The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Agency] McIntosh & Otis (Eugene & Elizabeth Winick)

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar

[Agency] McIntosh & Otis (Eugene & Elizabeth Winick)

Anyone know anything about McIntosh/Winick? I received a request to send in a partial today. P&E lists a $ sign after Winick's name, but nothing much about the agency in general.

Print release:Sept.1,'09 Branwyn's Avatar
    Adult Eugene H. Winick, Samuel L. Pinkus, Elizabeth Winick, Juvenile Chrisitna Biamonte, Tracey Adams, Film and TV Evva Joan PryorAdult and juvenile literary fiction and non-fiction, film and TV rights. No unsolicited MSS; query first with outline, sample chapters and sase. No reading fee. Founded 1928.
    The Hanging Tree-WIP
    Harvest Moon-WIP
    myspace.com/elladonna
    The Upside of Karma

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Founded in 1928, McIntosh & Otis is a major player (e.g. they handle(d) John Stienbeck). I’m not finding a website, but their agents’ blurbs list current interests and contact info:

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/jaythejay/
    http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=688

And looks like this is their newest agent:

http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=688

“Prior to joining McIntosh & Otis, Inc. earlier this year, Rebecca Strauss worked for Sony Pictures as a book scout and development assistant. Before Sony she worked at Trident Media Group as a foreign rights assistant. She earned her degree in English Literature from Duke University. Rebecca is interested in general nonfiction, literary and commercial fiction, women's fiction, chick lit, memoirs, and pop culture material.”
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

That's funny.

I sent the query via email to Rebecca Strauss,having gotten the info from AgentQuery, but the email requesting the partial came from Elizabeth Winick.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    With such overlapping interests, I'm not surprised agents pass mss. around the office. Congrats on the request for partial!
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Yeah, I'm convinced they pass them around to get opinions. That's what takes so long to get answers back.

Anyhoo, this ms is out now at a few agents so hopefully the law of averages will dictate a positive response from one (i hope, i hope, i pray)

Does anyone know who is handling their YA now?

New website?

Looks like they are in the process of redesiging their website:

http://www.mcintoshandotis.net/
    Toni
    Repped by Josh Getzler, HSG Literary
    Hey! My cat has his own blog! (Yes, Rocco blogs!) http://www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
    Out now: CLAWS FOR ALARM, the second Nick and Nora mystery
    coming December 2016: OF CRIME AND CATNIP

I know. And the agent who took their YA left. So I have no idea who to query.

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    I received a very scruffy 'dear author' rejection photocopied off centre a couple of weeks ago for a query I sent to Elizabeth Winick 6 months ago. Looked like someone was cleaning out the slush pile.

When I dealt with Ms. Winick on my diva ms last year, I believe i sent her everything via e-mail. Of course, it was ultimately rejected anyway.
    Toni
    Hey! My cat has his own blog! (Yes, Rocco blogs!) http://www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com

"Sephiroth is my bishie!" CaitlinK18's Avatar
    I met Elizabeth at a conference when I was a n00b, and she was really helpful and professional, even when I semi-stalked her so I could give her my pitch (this was before I signed with my ultimate agent.)

She and Rebecca both read my partial and requested a full. The agency's professionalism was never called into question, from my point of view. One off-center photocopy does not a scammer make.
    I write books. I like pie.

www.caitlinkittredge.com

Quote Originally Posted by CaitlinK18 View Post
    The agency's professionalism was never called into question, from my point of view. One off-center photocopy does not a scammer make.
    Indeed not.
    However I was less impressed by their professionalism; taking over 6 months to reply to a submission is on the furthest limits of acceptable.

Did you check their standard response time? Etiquette dictates you may status-query an agency after 90 days, unless their response time is longer or they explicitly state otherwise. 6 months is a long time, but it's not forever in this business...usually a polite email nudge gets things moving again.

www.caitlinkittredge.com

Where would I check their standard response time? They did not at that point have a website and the polite e-mail nudge bounced with a 'mailbox full' message

Sometimes it's listed on Publisher's Marketplace or in the agency's Writer's Market listing, but sometimes it can be hard to find. Usually asking around at a place like this is a good secondary recourse.

Emails bouncing...well...I'm of the mind an agency with dedicated web and email hosting should keep their boxes clear...but, in a perfect world blah blah blah... Next time I'd try just sending again in a few days.

www.caitlinkittredge.com

practical experience, FTW
    Response time was an issue. Over 6 months and I had forgotten I sent a query to them. The response was strange as they wanted my full w/o a proposal first for a n/f project.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG4584 View Post
    Response time was an issue. Over 6 months and I had forgotten I sent a query to them. The response was strange as they wanted my full w/o a proposal first for a n/f project.
    Between the delay, full mailbox, etc., it sounds like they're understaffed right now. The agents may well be the greatest, but it doesn't sound like the agency, as a business, is running smoothly at the moment.

Chalice the Hatchet Knight Karen Duvall's Avatar
    I found Elizabeth to be very responsive, and fast. She read my requested full within a month. She emailed me today to set a time for us to talk about my manuscript tomorrow, so I have my fingers crossed that it will be good news. I really need some right now.
    Karen Duvall
    Blog
    Website
    Twitter
    Facebook

KNIGHT'S CURSE -- A Publisher's Weekly Top 10 Pick for Fall 2011 (Harlequin Luna)
    DARKEST KNIGHT -- Sequel to KNIGHT'S CURSE released March 2012 (Harlequin Luna)
    SUN STORM -- Novella in Harlequin's TIL THE WORLD ENDS Anthology

Good for you, Karen! You know, that does sound promising. Good luck with it.

Tri

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Duvall View Post
    I found Elizabeth to be very responsive, and fast. She read my requested full within a month. She emailed me today to set a time for us to talk about my manuscript tomorrow, so I have my fingers crossed that it will be good news. I really need some right now.
    Oo! Good news for you, and it sounds like things are going better for them these days, what with the prompt response and all. Yay, happy dance.

She emailed me today to set a time for us to talk about my manuscript tomorrow
    YES!!! My fingers are crossed too. Sounds like good news, Karen

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    Karen,

Please let us know the dealio, yay or nay. (Hoping for a yay! )

~Nancy
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

Yes, good luck Karen, that sounds really good.
    Toni

Chalice the Hatchet Knight Karen Duvall's Avatar
    Well, it happened! I'm now an agented writer! And I couldn't be happier with Elizabeth. She's smart, attentive, great sense of humor, experienced, and best of all she loves my story! And she really, really loves my main character.

I've started a thread over at Goals & Accomplishments if you'd like to stop by for cyber champaign to celebrate with me. AW is so a part of this. I love you guys!
    Karen Duvall
    Blog
    Website
    Twitter
    Facebook

KNIGHT'S CURSE -- A Publisher's Weekly Top 10 Pick for Fall 2011 (Harlequin Luna)
    DARKEST KNIGHT -- Sequel to KNIGHT'S CURSE released March 2012 (Harlequin Luna)
    SUN STORM -- Novella in Harlequin's TIL THE WORLD ENDS Anthology

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast