Internet Grammar Hall of Shame

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That one, though, reads to me like an ESL person doing the best they can in English. I see it a lot at some of the Q&A places I go when I should be doing other things.

What I find far more disheartening are the American teens who are righting a fiction novel and ask what it should be about.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I am 99.999% certain that last one was not an ESL case. I'm very careful to exclude them. In this case. it really should have been caught before publishing. To me, it looked like sloppy proofreading. End-of-line oversights and cut/paste remnants leave errors that don't get spotted because the writer "knows" everything is okay. Zooming text up/down and looking it over with a different font can kick hidden tyops into view, by altering the word pattern so that it doesn't fit the mental image any more.

Here's a case where sloppy usage and slobby pronunciation get together and have a small party on the website of a large, unnamed organization:
...******s can pursue two distinct job tracts...

I will, of course, be a good citizen and inform them.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
it's/its is probably the number one grammar/spelling/punctuation error, closely followed by you're/your, with they're/there/their bringing up a distant third.

No, I don't have statistics. It just seems like that's what I see more than anything else.

Milenio

Registered
Reaction score
Aaaahhhh, the poor abused and misused apostrophe. I think I'll open a home for the poor things, where they can get the love and attention they deserve.

Milenio

Registered
Reaction score
From a headline in my news feed this morning (they're so obliging!)

Google has announced its intention to complete the first ring of it its internet-beaming balloon service by the end of 2016.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I admit I had to read that twice to see the goof. The eye sees what ought to be there.

In other news, my nephew Brian is on the design team for those balloons.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
LOL the balloon oops looks like a line-end job.

Earlier today I was digging info in a wiki I use frequently (and have editing powers in) and wincing every other minute, but didn't want to take time to slaughter the poor little apostrophleas. They will not be spared forever.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He's not allowed to talk about it directly, but his travel schedule makes it pretty clear. He's a great guy, funny and smart both. Our niece married well!

In keeping with the subject at hand, here's a golden oldie I saw at Yahoo Answers when I filtered the questions for US users only: What can I eat, I think I'm lack toes intollrunt?

Milenio

Registered
Reaction score
In keeping with the subject at hand, here's a golden oldie I saw at Yahoo Answers when I filtered the questions for US users only: What can I eat, I think I'm lack toes intollrunt?

:ROFL: Oh my goodness! One can have so much fun with a sentence like that!

Milenio

Registered
Reaction score
One of my pet hates in terms of grammar, is the use of "poisonous" and "venomous". My husband keeps telling me that the people on TV can't hear me when I shout out the difference :Headbang:

anastasiareeves

That weird chick everyone ignores.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasiareeves.com
I know this isn't Internet related, but the law firms that advertise "bad drugs" on TV finally got wise to their grammar issue with the statement of "if you have had these symptoms that resulted in injury or even death." Well, it's a damn miracle that in my death I am able to pursue a law suit, isn't it? Now they say "or a loved one even died." Still clunky but, at least they're not asking me to speak from the grave anymore.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Local ads are so ripe for this category, aren't they?

Years ago there was a TV ad for a store called Hide 'n Chic. Only the voice-over was "Hide and Chick!"

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Local ads. OMG. "Go see Cal and his dog, Spot." (It was a pig). The DIW commercials up from Seattle used to make my eyes bug out in disbelief. 'Course, we have some stinkers coming out of the island, as well.

"We've got crab-legs, at Sea Galley!"

:ROFL:

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
A headline on CNN.com this morning:

Poll: N. J. want's Christie out of race

Those apostrofleas* just keep reproducing. When are they going to make Frontline Plus for news agencies?

*I don't know who here came up with that term, but THANK YOU! :Hail:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Boy, I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates the small of havoc.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
CNN.com does it again.

"The anticipation for "25" has been growing since 2011 when Adele's last album, "21," won multiple Grammys and selling more than 11 million copies."

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I'd rather Viola had service than read "wa-la!" one more time...