Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011

Thread: Writer Beware's 20 Worst Agents

Most agencies sell authors copies of their books at greatly discounted price for signings and cons, etc. It's really not that unusual...
    1) I assume you meant "Publisher" and not "agencies"?
    2) NO. Most do not. Signings in a book store, the store will order them in from the Publisher. Signings in other venues, typically a Store is commissioned to sell on site.
    At book launches I've attended, the Author has had a local indie bookstore attend and sell the books beside her, as she signed and spoke with everyone.
    My Publisher only put out, on average, 4 pic books, 2 other (either chapter, mg, ya... now THAT is small) a year and they still supplied the books to the booksellers for signings/conferences.
    3) Conferences, same thing, though my experience in conferences is limited to Children's Publishing. At SCBWI conferences the bookstore consigned for the conference brings in the books for sale. Authors sign but can not sell.
    Last edited by ctripp; 01-10-2015 at 05:25 PM.

figuring it all out
    Thank you for this list!

So many books, so little time!
    Warner Literary Group, which consists of Sarah Warner, is a scam. There have been so far four cases brought against her. I know one of the writers who has had to seek legal help and the stories about Sarah are highly disturbing.
    Last edited by ReadAlways; 09-26-2016 at 07:39 AM.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    Let's just say that Ms Bauer's understanding of the relevant factual and legal issues leaves something to be desired. No, everything to be desired.

Even if the material stated in the list was untrue—and it's not—there is a virtually absolute privilege to use a trademark as a proper exemplar. In this instance, the only mark at issue might be Bauer's agency name (and it's not a protectable trademark for this purpose, but that's a technical matter); and however disparaging that reference is, without demonstrated falsehood in the stream of commerce there can be no infringement.

Miss Snark is not anonymous. Miss Snark is pseudonymous. Miss Snark is a real person, as is Killer Yapp. In fact, Killer Yapp probably has a better track record with manuscripts than does Ms Bauer. (Note: That's called "hyperbole." It's not actionable.)

Something that is "libelous" is "defamatory." By definition.

Something can only be defamatory if it is untrue. Ms Bauer's posting makes not claim of falsehood. Given the way she throws other language around, I find that curious, to say the least.
    I just feel sorry for the poor sod.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011