• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Writer Beware's 20 Worst Agents

Loretta

Registered
Reaction score
I know, I dart over here everytime I have a new agent thing to look at. And they're keeping a close eye on the one in particular who keeps changing hats:)

CyberCrone

Registered
Reaction score
Say, I don't suppose you have "20 Worst Publishers", too?

Or would it just be PA listed twenty times?
grinning-smiley-047.gif

This is not the first place I've seen a reference to "PA" publisher? but no one seems to think it necessary to spell it out the first time it is used - ALWAYS a good practice, and saves people who aren't familiar with it some irritable frustration. Who/what are you referring to, please?

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
This is not the first place I've seen a reference to "PA" publisher? but no one seems to think it necessary to spell it out the first time it is used - ALWAYS a good practice, and saves people who aren't familiar with it some irritable frustration. Who/what are you referring to, please?

PA is PublishAmerica, possibly one of the worst vanities out there. They have their own subforum here in Bewares and Background Check, which kind of attests to how bad they are. Have a look if you ever need a reason why buying your own overpriced books is a bad idea ;)

Welcome to AW, hope you stick around! Lots of good stuff here.

CyberCrone

Registered
Reaction score
PA is PublishAmerica, possibly one of the worst vanities out there. They have their own subforum here in Bewares and Background Check, which kind of attests to how bad they are. Have a look if you ever need a reason why buying your own overpriced books is a bad idea ;)

Welcome to AW, hope you stick around! Lots of good stuff here.

Thanks! I went to the page for ten worst publishers and found out there that PA is PublishAmerica but I appreciate your reply. I also read part of one of the 'sting' novels sent to them, deliberately terrible writing, to prove they will accept anything no matter how bad, and was disappointed--I could have written much worse! :cool: I would have started with "It was a dark and stormy night as Ellery lunged at the supine figure of Cecile...".

MMcQuown

Banned
Reaction score
That can be tricky re Ms Bauer. When I worked for a newspaper, we had it drummed into our heads that "Truth is no defense in libel." I don't think that has changed.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
Libel by very definition is a false and malicious statement. If what is being said about Bauer is neither malicious or false, then there is no claim of libel. Truth isn't always pretty, but stating truth doesn't make it malicious.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Truth is an absolute defense against allegations of slander or libel. What it's not a defense against is being sued. Whether what you've said is true or not, the true burden of a lawsuit--as many who bring frivolous suits know full well--is being forced to spend time and money responding.

- Victoria

Cushnoc

Registered
Reaction score
Is the Harris Agency on the list the Joy Harris Agency? (If not, it might be prudent to specify that....) Thanks.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, the Harris in question is Barbara J. Harris. But it'd be good to add that for the casual reader....

ETA: added name to ATP's post. You'll hafta bug Writer Beware to add it to the source list. :D

Last edited:

14times

Registered
Reaction score
Posted on the wrong thread, silly me!

Last edited:

Ardent Kat

Kill your television
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katherineokelly.com
The link in the OP is now a "404 File not found" page. (Forgive me if this was already mentioned between the first page and the last; just didn't know if this should still be stickied if the source link was gone)

rbuckley9104

Fiction Writer
Registered
Reaction score
The writers beware list of the 20 worst agents is an invaluable resource and one that I wish I had read sooner. I'm new to this site, but I find that agents are mentioned in the "Bewares and Background" threads almost daily. I'd like to add from my own experience with a bit of speculation.

If an agent cannot afford a particular writer some hope of publication through the agent's contacts, a fee prior to publication is more likely to be the result. Agents who cannot to some degree assure publication are more likely to have little to no income and therefore are more disposed to charging a writer a fee. If an agent has any confidence or success, he or she will not have to charge a fee. Consequently, an agent charging a fee should be a warning alarm to any prospective writer.

One such agency is Cambridge Literary Associates. They charge a sizeable fee upfront prior to publication and offer little in return. I made the mistake of not listening to such a warning alarm and received very little in return for my up front fee. For what it is worth, I offer this thread as first hand experience with paying an agent a fee and the consequences. I also advise that Cambridge Literary Associates in not an agency that may be depended upon to competently represent a prospective writer. This is borne out by other contributers to this site. See "Bewares and Background/Cambridge Literary Associates" for more detail.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
rbuckley, agents sell to publishers regularly. Legit agents never charge fees. People who call themselves agents but don't have the experience and contacts to actually sell manuscripts aren't agents no matter how many times they tell people they are. You can paint a duck to look like a swan, but it's still a duck.

Welcome to AW, by the way. Hope you'll stick around.

adnan

Registered
Reaction score
Do we also have a list of "20 Best Agents" ? That'd be equally good.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's impossible to make such a list, adnan, because most agents only represent a particular type or genre of book, and all writers have different desires and needs for their work.

kkwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, this is a great resource to have. Many thanks!