Gay Characters in MG

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
This came up once before. Do you know how to use the forum search tools?

The general conclusion of that discussion was that it's a marketable book, but it's a very niche market.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how well it fits with MG expectations, especially if it's lower MG. MG tends to focus less on relationships than YA.

I wouldn't think anything of a character being gay, though. During middle school, kids often find out what sexual preference they have. From what I remember, though, it wasn't really until high school that people became known as gay. At least at my school.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Jacky Wilson's book 'Kiss' is one of (AFAIK) several of her (100!) MG books featuring gay characters.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Ryan is right. There are probably a few out there, which is totally awesome, but 8-12 year olds aren't particularly at the sexual relationship age. Their minds are typically somewhere else until puberty strikes.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
As mentioned, BETTER NATE THAN EVER and its follow up FIVE, SIX, SEVEN, NATE feature a probably-gay-but-still-figuring-things-out main character. But if you meant all characters, not just main characters, there are also side-character adults in MG books who are gay. There's a kid with two moms in Laurel Snyder's PENNY DREADFUL. I'm reading a really recent debut called WHEN AUDREY MET ALICE, and the main character has an uncle with a partner. I'm sure there are more. Yes, it's allowed. :)

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Of course it's "allowed." MG literature, like all literature, reflects the world we live in. The character's sexual orientation doesn't have to be the focus of the book. Adding to the other suggestions, I recommend See You At Harry's by Jo Knowles.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Marco Impossible by Hannah Moskowitz

Unfortunately, it often gets shelved in YA at B&N

Prodigy

Mr. Incredible
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infernorising.com
Thanks for the titles :) I am going to give them a go and check out.

i've never read a gay MG book so i am curious to how it compares to Gay YA since it is targeted towards younger kids.