• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Spieler Agency

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
You can query as many as you like; only partials and fulls trigger "simultaneous submissions" rules.

Oh I don't know. I think that simultaneous queries to agents in the same agency are often frowned upon. Serial queries are generally okay except where they say they aren't, or where all queries go through the same person. Even so, if you wait long enough, and change the title, you can often get around those problems.

Last edited:

juneafternoon

Return of the Jedi
Registered
Reaction score
Most agencies ask you to query one agent at a time. The only one I can think of as an exception would be FinePrint, which allows simultaneous subs to different agents. On a different note, a lot of agencies also allow you to query another agent once one has passed on your project. An exception to this would be Andrea Brown, where a rejection is from the agency in whole, not just a select agent.

They say nothing to the effect of no requerying different agents, so I'll take that to mean I can :) Thanks!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I don't know. I think that simultaneous queries to agents in the same agency are often frowned upon. Serial queries are generally okay except where they say they aren't, or where all queries go through the same person. Even so, if you wait long enough, and change the title, you can often get around those problems.

Most agencies ask you to query one agent at a time. The only one I can think of as an exception would be FinePrint, which allows simultaneous subs to different agents. On a different note, a lot of agencies also allow you to query another agent once one has passed on your project. An exception to this would be Andrea Brown, where a rejection is from the agency in whole, not just a select agent.

They say nothing to the effect of no requerying different agents, so I'll take that to mean I can :) Thanks!
True, that; I didn't catch the context. Don't mind me. :e2dance:

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone queried Deirdre Mullane or dealt with her? She only reps nonfiction.

Vermilion

Sleepless in Asia
Registered
Reaction score
I talked to Mr. Meyers. He was nice. Our conversation was....confusing. He suggested I pay a professional editor and will be emailing me names. Is that normal?

I suggest you query around for another agent who would be happy to edit the stuff for free if they really like your work. :)

ReaderWriterMe

Registered
Reaction score
I just submitted a full to Myers, but now I'm getting a little nervous. Has anyone had a positive interaction with him? I've tried to find examples of things he's successfully repped, but I'm having a hard time. Any advice?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Post #17 on the first page of this thread lists many of his sales. There's also this.

thmafi

wobbly...
Registered
Reaction score
i just queried him and got a lightning fast response (4AM his time) for the first two chapters. ive heard nothing but great things about him so im a little surprised to hear about the referral to a professional editor... seems a little strange?

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
i just queried him and got a lightning fast response (4AM his time) for the first two chapters. ive heard nothing but great things about him so im a little surprised to hear about the referral to a professional editor... seems a little strange?

Kimberley Cameron made a similar suggestion to me earlier this year, and sent me a list of possibles. I've never heard she's anything but reputable, even top notch.

bclement412

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know which agents rep YA? From the website, I couldn't tell each agent's individual preferences.

mtrenteseau

Mild-mannered accountant by day...
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Eric Myers last night. Received a very polite note this morning informing me that he's no longer looking for mysteries.

Sushi

Registered
Reaction score
Deirdre seems to have gone indie: http://www.mullaneliterary.com/

A supposedly unaffiliated "MLA Editorial Services" on her website is charging fee-based manuscript development services. Dave at P&E has been notified.
I've just dealt with Mullane for a promotion for one of her clients (through my work). She's sold non-fiction to some big houses, so she's legit, and from what I could see, she clearly hustles for her clients. The MLA Editorial Services thing bothered me a little. Then again, she agents non-fiction almost exclusively. As I understand it, non-fiction books often go to publishers more with a proposal than a finished manuscript. It's a different world from fiction.

flygal716

Jump in the way of good luck
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Eric Myers is still not looking for mysteries? On the QT site it's listed as one of his genres.

Thanks!

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know if they're ok with science fiction? Does seem to state so on PM, so I'm guessing not.

Jake Barnes

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Eric Myers is still not looking for mysteries? On the QT site it's listed as one of his genres.

Thanks!

In a couple of interviews he gave in the last year he said he wasn't crazy about mysteries because he'd found them to be a hard sell. He didn't say he wasn't looking at them at all and I queried him on mine last week.

meddyK

One word at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to drop by and say that I received and accepted an offer of rep from Eric in September. He did ask me to get my MS professionally proofread, which I was fine with. He sold my book to Dial about two weeks later. He's been a great advocate for me and I've been very happy working with him. :)

Last edited:

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
EQ to Eric Myers: 5/27/13
Full request: 5/28/13

YA Science-fiction 67K words

Caveat is that he's on vacation at the moment and said that I should send him the full if I don't have an agent by the time he gets back.

J.B.Kantt

Debut Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jbkantt.blogspot.com
EQ to Eric Myers: 5/27/13
Full request: 5/28/13

YA Science-fiction 67K words

Caveat is that he's on vacation at the moment and said that I should send him the full if I don't have an agent by the time he gets back.

That's awesome, Thedrellum! Good luck! :)

Simon Gervais

Federal Agent, Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
I can testify that Eric Myers has a stellar reputation within the publishing industry. I met him at the 2013 ThrillerFest and we "clicked" right away. He has a great personality, loves books and he's totally dedicated to his clients. If he's interested in your work, you'll know soon enough.

Good luck with your submission!

Simon Gervais

Federal Agent, Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
For those interested, on May 2nd 2014, Eric Myers sold my international thriller to Lou Aronica at The Story Plant, in a two-book deal. If you'd like to meet him, Eric will be attending PitchFest (ThrillerFest) next July in NYC.

All best,
Simon