South Carolina state fossil

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
In case you'd missed this: the state of South Carolina has a proposal on the books to officially recognize a "state fossil." Yes, I know about Strom Thurmond, but that's not it. And I know that there's a lot of cynicism about this kind of exercise in legislative trivia. But:

In this case, a very smart 8-year-old learned that it was in South Carolina, her state, that the first fossil woolly mammoth in North America was discovered. So she wrote a letter to legislators proposing that the pass legislation declaring the woolly mammoth to be the official state fossil.

The legislators she wrote to thought it was a cute idea, simple to pass, and good public relations. Until . . . they bumped up against a couple of creationists among their own midst, who insisted on inserting language specifying that the woolly mammoth "was created on the sixth day along with the other beasts of the field."

Just to make a point, I hereby link the Fox News story on this matter, but you'll have no trouble finding all manner of other sources for this story. And, oh yes, the two creationists were, indeed, Republicans.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/01/mammoth-bible-south-carolina-state-fossil/

caw

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
And this, I fear, is why America will never again be a world leader in science - we've become too afraid of offending the mental fossils to even acknowledge the real thing.

PD - Did Massachusetts specify on which day God baked the state cookie, or was it assumed He just bought a bag of Chips Ahoy at the heavenly grocery store? ;)

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I read this story a few days ago, and was disgusted. I commend this young lady for her simple suggestion, but these two creationists infuriate me. Why the hell does a state law have to have a "credit God" statement? Un-friggin'-believable.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I think we should require all people running for office to pass a test showing a basic understanding of our legal system. Separation of church and state should be one of those. Requiring a state symbol to include a specific religious belief that applies to only a portion of society? Does not apply.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
State fossil??? Here in Iowa it's known as Govenor Branstad! :evil

In reading about the SC event, I came across a map showing the states which do have official state fossils. Mine, Alaska, also has the woolly mammoth as the sanctioned beast. Only a few states do not have an officially designated state fossil, and, amazingly, Iowa, the state in which I grew up and just about the most fossil-rich state in the nation, does not have an official fossil. Similarly, fossil-rich Kansas, also does not have one.

But the best of these is probably Vermont, whose official state fossil is the Beluga whale. Which is not extinct, and most certainly does not exist in the state of Vermont, which has no seacoast.

Figger out that one for me, will you Vermontifiers?

caw

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
In reading about the SC event, I came across a map showing the states which do have official state fossils. Mine, Alaska, also has the woolly mammoth as the sanctioned beast. Only a few states do not have an officially designated state fossil, and, amazingly, Iowa, the state in which I grew up and just about the most fossil-rich state in the nation, does not have an official fossil. Similarly, fossil-rich Kansas, also does not have one.

But the best of these is probably Vermont, whose official state fossil is the Beluga whale. Which is not extinct, and most certainly does not exist in the state of Vermont, which has no seacoast.

Figger out that one for me, will you Vermontifiers?

caw

Maybe Kansas and Iowa couldn't decide which one to pick? Research has shown that when people have too many choices they often end up making none.

Maybe there's some fossil version of the beluga that they have chosen in Vermont. And Belugas do go up inland waterways. They're found in the St. Lawrence river estuary (and sadly are a case study for cancer in wildlife, poor things), for instance (though it doesn't flow through Vermont). And of course, some places that are dry land now were once covered with water. The table says it's a Pleistocene fossil, which is pretty recent. Maybe lake Champlain once had them or something?

Ahh, here's the answer. The Atlantic once extended into areas of Vermont and NY, and there's a particular folliszed beluga whale skeleton that's in the museum at the university of Vermont.

http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/Vermont/VT-fossil-whale.html

Or maybe they ate too much Ben and Jerry's and simply got their state mammal confused with the state fossil.

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
That's because there are no fossilizable parts of a shark except the teeth. Sharks do not have bones.

caw

Huh, I legitimately did not know that. However, there are fossilized vertebrae from the megalodon, which, I suppose is not nearly as cool as their teeth.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I think the state fossil has to be something specific they actually found in that state, and it's usually a famous specimen they have in a museum somewhere. Massachusetts, which also has a state cookie, has dinosaur tracks as their official fossil.

There's a long list of official state things: gemstones, minerals, rocks, mammals, reptiles, fish, flowers, birds, fossils, songs, mottos, trees and so on.

California had a state senate bill back in 2009-2010 to remove serpentine as the state rock, but it died, thanks to a campaign by geologists to save the state rock. It got extremely acrimonious.

So it's not just creationists who play politics with official state whatevers.

I think we should increase the pride we all have in our states by expanding the list of state mascots even further.

State desserts (Massachusetts leads the way with its cookie)
State alcoholic beverage
State toxin
State sexual position
State mollusc
State parasite
State crime
State undergarment
State disease

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
State serial killer
State pro wrestling signature move
State smell
State sin
Official state embarrassment
State other state (North Dakota can be the official state of Ohio, eg.)

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Someone start a petition.

State gastrotrich
State proofreading mark
State Pantone colour
State stage of arthropod succession on cadavers
State state of mind (NY has that covered)

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I think every state should have an official state nut.

New York, for instance, could choose between Andrew Weiner and Elliot Spitzer.
Michigan could pick Ted Nugent.
I'll leave nominees for the rest of the states to the imagination.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Here in AZ we have too many to choose from.

Our fossil is petrified wood.

MM

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I think the state fossil has to be something specific they actually found in that state, and it's usually a famous specimen they have in a museum somewhere. Massachusetts, which also has a state cookie, has dinosaur tracks as their official fossil.

There's a long list of official state things: gemstones, minerals, rocks, mammals, reptiles, fish, flowers, birds, fossils, songs, mottos, trees and so on.

California had a state senate bill back in 2009-2010 to remove serpentine as the state rock, but it died, thanks to a campaign by geologists to save the state rock. It got extremely acrimonious.

So it's not just creationists who play politics with official state whatevers.

I think we should increase the pride we all have in our states by expanding the list of state mascots even further.

State desserts (Massachusetts leads the way with its cookie)
State alcoholic beverage
State toxin
State sexual position
State mollusc
State parasite
State crime
State undergarment
State disease

State serial killer
State pro wrestling signature move
State smell
State sin
Official state embarrassment
State other state (North Dakota can be the official state of Ohio, eg.)

Someone start a petition.

State gastrotrich
State proofreading mark
State Pantone colour
State stage of arthropod succession on cadavers
State state of mind (NY has that covered)

We'd all be better off if legislatures were restricted to such ceremonial decisions and left the rest of us the hell alone. :)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Hear, hear. They aren't getting any real work done right now, anyway.

As for the OT, that poor girl. I don't know if that would be a rallying cry to grow up to change South Carolina, or just get the hell out. I know people who have turned down tech jobs because they didn't want to move there.