Lythande needs gritty fantasy suggestions

Lythande

I, am that is.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ankh-ascendant.deviantart.com
Just what it says on the tin. :tongue

I'm looking for high fantasy that would be R-rated in a movie... Sex, swearing, violence, gore, torture, dark themes, et cetera. (Preferably with a male MC, since for whatever reason I just don't really like female characters, and not a romance masquerading as fantasy. LGBTQ a definite plus.)

I like to write these things, but I feel like every fantasy I've read has been awfully PG, so I have to sanitize my own ideas. I'd like to break that mindset and wallow in depravity. :D

Lythande

I, am that is.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Good call. :)

So as to avoid wasting people's time I should probably make a list...

I own and need to get around to reading/finishing/rereading:
ASoIaF
Thomas Covenant
Shadow trilogy (Brent Weeks)
Lythande stories (they'd be good for me if they were longer...)
Vampire Hunter D (good subject matter, terrible writing/translating) - also actually looking for high fantasy, VHD is scifi with strong fantasy bits

I have and find too PG:
Dragonlance
Belgariad/Mallorean
Last Herald Mage
LotR

I have tried and loathe:
Sword of Shannara

ETA:
suggestions I have put on my wishlist:
more Thieves World
Gentleman Bastard series
First Law trilogy
Fionavar Tapestry series
Fade to Black - Francis Knight
Prince of Thorns - Mark Lawrence
Paksenarrion series (ew, female main character :tongue )
Sword of Truth
Black Jewels trilogy (reluctantly... FMC)
Nightrunner series - Lynn Flewelling / Gary Ruddell
Captive Prince - C.S. Pacat
Lymond - Dorothy Dunnet
Reawakening - Amy Rae Durrison

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Fade to Black - Frances Knight (AWer Mr Flibble)

Anything by Joe Abercrombie
Prince of Thorns - Mark Lawrence

jerrimander

No one takes me seriously. Really.
Registered
Reaction score
there is submissive/dominance throughout the series. certainly mature, gritty...well, that depends on the reader. not every book is top quality, but the first 3 books, I highly recommend for good storytelling. zeddicus z'ul zorander is a delight to read.

Lythande

I, am that is.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
All right, thank you. :) It sounds like it would end up on my PG pile - if grittiness depends on the reader, I'm not likely to find it so - but "mature' is enough for me to check out the first few books.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Lythande, you might find some things worth reading in the M/M erotic fantasy sections of Samhain, Carina Press, Loose Id, Riptide Publishing, and Dreamspinner Press. Lots of us M/M writers got bored with the fade to black stuff from mainstream fantasy, and e-rom publishers are showing interest in stories with as much or more plot than formulaic frames for sex scenes.

What you are looking for is almost the same type of story I love to write. Alas, I'm working on space opera novels now, not epic fantasy.

In mainstream fantasy (and not explicit, though certainly richer than Misty Lackey's work), you might look for Lynn Flewelling's 'Nightrunner' series, about two bi male characters in a fairly dark fantasy world. There are seven books in the series now, I think.

Lythande

I, am that is.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Lythande, you might find some things worth reading in the M/M erotic fantasy sections of Samhain, Carina Press, Loose Id, Riptide Publishing, and Dreamspinner Press.
In mainstream fantasy (and not explicit, though certainly richer than Misty Lackey's work), you might look for Lynn Flewelling's 'Nightrunner' series, about two bi male characters in a fairly dark fantasy world. There are seven books in the series now, I think.

These suggestions sound right up my alley! Thanks! ^----^

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Check out Amy Rae Durrison's 'Reawakening' from Dreamspinner. It might be really close to what you like: gritty fights, zombies, shapeshifting dragons, a smart ass desert sprite, sympathetic M/M relationships and lots of graphic sex set in a fantasy world that isn't as cookie-cutter as many romantic fantasy novels have been.

For graphic arts, you might look at HamletMachine's online comic 'Starfighter' at www.starfightercomic.com. Space opera political thriller, with graphic sex and a mismatched pair of young men who are pawns in at least two different wars.

The M/M is sometimes incidental, but Colleen Doran's space opera graphic novels in her 'A Distant Soil' universe might catch your interest.

Though the M/M aspects are either non-consensual or very discreet, you might enjoy Dorothy Dunnett's 'Lymond' and 'Niccolo' series of historical almost-magic-realism. Start with Lymond. These are two huge series with big books, meticulously researched, writing that gets very dark and emotional, and downright addictive and complex stories.

Oh, yeah, and another Dunnett fan used them as inspiration for the M/M political fantasy series 'Captive Prince'. The first two were self-published to strong sales, and are being reissued by a Big Five imprint. Slow-build M/M relationship amid political backstabbing that makes 'Game of Thrones' look a little more like 'Sweet Valley High'.