Colbert to replace Letterman

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have seen some sources speculate that Ferguson's contract is nearly up, and they may be considering yet another replacement for him as well. That would be the bigger burn, in my opinion, but I haven't read anything that I've taken with much more than a grain of salt.

If Jay had not reretired, they may have considered Ferguson more seriously. But I'm not sure he would have competed well with the Jimmys (from an executive perspective), and CBS is looking long-term. Colbert's contract was also due to be up in a year, and Les is a big fan of his.

Anyway, what seems like a short turnaround for us was a discussion point at the network for much longer.

That just sounds sad, as if the country has gone even more Leno.

I saw one article suggesting Handler because she was the only truly cynical, pissy host left anyplace. I don't know that's really true, particularly, nor do I think she'd have been a decent pick at all, for several reasons, but I do think the tide has gone more Leno-esque and it's sad.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Part of it is generational, I think. Kimmel has been able to attract a fairly wide audience but Conan didn't click with the intended demo, and (for now) the younger crowd is loving Fallon. I've said before that he was the right host to capture the 20-30 age group now and ensure they watch him for the next 30 years.

Now Colbert will challenge that a bit. And he can do the sarcastic, cynical thing if he chooses too (and so can Seth Meyers, although I haven't seen his show at all).

As for Chelsea, I agree she wouldn't be right. I'd like to see a woman takeover something in Colbert's vacant spot, though.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I never even liked Letterman...

Q.F.T.

Didn't watch Leno or Letterman. Don't watch Fallon or Ferguson or Kimmel or O'Brien either and Colbert is no reason to start now. :e2yawn:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Q.F.T.

Didn't watch Leno or Letterman. Don't watch Fallon or Ferguson or Kimmel or O'Brien either and Colbert is no reason to start now. :e2yawn:

Then did you not like him or just not watch talk shows? That's different, imo. I don't watch Fallon, but I wouldn't say I don't like him. I didn't watch Leno because I do not like Leno.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Then did you not like him or just not watch talk shows? That's different, imo. I don't watch Fallon, but I wouldn't say I don't like him. I didn't watch Leno because I do not like Leno.

It's not so much a matter of dislike as it is I don't care for talk shows. But that's partially because of David Letterman.

Back in the day when Letterman was still on NBC, I had I broken my ankle and was off-work for three months. During that time I got to watch Letterman for three months and that was all the Letterman I needed to see for the rest of my life.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I'd like to see a woman takeover something in Colbert's vacant spot, though.

*dreams of Jessica Williams getting her own show*

I know, I know, she's a ways off from that at her career point. But she's my favorite Daily Show correspondent since John Oliver left, and I would die if I got to watch her for a solid half hour every night. Not cuz I have a huge crush on her, I swear. Well, not ONLY that . . . ;)

I've never watched any late night comedy other than the Stewart/Colbert lineup. I guess that'll have to change now. I do hope Comedy Central keeps another political parody in the Colbert spot, though they'll need someone who kicks ass at that sort of thing -- speaking of John Oliver, is he continuing with HBO next year? :D

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
That's not (just) fogeyness. I LIKED Johnny Carson. I watched Leno and Letterman some in the 90s or whatever decade(s) they were first on, and after a while I got used to them, but they were NOT Johnny.

Now I was in college in the 80s, and for many of my friends, Letterman was very popular (on after Carson on NBC in those days). He was definitely catering to a younger crowd back then. A lot of us students would get back from whatever it was we were doing until all hours (studying at the library, of course :D), watch Dave and turn in. Carson was more of a warm up for Dave.

But at some point, it got dull and repetitive, and then he changed networks and moved to the earlier time slot (decided to not wait for Carson to retire anymore). I haven't watched Letterman in years and years. In fact, I was surprised to hear he was still on.

I might give it a shot with Colbert, just to see how he handles it.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
It's not so much a matter of dislike as it is I don't care for talk shows. But that's partially because of David Letterman.

Back in the day when Letterman was still on NBC, I had I broken my ankle and was off-work for three months. During that time I got to watch Letterman for three months and that was all the Letterman I needed to see for the rest of my life.

Ah, well tastes differ.

I think he's the best there's ever been at what he does.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I would LOVE to see John Oliver take over a show at Comedy Central. He did such an amazing job on the Daily Show that I would just love for him to have his own spot. But now he's over at HBO. :(

I'm really sad about this because I adore the Colbert Report. When the news is particularly gloomy, I'll have to avoid the Daily Show because I'll get depressed/infuriated watching it, but Colbert always makes me laugh because he's silly enough that I don't tend to get as angry. I love his segments, and he's a great interviewer. Ugh. Just don't want to see that show go. I've watched it from the first episode.

I really do hope they find a good replacement rather than just outright canceling it.

And I was never a fan of Letterman, either. I watched him a bit and it was okay, but I preferred Leno if I had to choose one of them. Neither was something I would go out of my way to watch, though.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score

I agree. I felt like he set the standard for what those types of shows, and they're hosts were supposed to be. I liked Conan pretty well, but I didn't watch him regularly. I still don't really watch any shows like that unless someone I like is on.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I would like to see a new format, spoofing Fox & Friends and Morning America. Perhaps an all-female cast, perhaps not, but you at least get some new fresh material that people don't have to try to match themselves against whit may be the inimitable character that was Stephen Colbert the Rightwing Blowhard.

jimmymc

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Colbert needs anger management. Didn't watch scum Letterman, won't watch Colbert.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Anger management? Why? Yes, his character was someone who got "angry" all the time, but that was part of the satire, mocking the likes of Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly. Everything I've seen about Colbert the actual person (and not the character he played on his show) makes him seem level-headed and easy going. I love interviews with him because he seems like a really cool, smart dud.

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really too old to join this discussion. On the other hand, I'm so old that I've gained the right to be opinionated and to offer my opinions whether anybody wants them or not. For me, Johnny Carson was the gold standard. Tom Snyder, a different type of show, I enjoyed. I like Leno's personality, but got tired of his show. (Keep in mind, I watch only bits and pieces, as I see these things intermittently while caring for my wife/patient, who watches them.) Conan and Jimmy Fallon would have really cracked me up when I was a college sophomore, but now I find them mostly juvenile and don't care to watch them. The other Jimmy can be funny, but he comes across, to me, as too self-adoring. Somebody mentioned Chelsea Handler. I find her to be the most irritating, loud, shrill proponent of mean humor around. David Letterman shows flashes of brilliance, interspersed unexpectedly in long stretches of inane, repetitive, time-wasting attempts at being funny, much appreciated by himself. Seth Meyers is, in my opinion, brilliantly witty and very entertaining, except that after he said "like" 20 times in one interview, I decided he was killing me and stopped watching him.
Those are my opinions. So there.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Colbert needs anger management. Didn't watch scum Letterman, won't watch Colbert.
Colbert's reputation among his peers is that of a truly decent man, understated, generous, and kind.
kaitie said:
Anger management? Why? Yes, his character was someone who got "angry" all the time, but that was part of the satire, mocking the likes of Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly. Everything I've seen about Colbert the actual person (and not the character he played on his show) makes him seem level-headed and easy going. I love interviews with him because he seems like a really cool, smart dude.
Occasionally, posters give a one liner assertion of a position without foundation or any backing evidence, and invariably provide no response when asked for amplification, clarification, or actual supporting evidence.

Almost like if someone were to simply assert that Obama is a "clown and laughingstock to the world," with no evidence to back it up, and no response. Every discussion board has their pesky gnats.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I like Colbert, I think there's a lot more to him that his schtick, and I think he'll be good. I've always like Letterman, Leno not so much. Though I think he was better before he got The Tonight Show, had more of an edge.

I don't think Jimmy Fallon is funny, or the other new guy either, Seth. I like the Scottish guy a lot.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I never even liked Letterman...
I liked him when he was first starting out and when he had a MORNING show. I thought NBC had been grooming him for Carson's spot, but I can't remember what happened.

All I know is since he took over the late night slot, he's been rather angry and bitter and now he's old angry and bitter. So in my opinion, Colbert would be perfect since he seems rather angry and bitter also.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I think it's a brilliant choice. I'm guessing that most Letterman fans are also Colbert fans. They both have a certain cynical yet goofy appeal.

I actually don't find either of them particularly bitter, angry, or nasty. But then, I like my satire with a bit of edge to it.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I liked him when he was first starting out and when he had a MORNING show. I thought NBC had been grooming him for Carson's spot, but I can't remember what happened.

All I know is since he took over the late night slot, he's been rather angry and bitter and now he's old angry and bitter. So in my opinion, Colbert would be perfect since he seems rather angry and bitter also.

Oh, he was far angrier and more bitter before he moved to CBS. He made people cry on NBC - it was glorious. He only gets pissed enough to let the 11:30 facade drop sometimes on CBS (Bill O'Reilly, Madonna, etc.) and when he does it's a treat.

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
I must have nodded off during my earlier comment. I meant to add that I think Colbert will be an excellent replacement for Letterman.