• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Writer Beware's 20 Worst Agents

Author Shane Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! I stumbled across this "new" site. I am sure they have a new company name by now.

Drug runners using OTR trucking to mule their hauls create a new company every so many months. Police use their DOT number (as well as many other identifiers) to weed out these scumbags. Too bad their is no "company number" to track on this.

~Shane

Gabriel Blue

Registered
Reaction score
Agents in the UK

Writer Beware tracks UK agents (and publishers) as well as US ones. If you have a question about any agent you encounter, drop me a line: [email protected].

- Victoria

This is good to know. I also used the link to the "1000 Literary Agents" site for UK agents.

One of the frustrating things that might be difficult for our American friends in particular to understand, is how frustrating it is that 100% - that's right ALL of them - are in London. Not ONE in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland. Not a single one.

Of course, I might have just identified a niche for myself!:hooray:

Loretta

Registered
Reaction score
Understood.

ATP.

THE LIST – revised and as tentatively proposed:

Abacus Group Literary Agency

Allred and Allred Literary Agents (refers clients to "book doctor" Victor West of Pacific Literary Services)

Arthur Fleming Associates

B.K. Nelson, Inc

Barbara Bauer Literary Agency

Benedict & Associates (also d/b/a B.A. Literary Agency)

Brock Gannon Literary Agency

Capital Literary Agency (formerly American Literary Agents of Washington, Inc.)

Desert Rose Literary Agency

Finesse Literary Agency (Karen Carr)

Harris Literary Agency

Literary Agency Group inclusive of:
· Children's Literary Agency, Christian Literary Agency

· New York Literary Agency , Poets Literary Agency

· Screenplay Agency, Sherwood Broome, Inc.,

· Stylus Literary Agency (formerly ST Literary Agency)

· Writers Literary & Publishing Services Company (above-mentioned agencies’ editing arm)

Mark Sullivan Associates

Martin-McLean Literary Associates

Michelle Rooney Literary Agency (also d/b/a Creative Literary Agency and Simply Nonfiction)

Mocknick Productions Literary Agency, Inc.

Robins Agency, The (Cris Robins)

Southeast Literary Agency

West Coast Literary Associates (also d/b/a California Literary Services)
Thank you for this list... it's always such a relief to be able to come in here and look for advice on what or "who" to stay away from!:)

Red Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I am new here, drawn towards the posts regarding Strategic Book Publishing like a moth to a flame…

I am, at this precise moment in time, in the process of rejecting their publishing contract, which they forwarded to me in the last few days. Once this whole process (experience?) at last comes to its agonizing conclusion, I shall relate to everyone my experiences at the hands of this organization.

Incidentally, if you want an image to sum these people up: do you remember the film The Devil’s Advocate, with Keanu Reeves? His wife (Charlize Theron) is talking with some of the other wives, and they all seem oh, so friendly. However, as one takes her top off, she looks down at Charlize, and has the face of a demon… Well, there’s your image…

Loretta

Registered
Reaction score
Dear God it sounds horrible...thank you for making us aware of what's going on...I hope it all resolves well for you.

Loretta

Sam

Registered
Reaction score
Some help Please!!

So from what i am seeing the WL Writers Agency is well, BS? I had some skepticism and can get no answers from anyone!! HAve I just given my work away?? Thank u

Loretta

Registered
Reaction score
There is an area on here that lists the agencie's that are bad, and there is one that keeps changing its name..a couple of posts above this are some of the agencies, but there is an area on here you can got to and ask one of the moderator's for assistance and they'll look them up. I have someone I can contact but it may take a day for the reply..if you'd like? These places might be able to help also http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=549 , Preditors and Editors http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=549 and come here.http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...21&postcount=2

Again what is the Exact name of your agency??

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

Sam

Registered
Reaction score
Thank You So Much

I have been corresponding with Sherry from WL Children's Agency, but when I got concerned I back tracked my steps to finding this agency and I believe it went through WL Writers Agency, however I found a link for a press release that states this co. as well as Strategic Publishing and Eloquent books were aquired by AEG Publishing?? From reading comments it looks as though Sherry Fine is well known!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I have been corresponding with Sherry from WL Children's Agency, but when I got concerned I back tracked my steps to finding this agency and I believe it went through WL Writers Agency, however I found a link for a press release that states this co. as well as Strategic Publishing and Eloquent books were aquired by AEG Publishing?? From reading comments it looks as though Sherry Fine is well known!

Sam, read this post and the others in the thread.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3498281&postcount=99

(if you want to find a LEGIT agent. Type [name of the agent], publishersmarketplace into a Google search and see if they have any verified sales in your genre.)

Sam

Registered
Reaction score
I have not signed anything nor do I think I will get the chance I already said upon recieving a positive review that their over zealous emails detailing why they cant give out concrete contact info was enough to make one skeptical, not feel at ease as they claim they are. But I do wonder if my work is in their hands to keep or what?? Whats their primary focus in scamming??

Sam

Registered
Reaction score
Thank u Loretta I am new at this so my answer is a few down

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Their primary focus is to keep you sending money to them; for a 'full critique', for an 'enhanced marketing package' and anything else they'll tell you you need.
They absolutely will not send your work to any publishers.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You didn't send them your only copy, did you? I hope not.

Assuming you either submitted by email or just mailed them a copy, they can't do anything (legally) without your permission and a contract.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com

There is no reason to believe that "Sherry Fine" even exists. (Same goes for "Georgina Orr," "Hil Mallory," and "Mary Bluestone.")

As far as that "acquired by AEG Publishing" nonsense -- they're all owned and operated by the same man: Robert Fletcher aka Robert Williams aka Robert West.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Uncle Jim, Boy Detective! Thanks for taking the time to continue to clarify who's who (and who doesn't even exist) to those who are just arriving.

Maryn, patting Jim's back for a job well done

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
You'll find the best info about Robert Fletcher on Writer Beware.

www.writerbeware.com

You'll also find an "alert" link there you can click that will take you to contact information for the investigator in the Florida Attorney General's Office who is handling this case. You need to file a formal complaint, I believe. Contact the investigator and follow her instructions.

Don't worry about having sent your manuscript to Robert Fletcher at Strategic Publishing, or WL Literary Agency. He doesn't care about your manuscript...and is not interested in stealing it in the slightest.

He just wants your money.

-Ann C. Crispin
Chair, Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com

Last edited by a moderator: