Army adds Humanist as category, pointing toward eventually having humanist chaplains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
The US Army has, for the first time, approved a humanist chaplain, Major Ray Bradley.

On the one hand I'm glad this has happened. Service in the armed forces can be trying for anyone and the existence of philosophical aid that is not tied to a religion is likely necessary for many struggling with those trials.

On the other hand, have a look at the language used.

Jason Torpy, president of the Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers, has been pushing for greater recognition of humanists in the armed services; in February, the American Civil Liberties Union sent a letter to the Pentagon on Bradley’s behalf.
"This is a big victory," Torpy said, who noted the decision was by the Army and not the other military services. "This is one part, and the easiest part, of a very long list of other reforms that have to happen before we have equality, not just belief or no belief but theistic belief and nontheistic belief like ours."
The ACLU wrote in its letter that members of nontheistic faiths should have the option of describing themselves, just as members of theistic faiths do.
"Given the wide range of religious-preference designations currently allowed by the armed forces," ACLU lawyers wrote, "there is no reason to deny humanism similar recognition."
I find it frustrating that the discourse is still being put in the language of faith. The idea that a person might find humanism a proper way to live their lives and might need assistance with that in a situation that challenges humanism (like war) should not, to my mind, be shoehorned into the concept of faith.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I suspect what makes having an active designation important in this case is context. For example to have a Chaplain that person would need to have a recognized constituency. If service personnel do not individually claim that status, that would be difficult to demonstrate.

The army works within older fashioned categories and definitions and it is easier to bend them to your needs than to try and work outside them.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
The little tick-box is under 'Religion', not 'Philosophy' or 'Belief System', so ... it's described as 'faith'.
'Cause, really, if you don't have 'faith' in your philosophy or beliefs, what's the point of a chaplain - any counselor would work?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
The little tick-box is under 'Religion', not 'Philosophy' or 'Belief System', so ... it's described as 'faith'.
'Cause, really, if you don't have 'faith' in your philosophy or beliefs, what's the point of a chaplain - any counselor would work?

Not all religions or belief systems are based on faith.

In fact, I'd say most world religions are not based on faith. Christianity and Islam are somewhat unique in demanding faith in God.

Yet somehow "faith" has become synonymous with "religion", probably due to the dominance of Christianity, which is faith-based.

To the point where many people struggle to understand how one can have a religion or belief system that is not based on faith.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Richard, I clicked on your article with some excitement, because I know some of the people who have been working to give Humanism "official" status in the military. But it looks as if there's still a long road to go. Major Bradley has succeeded in persuading the army to amend a form so that he can check a box identifying himself as "Humanist," so he's the first official Humanist in the army, but until there's a sufficient number of other people who check that box, there won't be a chaplain. Still, a big first step!

Last edited:

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Richard, I clicked on your article with some excitement, because I know some of the people who have been working to give Humanism "official" status in the military. But it looks as if there's still a long road to go. Major Bradley has succeeded in persuading the army to amend a form so that he can check a box identifying himself as "Humanist," so he's the first official Humanist in the army, but until there's a sufficient number of other people who check that box, there won't be a chaplain. Still, a big first step!

Blast. You're right. I was so excited that I missed that bit. I'll amend the thread title.

cwschizzy

Eviscerate the Proletariat
Registered
Reaction score
This is just like gay rights. This shouldn't be newsworthy, it should be common sense. I'm happy nonetheless, especially as a humanist.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the OP that I dislike how it has been phrased in terms of faith. However, if that buzz word is what it took to get people in the Army HQ to accept the need for Humanist support as legitimate, then the ends justify the means ...

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Maybe eventually you will not need to be on an approved list to have your counseling and burial requests honored and given reasonable accommodation. A lot of people are still waiting for their religion to be "approved" because it is a small one with limited lobby power. That seems very sad to me. There could instead be a list of "unacceptable" images and practices based on what is likely to disturb reasonable onlookers (like obscenities on gravestones). Then whatever options are more numerous would obviously be more likely to have professional "chaplains" made available.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Going even more general - the language of religion turns up outside of religion. For example, AGW sceptics are referred to as "deniers". Now OK, denier is a word in the English language, but has a lot of resonances that don't belong in a scientific discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.