• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] McIntosh & Otis (Eugene & Elizabeth Winick)

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Adult Eugene H. Winick, Samuel L. Pinkus, Elizabeth Winick, Juvenile Chrisitna Biamonte, Tracey Adams, Film and TV Evva Joan PryorAdult and juvenile literary fiction and non-fiction, film and TV rights. No unsolicited MSS; query first with outline, sample chapters and sase. No reading fee. Founded 1928.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Founded in 1928, McIntosh & Otis is a major player (e.g. they handle(d) John Stienbeck). I’m not finding a website, but their agents’ blurbs list current interests and contact info:

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/jaythejay/
http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=688

And looks like this is their newest agent:

http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=688

“Prior to joining McIntosh & Otis, Inc. earlier this year, Rebecca Strauss worked for Sony Pictures as a book scout and development assistant. Before Sony she worked at Trident Media Group as a foreign rights assistant. She earned her degree in English Literature from Duke University. Rebecca is interested in general nonfiction, literary and commercial fiction, women's fiction, chick lit, memoirs, and pop culture material.”

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
With such overlapping interests, I'm not surprised agents pass mss. around the office. Congrats on the request for partial!

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
Yeah, I'm convinced they pass them around to get opinions. That's what takes so long to get answers back.

Anyhoo, this ms is out now at a few agents so hopefully the law of averages will dictate a positive response from one (i hope, i hope, i pray)

writermom

Avada Kedavra
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know who is handling their YA now?

writermom

Avada Kedavra
Registered
Reaction score
I know. And the agent who took their YA left. So I have no idea who to query. :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I received a very scruffy 'dear author' rejection photocopied off centre a couple of weeks ago for a query I sent to Elizabeth Winick 6 months ago. Looked like someone was cleaning out the slush pile.

CaitlinK18

"Sephiroth is my bishie!"
Registered
Reaction score
I met Elizabeth at a conference when I was a n00b, and she was really helpful and professional, even when I semi-stalked her so I could give her my pitch (this was before I signed with my ultimate agent.)

She and Rebecca both read my partial and requested a full. The agency's professionalism was never called into question, from my point of view. One off-center photocopy does not a scammer make.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The agency's professionalism was never called into question, from my point of view. One off-center photocopy does not a scammer make.

Indeed not.
However I was less impressed by their professionalism; taking over 6 months to reply to a submission is on the furthest limits of acceptable.

CaitlinK18

Registered
Reaction score
Did you check their standard response time? Etiquette dictates you may status-query an agency after 90 days, unless their response time is longer or they explicitly state otherwise. 6 months is a long time, but it's not forever in this business...usually a polite email nudge gets things moving again.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Where would I check their standard response time? They did not at that point have a website and the polite e-mail nudge bounced with a 'mailbox full' message

CaitlinK18

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes it's listed on Publisher's Marketplace or in the agency's Writer's Market listing, but sometimes it can be hard to find. Usually asking around at a place like this is a good secondary recourse.

Emails bouncing...well...I'm of the mind an agency with dedicated web and email hosting should keep their boxes clear...but, in a perfect world blah blah blah... Next time I'd try just sending again in a few days.

JAG4584

Registered
Reaction score
Response time was an issue. Over 6 months and I had forgotten I sent a query to them. The response was strange as they wanted my full w/o a proposal first for a n/f project.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Response time was an issue. Over 6 months and I had forgotten I sent a query to them. The response was strange as they wanted my full w/o a proposal first for a n/f project.

Between the delay, full mailbox, etc., it sounds like they're understaffed right now. The agents may well be the greatest, but it doesn't sound like the agency, as a business, is running smoothly at the moment.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
I found Elizabeth to be very responsive, and fast. She read my requested full within a month. She emailed me today to set a time for us to talk about my manuscript tomorrow, so I have my fingers crossed that it will be good news. I really need some right now.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I found Elizabeth to be very responsive, and fast. She read my requested full within a month. She emailed me today to set a time for us to talk about my manuscript tomorrow, so I have my fingers crossed that it will be good news. I really need some right now.

Oo! Good news for you, and it sounds like things are going better for them these days, what with the prompt response and all. Yay, happy dance.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Karen,

Please let us know the dealio, yay or nay. (Hoping for a yay! :))

~Nancy

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
Well, it happened! I'm now an agented writer! And I couldn't be happier with Elizabeth. She's smart, attentive, great sense of humor, experienced, and best of all she loves my story! And she really, really loves my main character.

I've started a thread over at Goals & Accomplishments if you'd like to stop by for cyber champaign to celebrate with me. AW is so a part of this. I love you guys!