The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Agency] Rubin Pfeffer Content

[Agency] Rubin Pfeffer Content

So today I got an interesting comment on my blog. It's from an agent at Rubin Pfeffer Content, she's interested in the MG I'm querying (though technically I've paused that for a revision). I have the query posted in a tab on my blog and she wants me to query her.

Here is the site: http://www.rpcontent.com/

From what I can see this is brand new agency split from East West Literary Agency. Rubin Pfeffer is a former Simon & Schuster editor and they have quite a few book posted in their "author and illustrators" tabs.

Looks pretty good to me but I check here obsessively before querying anyone so I thought I'd start a thread for them
    http://Www.staceytrombley.com-

NAKED- available now from Entangled Teen
    PUSHING THE BOUNDARIES- January 2017, Entangled Crush

Hmmmm...looks like they have some legit authors - Elana K. Arnold has a deal with Random House. Not sure if they're doing eBook publishing on the side, or what. It's weird that she came to you, though. Maybe your stuff is just that good!

There's also a nice write up about Pfeffer at Publishers Weekly. No warnings on P&E or anywhere that I can see. I'd say go for it.
    Last edited by popgun62; 04-25-2014 at 11:59 PM.
    Author of high-octane sci-fi, fantasy and horror!

www.tobytatestories.com Amazon

Represented by

Well they just opened their doors this year. Rubin's been around for a while and I'm guessing brought over his clients. The agent who contacted me is a woman and I assume she's newer and is building her list. No idea how she came across my blog but I've heard of it happening.

practical experience, FTW
    They have a clean record on Preditors and Editors, which is a good sign. They seem to have a good publishing list too. I say go for it!

Yeah, I'm sure I'll give it a shot. I'm still in the middle of a revision though so hopefully the invite will stay open a few more weeks. I don't want to send something not ready.

If you're serious about submitting to her, I'd suggest sending her an e-mail letting her know your situation (that you are revising and will query her once revisions are done, add timeline). This is assuming you haven't done the latter already.

In my experience with agents, the invites never close since they only ask about things that are really interesting to them.

Anyway, congratulations on the unsolicited request! That's always exciting. (And good luck, too, with the novel.)

You might want to send her a note explaining that you're doing a revision so she doesn't wonder why you didn't answer. She probably won't mind waiting if she knows what's going on. Good luck!
    Author of high-octane sci-fi, fantasy and horror!

www.tobytatestories.com Amazon

Represented by

Thedrellum and Popgun, thanks. Will do.

Their submissions page first states that they "accept submissions by referral only" (underline is theirs), but go on to say that they accept queries with manuscripts attached as PDF or DOC file at such-and-such email address.

So... open to submissions or not? :/
    MAYBE IN PARIS - YA contemporary - coming June 6th 2017 from Sky Pony Press! Now available to preorder on Amazon!

Represented by Rebecca Podos of Rees Literary!

Add my book on Goodreads!

Facebook - I don't really know what I'm doing there yet
    Twitter - Sometimes I'm funny there
    Tumblr - My blog

I'd say they're closed. But IF you had a referral, then you'd follow their normal guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by Becca C. View Post
    Their submissions page first states that they "accept submissions by referral only" (underline is theirs), but go on to say that they accept queries with manuscripts attached as PDF or DOC file at such-and-such email address.

So... open to submissions or not? :/
    It looks like they're closed to unsolicited queries & submissions. Their site provides instructions only for those who are submitting by referral.

ETA: Yeah, what Thedrellum said.
    Last edited by VonAngel; 04-29-2014 at 09:49 PM.

{BLOG}

Yeah it says if you submit make sure to explain the referral in the query.

mostly lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromboli View Post
    So today I got an interesting comment on my blog. It's from an agent at Rubin Pfeffer Content, she's interested in the MG I'm querying (though technically I've paused that for a revision). I have the query posted in a tab on my blog and she wants me to query her.
    I'm betting she's my agent! Send me a PM with her name if you want to be sure. Good luck!

Note to mod: Rubin's name is spelled wrong in the index
    Last edited by notveryalice; 05-16-2014 at 06:36 AM.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by notveryalice View Post
    I'm betting she's my agent! Send me a PM with her name if you want to be sure. Good luck!

Note to mod: Rubin's name is spelled wrong in the index
    Fixed, thanks!
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

mostly lurking
    I thought of something that might help potential RPC clients: whilst I can't in good conscience give you the name of my agent (she isn't public yet, building her client list first), I CAN tell you she's easy to find. Search her name, and information about her will pop up straight away. She has a big footprint.

Don’t know if you’ve submitted to RPC yet, but I can tell you that Rubin Pfeffer is beyond legit. He represents me and sold my debut YA to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and it went on to make the 2014 YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults list. He is extremely well-known and well-respected in the industry and every one of his clients I have talked to feel lucky and honored to have him as their agent (myself included). Be sure your manuscript is absolutely the best it can be before you submit because he is VERY picky. I don’t know who the assistant is who contacted you, but the MS will definitely have to be approved by him. Good luck.

mostly lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by scottblagden View Post
    Donít know if youíve submitted to RPC yet, but I can tell you that Rubin Pfeffer is beyond legit. He represents me and sold my debut YA to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and it went on to make the 2014 YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults list. He is extremely well-known and well-respected in the industry and every one of his clients I have talked to feel lucky and honored to have him as their agent (myself included). Be sure your manuscript is absolutely the best it can be before you submit because he is VERY picky. I donít know who the assistant is who contacted you, but the MS will definitely have to be approved by him. Good luck.
    Hey Scott,

Melissa Nasson (I can say her name now, yay!) isn't Rubin's assistant. She's an agent with the agency. She approves her own clients.

Cheers,
    A.

Melissa Nasson just sent me an email requesting the first 50 pages! The very highlight of my day.

Does anyone know her response times on requested work?
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

My YA novel, FIX ME is coming from Flux Books November 2017

Scribe of the girls in the basement Marissa D's Avatar
    New England but hankering for the old one
    Undercover, I queried her in November after meeting her at a local SCBWI event. She requested the full manuscript in mid-December, then sent me a R&R letter in late January. I did the suggested revisions and sent the story back to her in early March...and am waiting for a response.

Ok, thanks Marissa. Congrats on the R&R!!! Hope you get good news soon.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

My YA novel, FIX ME is coming from Flux Books November 2017