• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

AKA Literary Management (formerly Anita Kushen & Associates)

AmyC

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this agent? She has just responded to a query that she would like to see my manuscript and I can't seem to find out any info about her.

Thanks!

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
Why'd you query an agent you know nothing about? Be careful...too many scammers and crooks out there.

The blind-date approach to getting an agent scares me.

But what the hell do I know?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. Indeed, all I'm finding is that AKA - Anita Kushen & Associates, Inc is in Colorado and reps "Fiction & Non, Sci-Fi, Romance & Kids".

Amy, ask her for recent sales info, etc. before you commit to anything.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I've gotten questions about this agency, and can find no information about it whatsoever beyond a few online listings. A reputable agent, or a new agent with a publishing industry background, is generally more researchable. Proceed with caution.

- Victoria

AmyC

Registered
Reaction score
I found her at that same link - on the Writer's Free Website. Is it possible that she is simply new--not necessarily a "preditor"? Yes - I'm very new at this game, but I feel that unless an agent is trying to charge a fee, their intentions are good. Or, am I just being entirely too naive?

Amy

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks...I read that and the other link you provided. If you have someone willing to buy your book...why have an agent?(Am I being naive?) I understand they hopefully are an avocate for you(the writer), aren't they?

It's so confusing, the next step is asking for a list of recent sales.

AmyC

Registered
Reaction score
I read the link and that is some scary stuff! Would you ask for a list of recent sales before being offered a contract? Anita Kushen just requested to see my manuscript, so I don't want to seem pushy. What is the etiquette for asking for an agent's sales? Would you ask before sending your manuscript, or is it only if you've been offered representation?

Thanks -- and on a side note, the information on this website is wonderful!

Amy

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
I asked her for a list of recent sales. I'll let you know what happens. It can't hurt to ask.

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
Baywitch said:
If you have someone willing to buy your book...why have an agent?(Am I being naive?) I understand they hopefully are an avocate for you(the writer), aren't they?

Yes, an agent can get a novice into the big houses they can't get into on their own, and is (hopefully) skilled in the art of negotiation.
it's possible, of course, to get published on your own but it's few and far between.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Toni1953 said:
Yes, an agent can get a novice into the big houses they can't get into on their own, and is (hopefully) skilled in the art of negotiation.
it's possible, of course, to get published on your own but it's few and far between.

I disagree that the cases of someone being published without an agent are few and far between. Where are you getting your information?

AmyC

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you to Baywitch for asking her for her recent sales--I'm looking forward to hearing her answer.

Amy

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
AmyC said:
I read the link and that is some scary stuff! Would you ask for a list of recent sales before being offered a contract? Anita Kushen just requested to see my manuscript, so I don't want to seem pushy. What is the etiquette for asking for an agent's sales? Would you ask before sending your manuscript, or is it only if you've been offered representation?

Thanks -- and on a side note, the information on this website is wonderful!

Amy

I think most people tend to ask once they've been offered representation, though I can't think an agent would mind being asked that beforehand. Of course, if you wait to ask after being offered representation still make sure to do as much due diligence ahead of time as possible. And when you do ask as long as you do so politely and professionally you won't seem pushy at all. Most agents LOVE to "brag" on their clients.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Baywitch said:
I asked her for a list of recent sales. I'll let you know what happens. It can't hurt to ask.
If she claims to have no sales because she's new, ask her what her professional background is. A new agent should have worked in publishing or for another reputable agency, otherwise she is unlikely to have the skills she needs to do the job.

- Victoria

AmyC

Registered
Reaction score
I found this link - not exactly sure if this is any kind of reliable news, but it states that Anita Kushen used to be an editor. Again, this is someone's blog and I found it doing a search on dogpile.com, but it's something.

http://otherblaugustine.blog.co.uk/2005/08/29/another_god_interview~149090

Has anyone gotten a response to their question about what kind of sales record she has? Thanks, Amy

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Baywitch said:
If you have someone willing to buy your book...why have an agent?(Am I being naive?) I understand they hopefully are an avocate for you(the writer), aren't they?
Baywitch, did you get your answer to that question from someone? If not, I'll take a stab at it. It's because getting an offer is just the beginning of a whole series of negotiations with the publisher on your contract, for a start. Your agent needs to know what's the going rate for certain types of books at different houses, which contract clauses are negotiable and which aren't, and so on; also, ideally, your agent will help you plan your writing career beyond selling the one book.

If you go to SFWA's website, you can see sample publishing contracts, and see for yourself how hard they can be to understand. I wouldn't want to try to negotiate my own publishing deal, or plan my writing career without expert guidance.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Aconite said:
Baywitch, did you get your answer to that question from someone? If not, I'll take a stab at it. It's because getting an offer is just the beginning of a whole series of negotiations with the publisher on your contract, for a start.

Amen to that. Last time I bought a book out of the slush and the author decided heesh didn't need an agent, I spent the better part of a week writing explanations of queried items in the proposed contract, and having long discussions over the phone. Mind you, that was a smart, openminded author, and a simple contract.

When Hollywood later came sniffing around after the book, the author did the sensible thing and got a good agent. I was relieved. Dealing with the publishing industry when you don't have an agent is like taking a walk on city streets at night. Dealing with the movie industry when you don't have an agent is like going naked and unarmed into a melee.

AmyC

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I went ahead and asked her about recent sales before sending my manuscript and here is her response:

Dear Amy,
My agency has only been open since last August. I have published authors but, as of yet, have not gotten any contracts. I have 20 plus years in the business as a freelance editor. I helped get manuscripts ready for agents or to send directly to a publishing house (not something done very much anymore). My agency is a newbie but alas I am not. I have made alot of progress and will have a contract (s) soon. This business has changed in the last few years as so many of my contacts have moved on, retired or just plain disappeared. It has given me an opportunity to make new contacts and therefore, no loss, no hurt. If you are looking for someone with more experience (in as far as getting the deed done) I will understand and of course wish you the best in your search. Let me know how things go.

Anita

My feeling (and please know that I am a naturally trusting person who is too new in this business to have been burned yet!) is that she is sincere, but lacks experience. I'm working on revising my manuscript after receiving feedback from more experienced agents and don't know whether I should send it to her once I'm finished or not. I'll figure it out when I get there!

Amy

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
"My agency is a newbie but alas I am not"? Interesting word choice. I wonder if she meant it?

"If you are looking for someone with more experience (in as far as getting the deed done)[...]." "Any" would be a better word there than "more," since she has none.

I think you're right, Amy: well intentioned, but clueless and unskilled.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
AmyC said:
It has given me an opportunity to make new contacts and therefore, no loss, no hurt.

Freelance editor for twenty years sound bad,* and esp. the above. She's no contacts, but she sees that as an opportunity. This is what the corporate world calls a problem these days--an opportunity.

*And as I now recall, there's one guy on the twenty worst agents list who claims a similar background--twenty years as a freelance editor.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Amy,
My agency has only been open since last August. I have published authors but, as of yet, have not gotten any contracts. I have 20 plus years in the business as a freelance editor. I helped get manuscripts ready for agents or to send directly to a publishing house (not something done very much anymore). My agency is a newbie but alas I am not. I have made alot of progress and will have a contract (s) soon. This business has changed in the last few years as so many of my contacts have moved on, retired or just plain disappeared. It has given me an opportunity to make new contacts and therefore, no loss, no hurt. If you are looking for someone with more experience (in as far as getting the deed done) I will understand and of course wish you the best in your search. Let me know how things go.

Anita
This person was an editor for 20 years?! I'm not sure if the "causal email" caveat even applies here, since one would hope she'd be trying to impress a potential client.