethliam

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I, too, suck at commas. Pretty sure I added or subtracted a few in this very post. But having someone willing to read and honestly comment on your work is a huge plus. I'm also a fan of genre-bending, so I think you'll do okay :)

Thanks, I think I have wanted to write for the last 15 years and instead I always read a book. I am still reading but find myself studying the way it is written more and more. All the posts here have been so helpful in reminding myself I can do it. And all I learn by reading different threads is helping me as I go..

You guys all rock!!!!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I joined a few days ago and have been poking around the forums...

Well, in that case, I'm just gonna have to poke you back. :poke:

(In other words, you, Dear Newbie, have just been Laverned)

:welcome: