Blogging Mistakes We Have Made

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
This is not "Mistakes Every Blogger Makes". What blogging mistakes do you feel you've made?

For me, there's a couple, because I've stopped and started many blogs over the years. These are the mistakes I feel contributed to the failures and hopefully I have learned enough that I will not make them again.

1: Introductory Posts

Basically, these would be a page and a half of "I started this Live Journal because..." which I think was like a huge promise that I couldn't keep. It's like a day long job orientation that you later learn didn't prepare you for squat related to the job.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I feel the blog's title should be enough to get someone to click in the first place The first blog post should not be an extended version of the title.

2: Not Taking Notes

Something could happen to me on Thursday, but because of limited access to a computer and a heavy schedule, I might not get around to posting about it until Tuesday. By that time all of the original feelings could be gone.

Now, I have a laptop and regular access to the Internet. But I still make notes about what happened to me during the day. Using a memory palace technique, I just write a sentence or two about the event in question and once I've sat down at the computer and gone over the notes the memories just flood right back.

3: Padding or Rambling

I want my blog to attract and keep readers. Post after post of "my job sucks" and "paying bills sucks" and "Why I think Bea Arthur should be a judge on The Voice" didn't really serve me in the past.

So I've found what works for me so far is to instead write about something that happened to me at work that is recent and fresh. That way I can better describe my feelings using the event in question so that people don't think, "Oh he's just whining." They might still think that, but at least I've made a better effort.

Those are mine. Feel free to discuss or add your own.

julietk

Registered
Reaction score
Website
julietkemp.com
2: Not Taking Notes

Something could happen to me on Thursday, but because of limited access to a computer and a heavy schedule, I might not get around to posting about it until Tuesday. By that time all of the original feelings could be gone.

These days I find a decent smartphone a total godsend for this sort of thing. Not just "ideas to write about" but absolutely everything that crosses my mind as a "must remember...". I write it down. Right that moment, or if that's truly impossible, at the next available one.

The next stage, of course, is *doing* something with that afterwards.

(And when it comes to blogging -- I am not at all good at applying this theory right now :/ )

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
Well, I think blog mistakes depend on what you're blogging for--not everyone is writing them to be read by the masses. I think one blogging mistake I've made is not interacting with other bloggers earlier. It's fun!

Also, I kept changing the name of the blog every few months. I'm too lazy to actually create a new blog altogether, so I just changed the name and layout every so often.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I suppose my big mistake is not posting every week as I'd planned to do. I know I can't post more than that and was pretty good at first, getting something up every Sunday or Monday. Not so much any more, although I still don't understand why some posts gain fresh life months after I've posted them. I've got one doing that right now and I just don't get it. It's nice, but puzzling.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I had a bit of a lull where I came close to not posting late one night. Then I just forced myself to do it and the result wasn't terrible.

As long as I keep the theme of only writing about what happened either today or in the past twelve to twenty-four hours, I'm set.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My biggest mistake in blogging was, when I quit the first blog I had, I simply deleted it from Blogger. Someone snapped it up within an hour, somehow grabbed every one of my posts, and turned it into a phishing/scam site. Those few people who actually read it who weren't personal friends apparently got a surprise the next time they checked in (one was a friend of a friend, which is why I heard about it at all).

Yeah, not the right way to do it, though I've still no idea what to do with a blog you don't want to maintain and don't like the content of anymore.

chaoticscott

Award-winning Blogger; Daddy of 3
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chaotickidsclutter.blogspot.com
Do you think it's important to get into some kind of routine regarding when you post? Like, should I only post once on Monday morning and again on Thursday night? Now I post whenever my mood hits me to write something. Perhaps if I had a routine, people would learn when they were coming out and look forward to them more eagerly...or not.

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
Do you think it's important to get into some kind of routine regarding when you post? Like, should I only post once on Monday morning and again on Thursday night? Now I post whenever my mood hits me to write something. Perhaps if I had a routine, people would learn when they were coming out and look forward to them more eagerly...or not.

Some bloggers do. I don't. For me, I think it would start to feel forced if I stuck to a definite schedule. One blogger I follow has a schedule of her upcoming posts.

chaoticscott

Award-winning Blogger; Daddy of 3
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chaotickidsclutter.blogspot.com
Some bloggers do. I don't. For me, I think it would start to feel forced if I stuck to a definite schedule. One blogger I follow has a schedule of her upcoming posts.

Yeah, I pretty much just go with the flow, posting whenever I feel like writing something, which sometimes is every other week, and sometimes 5 times a week. Can't find any correlation regarding which posts get read the most. I'll stop worrying about it. Thanks for the reply, Sunflowerrei!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I once posted a tongue-in-cheek critique of a popular book by an author with a huge cult following, showing how he breaks all "the rules" but in the final analysis looks at how he breaks the rules in the right way. My point was to show why it's okay to break the rules, but all people could see was lambasting of a cultural icon who's above criticism.

I never had many followers to begin with, so I noticed when people dropped me and other regular commenters stopped commenting.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
1: Introductory Posts

Basically, these would be a page and a half of "I started this Live Journal because..." which I think was like a huge promise that I couldn't keep. It's like a day long job orientation that you later learn didn't prepare you for squat related to the job.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I feel the blog's title should be enough to get someone to click in the first place The first blog post should not be an extended version of the title.

I'm thinking of starting up a blog, and this was exactly what I was going to do. Now I'm at a loss. What would you recommend as a good first post?

I once posted a tongue-in-cheek critique of a popular book by an author with a huge cult following, showing how he breaks all "the rules" but in the final analysis looks at how he breaks the rules in the right way. My point was to show why it's okay to break the rules, but all people could see was lambasting of a cultural icon who's above criticism.

I never had many followers to begin with, so I noticed when people dropped me and other regular commenters stopped commenting.

I was already a bit dubious about setting up a blog, but now I feel I am likely to follow in your footsteps.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of starting up a blog, and this was exactly what I was going to do. Now I'm at a loss. What would you recommend as a good first post?

Well keeping in mind this was just what I felt I did wrong. An introductory post might work for you but if you want my advice, I would just jump right into talking about your subject.

As long as the post is coherent and easy to read you're gold. I've had a few positive reactions to my stuff so far, so I'm sticking with it. I think the other mistake you can make is just giving up on your blog because it doesn't seem like anyone is reading it.

Keep in mind, blogs are just the high tech version of what people have been doing for centuries. Some of the most meaningful words in print have been in journal format. Even if it doesn't seem like many people are interested now that doesn't mean that what you write isn't going to be interesting to someone.

This antique store I used to tarot readings for had a journal written by a man in 1836. The entries were largely focused on his secret love affair with another man.

Deleted member 42

In addition to posts, your blog needs at least two static pages, and often, if you're a writer 3:

1. About—This is a brief bio, generally, unless you have something that requires explanation. When I first started blogging in 2002 I kept having to explain what it meant to be a "digital medievalist," so on some of my sites, it's lengthy.

2. Contact—How to reach you, i.e. an email address or, better, a contact form (to protect your email address from bots/spam). If you have an agent, you'd list your agent here too.

3. Publications/Books—when/if you have them, with covers (small), publication data, ISBN # and links to online retailers' book pages for your books, etc.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
As an aspiring comedian that could be useful advice for me as well. The only reason I'm not doing it so far is that I'm not sure how many of my "followers" are actually reading the blog and how many are just adding me so that I'll add them.

Plus, I don't really want to use my blog to advertise anything other than how my mind works, which may or may not scare off a potential booker.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
The biggest mistake I've found is flaking out. I try to post 5 days a week at the same time. When I miss them even I really see the effect it has. So I've made sure that if I need a rest day, I make sure I can at least put up a post asking for what people think. I may start doing polls instead.

Deleted member 42

If you have a post that isn't "timely," that is, it is responding to something current/now, consider writing and saving it to Publish/Post later.

iLion

Why do I say these things?
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvsQ9hYKq7c
I am beginning to think about thinking about beginning a blog. :D

Seriously, that's the point I'm at. I will blog, but haven't a clue yet about the operational logistics of where might be best to host it, or the 'how to's", etc.

But I really want to ask about blog subject matter:

My interests are WIDE, and can go from one extreme to another and have no connection between them.

So.. is it feasible to blog one day about how the laws of physics, as we currently understand them, might apply to the spiritual side of life - then, the next day might be about how to gain the trust of an animal or communicate beautifully with an infant - then, the next could be about ways to value being alive so that it actually affects you in wonderful ways - and the next about something extremely bizzare that happened to me in 1957 involving 100 dead bodies, etc.

What I want to say to the world is different every day. Can that work in a blog, do you tihnk?

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Keep in mind that you can schedule posts in most blogging platforms. Write it when you're up to writing it. Then schedule it to be published whenever you want. Maybe you write five posts over the weekend; you can schedule them to go live over the next 2 weeks, on Mondays and Thursdays, for example.

On my self-hosted Wordpress blog, the scheduling options are part of the Publish section. You should see "Publish Immediately" with an Edit link. Hitting that link lets you set the date and time for the post to go live.

There's actually supposed to be a trick to timing your posts. I seem to recall something about posting early in the day Eastern Time. There should be all sorts of articles about it; it's basically an SEO thing.

magicmint

Registered
Reaction score
I once posted something terrible, and I am ashamed of once having that kind of opinion, (especially after furthering my academic career and reading more...anyways) and instead of taking the time to understand and learn from legitimate and thought provoking criticism, I made a second post "defending" my original post. Anyways, I deleted those posts and this was a whole ago. But it was bad...I apologize blogosphere!

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
That's a good point. It's part of why I might only reply with a single word of thanks if I don't agree with someone's criticism, but I don't want to sound defensive.

Williamschmit

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I think weblog errors rely on what you're writing a weblog for not everyone is writing them to be read by the public. I think one writing a weblog error I've made is not getting other weblog writers previously.

Last edited by a moderator: