I'm not sure how to feel about this rejection letter for my novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwilliard

Registered
Reaction score
I just recieved this rejection and am not quite sure whether to be happy or sad:

Dear Charles,
Thank you for sending me your materials, which I have now read. I think you are a good writer, but I did not feel enthusiastic enough about your manuscript to represent it, and I am therefore unable to offer literary representation at this time.

Clearly having an agent, and a good one at that, tell you that you're a good writer should make anyone happy. However, in the same sentence the agent says he isn't enthusiastic about my work. I'm not sure if I should be encouraged or discouraged. I'm sure someone else out there has gotten a similar rejection, if anyone has were you happy or not?

MarkN

Altogether Ookie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nutterwriter.wordpress.com
I'd call it a good sign. Agents aren't God--nobody can really say whether someone's story is "good" or "bad," because, for example, the only Stephen King book I've ever been able to read more than 15 pages of is "It." Lots of people think King is great (obviously) but I don't care for him. Likewise, one agent may read your story and not care for it, but that doesn't mean someone else might not love it.

I'd call this one a sign that you are a good writer, and just need to keep looking for the right agent. If you've tried a hundred or so agents and they all are saying "Thanks but no thanks," maybe you should write another novel. But if you are only on your first dozen agents or so, I'd say keep going.

rchastain

Registered
Reaction score
The best advice is always not to think too much about agent passes, just go forward with more queries.

However, unless this reply is a disguised form letter, I think what it means, bluntly put, is “I like the way you write but not what you’ve written.”

“Lack of suffcient enthusiasm” is a common phrase in rejection letters. I think I get it—I've read innumerable published books I liked fine but not enough that I personally would have agented them. The key is connecting with an agent who 100% loves your ms. The process is so competitive that anyone else, even if they think it's generally pretty good, will pass.

The positive message is that, again and again, agents cite poor writing as their number one reason for rejections. Since that’s not the issue, you’re already in the top 10% (more or less) of queried manuscripts. It could be a question of the agent’s personal taste. Keep querying. If it doesn’t work out, use those writing skills to craft your next novel.

RC

Last edited:

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emeraldcite.blogspot.com
Don't get discouraged, it's a polite way of saying that they're gonna pass on it.

Think of it this way: of all the novels you read, do you recommend every one to your friends? Probably not. But I'm sure that there are a few novels that you really recommend that blew you away. Some people love the Da Vinci Code, some people don't. I read it, but I don't go around recommending it, but it was recommended to me. Different tastes.

Agents have to really want to tell someone, hey, you should spend your money and stake your budget on this book because I know everyone's going to love it.

You have to find the right agent that feels this way about your book. Otherwise, it's a disservice to you.

Don't worry. Finding the right agent is like getting married; you'll know when you've found the right one. You love your work and they'll love it too. That's the foundation of a good working relationship.

PS. I'm going to move this down to the rejection board. Take a gander at that board and the Accomplishments board. You'll feel better about this letter, I promise.

Keep submitting!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Rejection

The best way to think about such rejections slips is to remember they all mean no, and move on. They all mean, "I don't think I can sell this work to a commercial publisher."

If they mean anything more than this, you won't have to guess at it because the agent will give you a detailed critique, will either ask for a rewrite, or will specifically ask to see whatever you write next.

Agents and editor can both be wrong, and often are, but it's always good to remember that in publishing "good" means it's something that the agent thinks she can sell, or that an editor thinks the reading public will buy. "Bad" is everything else. A horribly written, cliched, muddy wreck of a manuscript is bad, but so is a well-written manuscript if it's something an agent or editor thinks no one will want to read.

But when an agent or an editor believes you have real potential, when they think there's a real and serious chance that you can write a novel the reaidng public wants, you won't have to wonder about it.

When an agent or editor says no, but doesn't give you detailed reasons why, then thining too much about it helps nothing. Just repackage, and look for an agent with better taste.

cwilliard

Registered
Reaction score
I'm no stranger to rejection. My other book that I'm trying to publish has recieved nearly 80 rejections. I was just thinking that maybe the total idea of my current novel was not too good. Maybe I'm just overthinking. Thanks for the replies.

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
a no is a no, just move on and stop overanalyzing a form rejection letter

Status
Not open for further replies.