Burrowing, and Reading Books

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
Hello, I am "broke" reader/writer! *waves hand*

I primarily go to the library to find books to read. Sometimes what I pick up is good, sometimes they are amazing, and other times they aren't very good.

Once in awhile, I can buy a book or two - which I'm happy about as it supports books and writing in general.

It seems odd to buy books I've read from the library already. My significant other/roommate (he has the money and pays the bills and buys me stuff) is kind of against me buying books I've read before, actually.

Now, I've had this strange idea or two - mainly to increase what I read more.

It makes sense to me that after reading all, or most, of the first book that happens to be in a series -- and I like it -- that I should just buy the series (including the first book, so the series doesn't look odd).

If I've read at least two books by the same author and have liked them, then I should buy their future books if the synopsis intrigues me.

I'm not weird, right?

It's not strange to halt reading my currently burrowed books to get new ones just to try more books out, right? One I will definitely buy the series for (not finished, but close enough) and the other I don't seem to like that much.

What do you guys do when dealing with buying books? How do you decide?

I went to Books-A-Million and 2nd & Charles several times within the past month, but I bought nothing due to not seeing books I know I liked. I wanted to buy things, but yeah... XD

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
From the title, I had an image of rainy days wrapped in a blanket while buried under a stack of stories, or a rabbit tunneling into a subterranean library to a warren made of books...

That said, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

I have no problem with reading a book I enjoy more than once, hence the point of buying it. On a budget, it makes sense to borrow it first, but if you enjoy it enough to read again, it's worth having your own copy. (OTOH, I have relatives who only read books once. They finally stopped buying books altogether and now just use their library cards.)

On buying books just because you enjoyed the author's previous works... I've had mixed results, there, so it might not always be a safe bet. I suggest sticking with the library for those, or reading enough online reviews to get a feel for whether you want to take the risk.

My own policies on buying books vary with mood. For budget reasons, I'm much more likely to buy at Half Price Books these days, or through the Used section of Amazon (even with shipping added, you can get some great deals on new or like-new stuff.) That's why I have a backlog north of thirty books... and why I need to do another cull one of these days, weeding out ones I'm just not going to get to. Ironically, it's this backlog that keeps me from checking stuff out at the library where I work - I want to whittle down the stuff that's not going anywhere before bringing home books with an expiration date.

None of this is helped by my Kindle and Nook, both of which have many freebie titles begging to be read on them...

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
I only buy books that I can't find at the library. I also don't buy books that I've already read.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
If a book interests me, and I have reason to think it's a good book, I'll buy it. Since I've gotten the e-reader, I don't even worry about them cluttering things up anymore. I've bought books I read before and don't own but want to read again, though those are generally lower priority. I'm lucky enough to have enough money to waste on books, though come to think about it, I don't spend gratuitous money on much else except my pets and occasional dinners out with my husband. Clothes? I wear them until they fall apart, and we don't go out to movies all that often anymore.

When I was younger and poorer, it was more of a treat to go out to the bookstore to buy books. Then, I tended to wait until a much-awaited book came out in paperback before I bought it, and I went to the library more often. But the library didn't tend to have recent releases by my favorite contemporary SF and F writers. I used to enjoy going to used bookstores too. But I still spent a fair amount of my discretionary money on books. I think it's different now, though. Everything seems to cost more relative to what a most people (especially most younger people) have.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I believe if you wish to be supported by your readers, as a reader support the authors you read.

I keep an eye out for sales on books, and I scan thrift stores all the time.
I borrow books from friends, and I rent them from the library.
If I can't find a book from the above, or I'm too impatient, I look into used.

However, if I've enjoyed the books that I read for free/cheap, I typically buy them new--if possible, from the publisher. I believe that a good book--one that I like--should be worth another read.
I also buy up upcoming books from my fav authors because I know they'll be good.

Last edited:

Crayonz

Tribal Flame Warden Ducky
Registered
Reaction score
I'm like BrightDreamer, I buy books after I've read them. :) To me, a book is only worth spending money if you can read it more than once. I'll also buy the next upcoming book in a series, but otherwise, if they are books from the same author, I try to read them before buying. I've run into too many instances where I adored one book/series by an author, only to dislike another book by the same person. People who have long or prolific careers tend to change up writing styles after a while and sometimes their new way of doing things doesn't agree with me.

In the end, it's really up to you what you want your book buying habits to be. ;)

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
I read from the library and from what I buy. I have noticed that in the UK libraries rotate stock and get rid of books that are getting tatty or only borrowed occasionally - so if you love a book you read from the library - buy it. Some books seem to have quite a limited print run and a few times I've regretted not buying immediately as the second hand copies cost more than the new price due to demand. (There being no new ones available.)

Other than that - these days I buy new unless a book is only available second hand, to keep supporting an author and publisher, to do a small bit to ensure that it is worth their while to put out more books. There is an occasional second hand book from the charity shop in town.

Now with all the author websites about, I have also contacted authors directly to say "is there going to be a re-print on xxxx soon?"

I do re-read quite a lot - I see nothing weird in that.
Once had a plumber who was giving us a quote for fitting radiators stare in bewilderment at all our book shelves. "Why have you got so many books?"
"We like reading."
"But why keep them? You wouldn't read them twice."
"Yes we would and more than twice."

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's in my nature to burrow and read books. Sometimes write them, too. :D

StephanieZie

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm kind of ashamed of how infrequently I use the library. I just like owning things. I'm not a voracious reader like some. I'll go through about two books a month on average. I prefer paperbacks to hard-covers, so each book is about $15 give or take. Two a month and that's $30 a month. I'm far, far from rich, but that's not a ridiculous indulgence in my world.

Once I'm done with a book, though, even if I never read it again, I want to keep it. Same with tv shows and movies. I'll buy box sets of series that I can watch on Netflix at no charge. I guess you can say I'm a collector.

Jinxy

Registered
Reaction score
I have to confess that I'm a collector, too. A lot of the libraries in my area have book sales, and most have buck-a-bag sale days where you can stuff as many books as you can into a bag for a dollar. I'm always surprised by what I find.

Plus, even if I never read them or hate them, I still love the way they look on the shelf.