Favorite Star Wars Novels?

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
I read on Facebook that Paul S. Kemp will be writing a new Star Wars Expanded Universe novel about Darth Vader and Palpatine/Sidious. (Due out May 2015 IIRC.) As someone who has a little Darth Sidious action figure sitting next to my desk lamp at work, that makes me happy. :D

That also got me excited about what other Star Wars novels are out there. I tried to read some of the ones that took place after the original movies, but they were part of a long, convoluted series, so I didn't get far.

Still, I know the Star Wars novels range from "OMG never let that person near Star Wars again..." to "Ooh, ooh, you should read this even if you hate media fiction!"

So what Star Wars books would you recommend? Especially to someone who wants to plunge into the universe again, but doesn't really want to read a 20-volume Extended Universe miniseries? ;)

briannasealock

Registered
Reaction score
I LOVE The Truce at Bakura. It's my most favorite and one of the first I owned of the EU. I also love The Courtship of Princess Leia. I ship her and Han so hard that book was amazing to read. Sadly I've lost it and I need to buy a new copy.
Mostly anything with Luke and Mara is great, I love the ones by Timothy Zhan. Also, Shadow of the Empire is a good one. I like the stories with Vader after Luke for reasons. :)

hottoddy

Registered
Reaction score
The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn was good. I read it years ago. I recently read Honor Among Thieves, a Han Solo spy romp that takes place after Episode IV. It was meh - but still beats the prequel trilogy hands down.

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I adore (and constantly reread) the following novels by Timothy Zahn:

Heir to the Empire/Dark Force Rising/The Last Command (The Thrawn Trilogy)
Specter of the Past/Vision of the Future (Hand of Thrawn Duology)
Survivor's Quest (standalone)

He has others that are not as awesome as those, but still good reads:

Allegiance
The Choices of One
Outbound Flight
Scoundrels

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
It's been a while since I read it, but I really enjoyed Star Wars: Path of Destruction (Darth Bane). I also read quite a few of the others around the time after the Yuzzhan Vong, but not in any particular order, and those were hit and miss in regards to how much I enjoyed them. But the Darth Bane novel... I enjoyed that one.

Reaction score
Website
www.travis-lee.org
I'll second The Han Solo Trilogy. AC Crispin understood the character and sets everything up nicely for what we see in the films.

She also tied it in to the existing books (Han's adventures in the Corporate Sector, whose name I can't remember at the moment).

phantom000

Registered
Reaction score
The Corellian Trilogy by Roger McBride Allan, was my introduction to the Expanded Universe. It is set 18 years after the films so the galaxy has settled down and everything is peaceful. Events of other books are mentioned so it gives you a good idea of what is going on but you don't really have to read them to understand the story. It has elements of the The Forbidden Planet with relics of a super advanced civilization that disappeared long before the rise of the old republic.

The 'Tales from...' series isn't bad. They are a bunch of anthologies so the stories range from great to okay but nothing really bad.

anakhouri79

Registered
Reaction score
I have only read a couple, but I enjoyed Republic Commando (I think that was it. It's about the clone troopers).

I hear the more recent Obi-wan Kenobi novel is like a space Western, and it's on my list but I haven't read it yet. I've heard it's good though.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Thanks to everyone who keeps adding to this thread.
:Trophy:

By the way, there is a new Thrawn novel out Timothy Zahn. So I guess that means Thrawn (that version of him, anyhow) is now part of the new "official" series and no longer part of the "Legends" series.