AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Silence in the Library Publishing

I sometimes hiccup fire parumpdragon's Avatar

Silence in the Library Publishing

Does anybody know anything about Silence In The Library Publishing?

Here's the link to their website : http://www.silenceinthelibrarypublishing.com

I'm just trying to find out more about them.
    A cute little bug :

Dear God, Thank you for keeping me together when I'm falling apart.

Goodreads

I'm a friend of Foo Bat - join the club!

They've run quite a few successful Kickstarters. The names of the authors and editors involved are ones I recognize. FWIW.
    Eggplant Literary Productions,
    A small electronic speculative fiction publisher.

Hi Roach,

thanks for the comment.

What are 'Kickstarters' exactly?
    Last edited by parumpdragon; 04-07-2014 at 07:46 AM.
    A cute little bug :

Goodreads

Quote Originally Posted by parumpdragon View Post
    Hi Roach,

What are 'Kickstarters' exactly?
    Crowd funding for projects.

They ran one for Time Traveled Tales. And here's the one for their latest Athena's Daughters. If you click on the links you'll see who is involved author and editor-wise.

From the website it looks like they aren't open to submissions at the moment. They've got four novels and six anthologies out (or coming soon?). Of their anthologies: Time Traveled Tales is out in print (POD) and e-book. I looked on Amazon.com and it's available there.
    Eggplant Literary Productions,
    A small electronic speculative fiction publisher.

Yeah I noticed they weren't open to subs, but I thought I'd keep checking back in the future .

They look good/promising, so I wanted to know what the whole kickstarter thing was all about ... I just found it on another thread here.

Thanks so much, Roach
    Last edited by parumpdragon; 04-07-2014 at 08:05 AM.
    A cute little bug :

Goodreads

haz a shiny new book cover Christine N.'s Avatar
    I know several people involved in their Athena's Daughters anthology, for which there was also a successful Kickstarter. All are writers I've known for years and are recognized in the industry.

Again, FWIW.
    Last edited by Christine N.; 04-10-2014 at 02:12 PM.
    Christine

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of

Just another face in a red jumpsuit shelleyo's Avatar
    I'm starstruck looking at the TOCs of the anthologies. And the ebook versions of those anthologies are only $5! That's an incredible deal. They're edited by Jean Rabe, which means they're good. The names on the anthologies lead me to believe they're probably at least mostly by invitation rather than submission call.

The anthology they're crowdfunding for now gets you the ebook of the anthology for just $10, and you're helping C.J. Henderson's fight against cancer.

I don't know if I'd ever have anything suitable to submit there if/when they have subs open, but I'm about to give them some of my money.
    Last edited by shelleyo; 04-07-2014 at 03:59 PM.
    "Now, come on, as you guys get older you'll realize people don't mean to be obnoxious, it's just that they're all screwed up inside." -- Joel, MST3K, Gamera

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    I have to say that some the covers are... well.
    Emily Veinglory

Quote Originally Posted by shelleyo View Post
    I'm starstruck looking at the TOCs of the anthologies. ...
    Yeah I noticed that it was a good list of authors
    A cute little bug :

Goodreads

Great list of authors--many luminaries who I've come across from the old days like Zahn and Stackpole. Christine Verstraete shares my current publisher. They're not taking on anyone right now. It's worth a wait and see, though.

tri

Good to know, thanks!
    A cute little bug :

Goodreads

Just noting they are going to have an open call for submissions from June 1st to July 1st for Athena's Daughters vol. II. Not helpful to me, as I'm not a woman (and the first requirement is that the story is written by a woman), but I thought I'd let people know.

Inappropriately math-oriented. slhuang's Avatar
    I met and became friends with the CEO of Silence in the Library Publishing at Comic Con, and I was VERY impressed. They're an extremely dedicated small press and seem like absolutely solid business people. It's very important to them to treat their authors well (and pay them well), and they care a lot about giving their all to every one of the books they publish.

They're also very passionate about diversity -- publishing characters of all genders, ethnicities and backgrounds is extremely important to them. In fact, I was thrilled to hear how strongly they felt on that point.

If they open up submissions later I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to people as a publisher to consider.

Are you gonna finish that bacon? Vince524's Avatar
    I'm currently with Silence in the Library. My first book Vision of Shadows is out through them. And they contracted me for the entire series. (5 books total) the 2nd of which comes out in February.

So far I've been very happy with them and have enjoyed working with everyone I've had contact with. There are 2 friends of mine that are also authors with them, one came out with their book before mine and one is being released soon. Both of them seem to feel the same way.

Just as an example, when it was time to come up with my cover, there was a lot of back and forth. I had a concept that I really wanted to use, and they made every effort to try and make it work. (And they really tried hard.) However, we couldn't get it quite right. The artist came up with a new design and although different, it just seemed to work really well. I made a few suggestions and it all came together. But at no time was I told that I had no input. My input was not only welcome but sought after. You can see it down below in my signature and as my avie.

I had a choice of 4 different publishers to go with, but I feel I made the right choice with SITL.