How many subplots in a MG?

LucienDesar

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.desar.com
I read one quote from a major editor that first time writers are often "too ambitious with their plots" . How many subplots do you have in your middle grade book?

I doubt there is a right or wrong answer but it's still an interesting topic of discussion.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking about the books I've read recently, but it seems all of them only had one subplot. The main plot was the fighting-bad-guys, saving-the-world sort of stuff. The subplot usually had to do with "real life" issues, mainly family trouble.

I suppose a story could have two subplots, but they have to be handled carefully or they'll overshadow the main one. This goes for adult books, too: I'm reminded of a legal thriller that had three plots all at once. Two of them were presumably supposed to be subplots, but I had to keep reminding myself what scene went with one plot because they were all jumbled together. If I saw that kind of writing in a middle grade book I'd be annoyed at the writer.

But I'm getting off topic, so...

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I guess it depends on how you define a subplot.

For instance, Harry Potter and the P S had the fight against Voldemort/Quirrel as the main plot.
Harry learning magic.
Harry developing new friendships.
Harry's changing relationship to his adoptive family.
Quiddich.
The Snape thing, is he a bad-guy or not?
Enmity with Malfoy and his friends.

And a few dozen other subplots, depending on how tightly/loosely you define it.

@Samsonet I can't think of any book of MG level or higher I've read with just one subplot.

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
I think it also depends on how long of novel you're writing. A 7 book series like Harry Potter is going to need more subplots than a novel that is a stand-alone at 40,000 words.

I, myself, have had to delete subplots for my novel that I'm writing. I try to keep it concise and clear. End each book with a completed mission, which is the subplot and continue with the 'save the world, defeat the bad guy' plot.

In a time-traveler series I'm working on the goal is to get back to the future, but each book is a stand-alone adventure back in time. The first book the kids go back in time, have to try and save a girl from being convicted of witchcraft, meanwhile there is a demon who is cursed to wolf-form and his demon brother is trying to help him break the curse with the help of a witch--then they meet the time-traveler kids and go after them. And the Indian girl who is one of the main characters tries to warn King Phillip of what will happen to the Indians in the future.

So that's like 3 subplots, but I think it reads clearly. I think the ultimate thing to ask oneself when writing subplots is, do all these dots connect and form a perfect circle? Can I write the same story without this going on? Do I need this character? Do I need this drama. If you need them, you need them, that's all there is to it.

I'm pondering about slicing out some characters right now, but I'm still debating.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think one of the keys is ultimately tying the subplots into the main plot. They should be there for a reason.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
@Samsonet I can't think of any book of MG level or higher I've read with just one subplot.

I think that's because I was saying "subplot" when I was thinking of something else. Sorry for the confusion; I'm not a morning person.

If we're defining subplot as a plot thread that doesn't fit in with the main one at first, then yeah, you could pull it off. But the problem is making the plots fit with each other. If they don't have anything to do with each other, then you don't have a plot and subplot; you've got two unconnected stories in the same book.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
If we're defining subplot as a plot thread that doesn't fit in with the main one at first, then yeah, you could pull it off. But the problem is making the plots fit with each other. If they don't have anything to do with each other, then you don't have a plot and subplot; you've got two unconnected stories in the same book.

Certainly, it makes no sense to have the threads there if they're not part of the tapestry. Take the cliche romance subplot.

Guy fights evil.
Girl turns up and guy tries to win her heart while fighting evil.
Smoochie, smoochie.
Evil captures girl and throws the plot to a higher gear because Guy must save her.

It's just an excuse to force the hero into the final showdown, but it works as a subplot because it impacts the main plot.

Last edited:

jlstov

Registered
Reaction score

Agree with you and Drachen. A subplot must work back into the main story or add character development that will aid in the main story. In my project I do have many subplots, but all of them are larger archs for the whole series. Those who had read my novel, state they can see a resemblance to "Game of Thrones" although not as many characters. But every arch will work its way back. I've been somewhat concerned about this very issue in my project, so what I did do was put the main subplots in the primary books and I plan to write several "side books / point books" that go into depth of the subplots of other characters.