• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Writer Beware's 20 Worst Agents

Charlie502

I wish I had found this board and this topic sooner.
I thought New York Literary Agency was legit and paid them $85.
They said it was an evaluation fee. I fell for it.
Yeah it was stupid, I know that now. I guess we all learn as we go.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Charlie502 said:
I wish I had found this board and this topic sooner.
I thought New York Literary Agency was legit and paid them $85.
They said it was an evaluation fee. I fell for it.
Yeah it was stupid, I know that now. I guess we all learn as we go.
Don't ever think you're stupid for being conned, friend. Con men are very good at what they do. They make it convincing. Don't kick yourself for falling for it. Appreciate that you're wiser now, and work to educate yourself even more, but don't call yourself stupid, okay?

Welcome to AW. Hope you hang around.

NewroticGirl

I just had to join and post...

Sad to say, I briefly WORKED for BBLA.

What a scam. You think $300 for representation is bad? When I was there, she charged something like $675 a year.

*shaking head*

Her "office" was her garage -- without heat. To keep me warm while I worked, she did laundry -- the dryer vented into the garage. If she ran out of laundry, the work day was over.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Interesting.... When I checked the new posts at the Speculations Rumormill, I found three posts, all from the same IP address, making bogus complaints about Uncle Jim and Victoria Strauss. My guess is that it's someone from the Writer Beware list. Other guesses?

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think that any complaints about Uncle Jim, Victoria Strauss, or Ann Crispin are only written by scammers who know those three are spreading the word about them. There's no other explanation.

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
NewroticGirl said:
Her "office" was her garage -- without heat. To keep me warm while I worked, she did laundry -- the dryer vented into the garage. If she ran out of laundry, the work day was over.
That's freakin' hysterical. I mean, in hindsight, of course. But still--I wish I'd made this one up. I may end up stealing it for a short story. ;)

Stephen S. Power

clarification

I'm a senior editor at Wiley. I would like to clarify that two of these agencies, The Literary Agency Group and The Robins Agency, should not be confused with those of two far more well-regarded agencies, The Literary Group International and The Robbins (two b's) Agency.

Jaws

Apex Predator
Registered
Reaction score
Loitering just offshore on the Silicon Prairie
Website
scrivenerserror.blogspot.com
Aconite said:
Don't ever think you're stupid for being conned, friend. Con men are very good at what they do. They make it convincing. Don't kick yourself for falling for it. Appreciate that you're wiser now, and work to educate yourself even more, but don't call yourself stupid, okay?

Absolutely. I represent authors who've been conned. Two of my clients are doctors, four are university professors… and one is a judge. They did nothing wrong other than believe plausible lies. That's how cons work, folks: They're designed to not only separate people from their money, but keep them from realizing they've been had afterward.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Stephen S. Power said:
I'm a senior editor at Wiley. I would like to clarify that two of these agencies, The Literary Agency Group and The Robins Agency, should not be confused with those of two far more well-regarded agencies, The Literary Group International and The Robbins (two b's) Agency.
Excellent point, sir, thanks for dropping in to make it. :)

Trident Media and Noble House are two others off the top of my head. All the more reason to make sure one has the exact and full name of the entity being researched.

Leva

Registered
Reaction score
I'll add my name to the chorus of "me toos" -- if you don't mind I'll put it on my site in the next few days.

Bleh. I hate scammers.

Leva

Last edited:

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Newrotic, you worked for Barbara Bauer? More! Tell us more! I am just transplendently eager to hear all about it.

kayebee

Registered
Reaction score
NicoleJLeBoeuf said:
That's freakin' hysterical. I mean, in hindsight, of course. But still--I wish I'd made this one up. I may end up stealing it for a short story. ;)

Hah! I had the exact same thought!

Karen

first time writer

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Victoria

I saw your list of 20 worst agencyies. I have come close to going with NY literary agency and the Robins agency. I noticed "BK Nelson" agency. Is that the same one that has an office in Colorado? She goes under "The Nelson Agency" i believe

thanks

first time writer (tonyb)

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
James D. Macdonald said:
BK Nelson, one of the Twenty Worst:

http://www.bknelson.com/

Kristin Nelson, completely legitimate:

http://www.nelsonagency.com/

Remember what I said about scammers taking names very similar to legitimate companies, hoping to profit by the confusion?

Does anyone know if legit agencies have gone after scammers for trademark infringement? Maybe it wouldn't be worth the price of pursuing the scammers in court but I wonder if they (legitimate agents) wouldn't have an interest in preserving their name brand when it is clear that such confusion exists.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
roach said:
Does anyone know if legit agencies have gone after scammers for trademark infringement? Maybe it wouldn't be worth the price of pursuing the scammers in court but I wonder if they (legitimate agents) wouldn't have an interest in preserving their name brand when it is clear that such confusion exists.

Names aren't trademarks.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
The only writers listed with BKNelson I never heard of; the books listed are apparently available only through Nelson, not Amazon or other venues. There is nothing on forthcoming titles, they're stingy with practical information, and what's with that guest speaker stuff?
emoteHuh.gif

On my agent's site there is an extensive list of dozens and dozens of writers I have heard of (and read!), links to their websites, and lists under each name of books sold through the agency.

On my former agent's website: another long list of clients and books sold, click on a name, go to a website.

On the website of an agent I've heard mentioned most of my professional life: a lengthy list of recent and forthcoming books, plus a notice that they will only look at MS from writers who have sold to bona fide publishers. (Guess that leaves out Publish America.
biggrin.gif
)

So...there's three legit agencies with certain points in common: lists of writers, links to websites, books out, books to come, and submissions guidelines. I found all the details in less than 5 minutes worth of googling, and not one trace of rocket science know-how was needed.

And then there is the "mystery agency." I'm thinking the only way to get more info from it is to become skilled in the ol' Vulcan mind meld...only I don't wanna get that close to anything that smells THAT fishy!
tongue.gif

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
serviceshdr.gif
The BK Nelson Literary Agency and Lecture Bureau can assist authors and speakers in many areas. Prices are charged on a project by project basis. If you have a question about a particular service listed below please call or write to us today.

arrow.gif
Literary Representation
arrow.gif
Self Publishing Consultation
arrow.gif
Manuscript Evaluation Editing
arrow.gif
Published Writer Promotions
arrow.gif
Ghost Writing
arrow.gif
Book Sales
arrow.gif
Professional Speakers
arrow.gif
Affiliate Program

I think I got the real killers in red ink - red being the universal symbol for DANGER

I sent an agent query to the lady in Denver today.

Regards,
Scott

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
roach said:
Forbes did something along those lines (IIRC, to C. Lee Nunn's agency, which was using the Forbes name to imply a connection that didn't exist).

Jaws

Apex Predator
Registered
Reaction score
Loitering just offshore on the Silicon Prairie
Website
scrivenerserror.blogspot.com
I'm afraid the following comment is incorrect on many levels.
Christine N. said:
No, names aren't trademarks - business names are part of the businesses' image, though. Or else Encycolpedia Brittanica wouldn't have won a settlement from PA/PB.
  • Names are trademarks
  • EB's complaint was for trademark infringement
  • In IP disputes, settlements often have as much to do with the perceived cost of litigating as with the merits of the case

Trademarks are both easier and harder to use as a basis for a lawsuit.
  • On the one hand, a trademark (generically, "mark," as there are also "service marks" and marks based upon geographical origin, among other variants) need not be registered. They need not be exclusive, as marks can be limited by the type of commercial interest they represent (for example, "Ford Motor Company" and "Ford Dairy Farm" can both use the mark "Ford" for their respective purposes). Mere use of a mark is not inherently an infringement, as infringement requires (at least as the law stands today) use in the stream of commerce.
  • On the other hand, one must also demonstrate likelihood of confusion, not just copying, to win a trademark infringement action. This usually requires consumer-preference and -confusion surveys, expert opinion, and a lot of money. The remedies available for copyright infringement are also a lot more attractive than those available for trademark infringement, except in the most egregious circumstances.
Authors grievously underestimate and misunderstand trademark theory and how it applies to publishing. As a general rule, most authors—and even a lot of lawyers—consider only copyright law relevant to whether something is an inappropriate copying or borrowing. Too often, the courts have let litigants get away with that, but largely for procedural reasons well beyond the scope of anything on an Internet discussion forum.

RMealey

NY Literary Agency

Thank you for the list, wish I was aware before I contacted the above firm and I guess Whitmore Publishing of PA. Both whose contacts I got from Firstwriter.com

Frankly this is all new to me but one just doesnt know where to go to deal with honest agents. NYLA accepted my partial manuscript and now states it needs to be edited, I accept that but after reading about them in Writers.net, here I hesitant to even consider further interaction.

As to Whitmore Publishing also reviewing my manuscript, again Im now hesitant.

I am a novice at this Im simply writing a book others have told me they have enjoyed what they have read thus far and maybe merits to be published. But I seem to have opened a pandoras box not knowing whom to trust.

Thanks for pointing where I should not tread.

Last edited by a moderator: