The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Talaria Press

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Talaria Press

Please see my latest post. I am withdrawing my complaint.
    Last edited by Martin Schiller; 04-30-2014 at 09:58 PM. Reason: New information that changes things

practical experience, FTW
    Is this the URL in question?

http://talariapress.com/

As general rule it's helpful to specify the URL. That tends to minimize any confusion for our membership.

Web site address

Yes, that's them. Sorry for forgetting to add that information.

Live a little. Write a lot. Karen Junker's Avatar
    When I clicked on the Contact button on their website, nothing happened.

There is no submissions info on the website and in the Store section, the books appear to have been written by the founders.
    Last edited by Karen Junker; 04-29-2014 at 06:54 AM.
    Karen Junker
    www.CascadeWriters.com
    "Spend a passionate weekend with your muse!"

Brief browse of their website: only one of their many books is by anyone other than staff (The Reasbys and Mr. Cummins are very prolific.) Most of their staff bios are light on experience, heavy on creativity, hobbies and pets. FWIW.
    This is probably what they meant by 'we don't do this for everybody'. It sounds more like they're set up to do their own stuff, rather than publishing other people's books.
    Last edited by frimble3; 04-29-2014 at 07:07 AM.

See below for an explanation.
    Last edited by Martin Schiller; 05-01-2014 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Change of situation.

If you didn't sign any actual contract(s) with Talaria Press in regard to the work you submitted, how is it they can legally--
    1. add one of your shorts to an anthology
    2. charge you for editing and hope to recoup that fee
    Seems to me if no contract was involved, you owe this "press" nothing for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Junker View Post
    When I clicked on the Contact button on their website, nothing happened.

There is no submissions info on the website and in the Store section, the books appear to have been written by the founders.
    I too clicked on "contact," which opened my "Mail" program on my Mac. This is the email address it referred me to. I didn't bother to check it out any further.

Removing my Post

Due to certain facts that have recently come to light, and in the interests of fairness, I am removing my post complaining about Talaria Press.

It turns out that Talaria Press is a consortium of writers, all friends, who came together for mutual support, and until I came along, they had no plans to ask anyone to join them. As Karen pointed out, they simply weren't set up for that, and when they asked me aboard, they did the best they could. Unfortunately, there were some missteps in the process that caused me to come to a negative conclusion about their motives. Since having the chance to talk with them at length, things have been straightened out, and I am satisfied now that I am dealing with a good group of people.

I want to thank everyone here for their insights and feedback on this issue. It has been a true learning experience.