Sharing ISBN's

Status
Not open for further replies.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
A lot of good points (and sorry for ignoring this thread so long, for some reason I don't seem to get notified when a subscribed thread is updated, even when I specifically ask for an email when it is). It looks like if I want to go the imprint route I do need to make it closer friends only.

It seems as if the only way in the UK is to buy the 10 which is not ideal, all the options for purchasing one (apart from the Createspace one) seem to be US based and since everyone is quoting prices in dollars for the createspace one it may not be an option in the UK either (I do need to check). I did ask an experienced UK self publisher what she did about this and her option was the 10 in one go deal. But I will look into other options. It just seems a waste as I a) really do want to use an ISBN for both stories and b) I am not sure if I will ever need another one (though if these do well I may do and there was mention of multiple format needs so maybe...)

As for the distribution issue... an ISBN just gets you listed. If you are with a publisher they do the promotion and sort out the distribution. A SP has to do all that themselves. You could argue that trade publishers have more established routes to do that, of course, which gives them an advantage but to get a SP book into a store you, the 'publisher' has to actively contact the shops and ask them... just as the TP's do.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
If you have two stories, 10 ISBNs isn't really too many. Remember, you need a different one for each format. So if you publish in EPUB, MOBI, and paperback, that's 3 ISBNs each = 6. If you do an audiobook and a PDF, that's 5 ISBNs each = 10. So for two stories, ten ISBNs isn't really too far off what you actually need. :)

Deleted member 42

As for the distribution issue... an ISBN just gets you listed. If you are with a publisher they do the promotion and sort out the distribution.

Especially if you're primarily making digital formats, I'd suggest waiting to see how it works out for you.

You can always do a second edition and get ISBNs then.

Getting listed isn't going to do much for you; being on the retailers' sites (Amazon's sites, B &N, Smashwords) doesn't require a proprietary ISBN.

I hate to see authors spending money before they've made money.

Status
Not open for further replies.