AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spieler Agency

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    You can query as many as you like; only partials and fulls trigger "simultaneous submissions" rules.
    Oh I don't know. I think that simultaneous queries to agents in the same agency are often frowned upon. Serial queries are generally okay except where they say they aren't, or where all queries go through the same person. Even so, if you wait long enough, and change the title, you can often get around those problems.
    Last edited by Julie Worth; 02-25-2008 at 11:57 PM.

Return of the Jedi juneafternoon's Avatar
    Most agencies ask you to query one agent at a time. The only one I can think of as an exception would be FinePrint, which allows simultaneous subs to different agents. On a different note, a lot of agencies also allow you to query another agent once one has passed on your project. An exception to this would be Andrea Brown, where a rejection is from the agency in whole, not just a select agent.

They say nothing to the effect of no requerying different agents, so I'll take that to mean I can Thanks!
    - June
    Not my real name, but since everyone has taken to calling me that, I'll just go with the flow
    Current Musical Obsession: Electronica
    Genres: Trance, House, Techno, Dance
    Currently Reading: Teach Me by R.A. Nelson

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Worth View Post
    Oh I don't know. I think that simultaneous queries to agents in the same agency are often frowned upon. Serial queries are generally okay except where they say they aren't, or where all queries go through the same person. Even so, if you wait long enough, and change the title, you can often get around those problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by juneafternoon View Post
    Most agencies ask you to query one agent at a time. The only one I can think of as an exception would be FinePrint, which allows simultaneous subs to different agents. On a different note, a lot of agencies also allow you to query another agent once one has passed on your project. An exception to this would be Andrea Brown, where a rejection is from the agency in whole, not just a select agent.

They say nothing to the effect of no requerying different agents, so I'll take that to mean I can Thanks!
    True, that; I didn't catch the context. Don't mind me.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW
    Has anyone queried Deirdre Mullane or dealt with her? She only reps nonfiction.

practical experience, FTW JamieB's Avatar
    I just sent my full to Eric Meyers. Anyone know about how long his response time usually is? I queried yesterday, so..so far he's pretty quick.
    NY Times & USA Today Bestselling Author
    www.jamieblairauthor.com

Young Adult
    Romance

I talked to Mr. Meyers. He was nice. Our conversation was....confusing. He suggested I pay a professional editor and will be emailing me names. Is that normal?
    www.jamieblairauthor.com

Young Adult
    Romance

Quote Originally Posted by JamieB View Post
    I talked to Mr. Meyers. He was nice. Our conversation was....confusing. He suggested I pay a professional editor and will be emailing me names. Is that normal?
    I suggest you query around for another agent who would be happy to edit the stuff for free if they really like your work.

Yeah, I thought that was considered a red flag, so I wanted to mention it.
    www.jamieblairauthor.com

Young Adult
    Romance

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I just submitted a full to Myers, but now I'm getting a little nervous. Has anyone had a positive interaction with him? I've tried to find examples of things he's successfully repped, but I'm having a hard time. Any advice?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Post #17 on the first page of this thread lists many of his sales. There's also this.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

i just queried him and got a lightning fast response (4AM his time) for the first two chapters. ive heard nothing but great things about him so im a little surprised to hear about the referral to a professional editor... seems a little strange?
    i twitter.
    i blog, too.
    Represented by the ever-fabulous Jodi Reamer of Writers House, LLC.

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by thmafi View Post
    i just queried him and got a lightning fast response (4AM his time) for the first two chapters. ive heard nothing but great things about him so im a little surprised to hear about the referral to a professional editor... seems a little strange?
    Kimberley Cameron made a similar suggestion to me earlier this year, and sent me a list of possibles. I've never heard she's anything but reputable, even top notch.

practical experience, FTW bclement412's Avatar
    Does anyone know which agents rep YA? From the website, I couldn't tell each agent's individual preferences.
    ------------------------
    Blue Abyss (YA Paranormal) 62K

15 Partials (4 Rs, 3 request for revisions, 1 request for larger partial, 1 request for full)
    6 Fulls (1 R)
    65 Rejections
    4 personalized query Rs

------------------------
    Damaged (Edgy YA)

1st Draft (1/30/10): 8,500 words

Blog: Author Interviews/ARC reviews

practical experience, FTW Peachnuts's Avatar
    I just queried him yesterday and got a request for the (non-fiction) proposal today!

Mild-mannered accountant by day...
    Queried Eric Myers last night. Received a very polite note this morning informing me that he's no longer looking for mysteries.

Sockpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by gettingby View Post
    Has anyone queried Deirdre Mullane or dealt with her? She only reps nonfiction.
    Deirdre seems to have gone indie: http://www.mullaneliterary.com/

A supposedly unaffiliated "MLA Editorial Services" on her website is charging fee-based manuscript development services. Dave at P&E has been notified.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Plum View Post
    Deirdre seems to have gone indie: http://www.mullaneliterary.com/

A supposedly unaffiliated "MLA Editorial Services" on her website is charging fee-based manuscript development services. Dave at P&E has been notified.
    I've just dealt with Mullane for a promotion for one of her clients (through my work). She's sold non-fiction to some big houses, so she's legit, and from what I could see, she clearly hustles for her clients. The MLA Editorial Services thing bothered me a little. Then again, she agents non-fiction almost exclusively. As I understand it, non-fiction books often go to publishers more with a proposal than a finished manuscript. It's a different world from fiction.

Jump in the way of good luck flygal716's Avatar
    Does anyone know if Eric Myers is still not looking for mysteries? On the QT site it's listed as one of his genres.

Thanks!

Website
    DEATH OVER EASY, coming in September 2013 from Five Star
    DEATH UNDER THE RADAR, WIP

Anyone know if they're ok with science fiction? Does seem to state so on PM, so I'm guessing not.
    False Hearts (2016, Macmillan/Tor)
    Shattered Minds (2017, Macmillan/Tor)

Micah Grey:
    Pantomime (2015/2016, Tor UK)
    Shadowplay (2015/2016, Tor UK)
    Masquerade (2017, Tor UK)
    Vestigial Tales (2014, self-published)

Website / Twitter / Goodreads

practical experience, FTW Jake Barnes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flygal716 View Post
    Does anyone know if Eric Myers is still not looking for mysteries? On the QT site it's listed as one of his genres.

Thanks!
    In a couple of interviews he gave in the last year he said he wasn't crazy about mysteries because he'd found them to be a hard sell. He didn't say he wasn't looking at them at all and I queried him on mine last week.

Just wanted to drop by and say that I received and accepted an offer of rep from Eric in September. He did ask me to get my MS professionally proofread, which I was fine with. He sold my book to Dial about two weeks later. He's been a great advocate for me and I've been very happy working with him.
    Last edited by meddyK; 12-14-2011 at 08:14 AM.
    CONTROL (YA Sci-Fi) Dial/Penguin, December 2013
    CATALYST (Control #2), Kathy Dawson Books/Penguin, March 2015
    Repped by Eric Myers of the Spieler Agency
    Blog
    Twitter
    Website

EQ to Eric Myers: 5/27/13
    Full request: 5/28/13

YA Science-fiction 67K words

Caveat is that he's on vacation at the moment and said that I should send him the full if I don't have an agent by the time he gets back.

Quote Originally Posted by Thedrellum View Post
    EQ to Eric Myers: 5/27/13
    Full request: 5/28/13

YA Science-fiction 67K words

Caveat is that he's on vacation at the moment and said that I should send him the full if I don't have an agent by the time he gets back.
    That's awesome, Thedrellum! Good luck!
    J.B. Kantt

WIW (~70K), TZS (~83K), SP (~53K), and ZT (~52K) : Shelved ... For Now

RAR: Now Available on Amazon! (~62K words)

TSW
    : Querying

ZA: Outlined, will be written soon

Stop by my blog sometime!
    J.A.Y.A.! (Journey of an Aspiring Young Author)

Federal Agent, Novelist Simon Gervais's Avatar
    I can testify that Eric Myers has a stellar reputation within the publishing industry. I met him at the 2013 ThrillerFest and we "clicked" right away. He has a great personality, loves books and he's totally dedicated to his clients. If he's interested in your work, you'll know soon enough.

Good luck with your submission!
    Simon Gervais
    http://simongervaisbooks.com

"Gervais is a thriller writer to watch" —Library Journal
    "Thrilling" —Nelson DeMille

- THE THIN BLACK LINE (Over 30K copies sold)
    - A LONG GRAY LINE
    - A RED DOTTED LINE (November 2016)

Represented by Eric Myers of Dystel & Goderich Literary Management.

Federal Agent, Novelist Simon Gervais's Avatar
    For those interested, on May 2nd 2014, Eric Myers sold my international thriller to Lou Aronica at The Story Plant, in a two-book deal. If you'd like to meet him, Eric will be attending PitchFest (ThrillerFest) next July in NYC.

All best,
    Simon
    Simon Gervais
    http://simongervaisbooks.com

"Gervais is a thriller writer to watch" —Library Journal
    "Thrilling" —Nelson DeMille

- THE THIN BLACK LINE (Over 30K copies sold)
    - A LONG GRAY LINE
    - A RED DOTTED LINE (November 2016)

Represented by Eric Myers of Dystel & Goderich Literary Management.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast