Book Distributors/Wholesalers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I suspect there's already a thread here somewhere that I've missed, but I didn't see one specifically.

Has anyone used a book distributor (wholesaler? not quite sure of the best terminology in regards to this) to distribute their self-published titles to book stores?

If so, who do you use, and how does it work? Are you able to print your books through POD printers, or do they need to be primarily offset runs?

I think http://www.midpointtrade.com/ is an example of what I'm thinking of, but I was wondering if it (and companies like this) would be a useful tool for someone who was self-publishing.

Thanks for any input; I've been curious about this for a while now. :)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
A post I wrote over on the SFWA Writer Beware blog might help to understand what they are and what each one does.

But I wrote the post several years ago, so which companies will take on SP books may have changed. Look at some of the links I post to see if there are some updated lists. You might also try the independent publisher association branch closest to you to see if they have a list of distributors in your area. I LOVE independent publisher associations like the one in Colorado that the small press that published my first book belonged to. They're awesome for small/self publishers. :)

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Thanks for the link; there's some useful information there. I wonder how much has changed since you wrote it. It also reminds me that I should talk to the independent book store in my area and see which associations they work with.

I don't have anything I'm trying to self-publish/promote yet, but I'm trying to gather information in the event that I do. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.