Writing a story in the American Revolutionary Period

ablurryfigure

Hiding in the background
Registered
Reaction score
Me again.
I want to write a story in The American Revolutionary Period, I was looking for the best sites that can give me the most detailed information. I've tried Wiki, great for overall info.

And yes I have googled this. :)

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
If you want detail, then you will have to concentrate on a region, because the inter-regional differences were significant. You might try contacting re-enactors in that region and librarians, etc. There are more resources than you would want, so you will have to cut down your search before you go far.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
I would also recommend finding your nearest re-enactment group and going to some of their events, especially living history ones. It will give you the kind of details, and feel, and smells that you wouldn't get from a website.

You could attend as a member of the public. You could also talk to them about your writing and ask if there is a way to take part in the event. Bear in mind you'd be expected to be in costume and very accurate costume - made of linen and wool, all visible stitches done by hand not machine, colours that are believable as natural dies.

I would suggest either way, that you see if you can try wearing the period costumes - how restrictive is a the jacket, or the corset, or the long skirts, or what does it feel like to fire a musket or walk around with a sword suspended from the cross belt.

Last edited:

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
A good website for that would be Colonial Williamsburg's website.

www.history.org

When it comes to Revolutionary/Colonial life, they're the people to go to.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
To expand a little, I was reading "I Wanted To Write" the autobiography of Kenneth Roberts, and he mentioned finding journals, letters, official document, etc. while researching Arundel, Rabble In Arms, The Lively Lady, Captain Caution, and his other historical novels. Even though some of the characters were based on his ancestors, no one in the family knew what had happened not much more than a hundred years before. I don't know what you are thinking of writing about, but you'll have to dig.

melindamusil

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You definitely need to be more specific. As Neptune said, what region are you using? What class of individual - wealthy? poor? slave? What race - English? Irish? African? Jewish? What gender? What age?

And what happens to your MC that begins the story? The possibilities are quite endless, and we can't write your story for you.