• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Writer Beware's 20 Worst Agents

Sophia2

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had found this board and this topic sooner.
I thought New York Literary Agency was legit and paid them $85.
They said it was an evaluation fee. I fell for it.
Yeah it was stupid, I know that now. I guess we all learn as we go.

Well you didn't have to pay them you could have got your own critique and provided that as long as it was from a professional. Why was it stupid to pay $85? That is cheap for a reasonable appraisal if indeed you received that appraisal and it was professional.

Last edited:

JAG4584

Registered
Reaction score
BK Nelson, Martin M

It seems like these agencies may be known for their predatory practices as BK charges a reading fee they quoted me $350 this month by mail but their web site mentions nothing nor did their correspondence.

Not sure about Martin M but this info should be considered a great warning for writers as nobody needs their dreams to vanish because of a literary predator!

Pariah

A couple weeks ago, I sent Victoria Strauss an email about my experiences with the commercial side of writing and, after having given it some extra consideration, I thought I would share it with everyone else here, too.

In the spring of 2003, I completed my first book, a short story compilation entitled "Champions of the Dead." I was anxious to see my work in print and decided to forgo the usual route of book publication in favor of seeking out a POD publisher. Six months and about $1000 later, "Champions of the Dead" was available for sale through InfinityPublishing.com. With some help from my friends, I managed to sell about 60 copies. Although Infinity Publishing was on the level and did it's job, the feedback I got (from friends, co-workers, and total strangers) led me to believe that my book would be much more successful if it had professional representation.

Enter Mocknick Literary Agency. I saw the company listed on a google search, and I contacted Dave Mocknick. It took him three months to reply to my query, in which he requested a copy of my book. Within two weeks of sending him a copy of Champions, he sent me a letter and a contract offering his services for a $450 yearly fee. I wasn't crazy about paying even more money to get my book where I felt it belonged, but I was anxious to get the proverbial ball rolling and I didn't know that I should beware of anyone charging fees for representation, so I paid the money and signed the contract in August of 2004.

Every quarter, I received a report from Mr. Mocknick. Every report consisted of copies of 5 form letters sent out to random publishers, some of which specialized in genres far different from those I wrote about. The form letters contained a blurb about my book and boxes for the prospective editors to check, signifying either approval or disapproval. Of course, the "disapprove" box was always checked. I suspect, though I can't confirm it, that the form letter was all that the publishing companies actually received (the manuscript I sent Mr. Mocknick may well have never been sent out for review). After two years and $900 down the drain (yes, I was desperate, naive, or dumb enough [depending on your POV] to do this twice), I wised up and let the contract expire.

In May of this year, I got the courage up to try another literary agency. After another google search, I found WL Writers Agency and sent them a query letter. They reviewed a couple stories from my book and stated that although my work was commercially viable, I would need to have it critiqued before they would represent me. They sent me a link to what looked like an in-house critique service. This time, I decided to do some checking before agreeing to anything. When I found out that WL Writers Agency was one of several related companies that had been in trouble with the law, I decided against having anything to do with them (a real no-brainer there).

I'm not sure where I'm going to go from here in terms of representation, but for those who have never had any direct contact with either of these so-called "agencies", I wanted to share my experiences.

For those who have and continue to help expose the dishonest and the disreputable members of the literary community, I wish to extend my sincerest thanks!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Short story compilations are very hard to sell. I suggest that you try to sell the stories individually to markets that are likely to take them. A collection of previously-published stories is easier to get off the ground, though still not easy.

In the meantime, write a new, different, better book and try to find representation with it.

miracles737

Registered
Reaction score
Website
exposedlivingbehindamask.blogspot.com
Okay, this this awesome information! Now, is there a list for the 20 best agents/agencies? Usually it is easier to continuously find ourselves swimming with sharks (scammers) than it is to stumble upon a good agent or two.

So, is there such a list? I don't expect a recommendation to a specific agent but would appreciate information on reputable agencies.

Thank you.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
There isn't a list of twenty best agents, because a lot of it is chemistry, and a lot of it is specialization. The twenty best agents for mysteries and the twenty best agents for romances are probably different people, and the twenty best agents for you and the twenty best agents for me are probably different people.

You won't go far wrong by looking at AAR members.

More at "On the Getting of Agents."

sidekick

I wish I had found this board and this topic sooner.
I thought New York Literary Agency was legit and paid them $85.
They said it was an evaluation fee. I fell for it.
Yeah it was stupid, I know that now. I guess we all learn as we go.
hey 502, they got me for $85 to, for a so called crituqe. Afterwards they said mine was perfectly written with only one misspelled word. What a farce. I finally reread my memiors and it was full of mistakes. They now go by WLwritersliteracy.

Caro

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting to note that the post I did on the 20 Worst Agents a year and a half a go has received 15 hits over the past two days, along with several posts detailing emails Michele Glance Rooney had sent individuals. It's consistently received hits since I posted it, but I thought the upsurge was interesting. Perhaps she's doing a new push.

Skippy

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if that list contains Canadian editors? And if not would you a starting point for me to look?

Thanks

Last edited:

JChoma

Wow... just... wow. Amazing reading. I can't thank you all enough for posting this.

While I am late to the party, I've been enjoying what I've read on this board and look forward to interacting.

Many thanks!

Jim

VallartaVixen

I don't mean this in a snarky way, but wouldn't most of this be avoided through research? Before I selected my agent, I Googled him. Every comment about him from people he had represented was positive. I feel very confident in my decision to sign with him.

writer friend

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Ms. Strauss,
Thank you for this list. I actually met one of the agents on your list several years ago while travelling. I knew something was wrong when he offered to read my work, but said that first I would have to sign a contract ($500.00 per year) for him to evaluate and make changes on my writing. Thank God I'd heard about such people beforehand. I was shocked to see that he is still in business, has a website, and is a member of the BBB of his state! How can this be? Please keep up the good work.
Writer Friend

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
It's a useless organization (from personal experience as a consumer) and if you see their seal on an agent's or publisher's site, it's a red flag. As a writer, you are not a consumer when you deal with agents and publishers. You are a business and the BBB does not 'monitor' business to business relationships.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Look at the big, famous, successful agencies. Are they members of the BBB? Nope!

Look at the big, famous, successful publishers. Did they join the BBB? Again, nope!

Why not? And what does this tell you about the publishers and agents who have?

Alemid

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Victoria Strauss

With this one post, you have probably saved me and countless others a lot of time, grief and probably in some cases, money.

Thanks!

Al Emid
[email protected]