• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Contemporary fiction writer looking for beta buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

freelancemomma

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to do a beta swap with another contemporary fiction writer. My book is based on a 3-day online reunion, so it reads mostly like a screenplay. The main storyline revolves around a student-teacher sexual encounter that resulted in a child. Fifteen years later, the reunion gives the student the opportunity to confront her former teacher. Lots of subplots as well.

A bit of background: I've been a successful freelance writer for 20 years and have two published books (both literary nonfiction). I'm based in Toronto.

Cheers,

Freelance

EarlyBird

Grinding it out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twentyfoursevenlife.com
I'm interested. Do you want/need this immediately? The reason I ask is because I'm currently finishing up the nth revision of my manuscript. I'd like to wrap that up before I send it out for beta-ing.

freelancemomma

Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested. Do you want/need this immediately? The reason I ask is because I'm currently finishing up the nth revision of my manuscript. I'd like to wrap that up before I send it out for beta-ing.

I'm hoping for sooner rather than later, but I can wait. (I'm also tinkering with my MS.) When do you expect to be finished revision n?:)

Freelanec

EarlyBird

Grinding it out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I was supposed to finish this week, but [fill in paltry excuse here].

Soon. Very soon.

I can begin reading yours in the meantime. I'm between books right now anyway.

freelancemomma

Registered
Reaction score
Well, if you're talking about a couple of weeks, I have no problem waiting. I assumed you meant months. Can you tell me a little about yourself and your book?

Cheers, F.

Hiyaguha

Registered
Reaction score
Might be interested

Hi,

I might want to swap. I've got an 80,000-word literary novel about a woman's journey into and out of an Eastern cult in the early 1970's. Not quite contemporary, but close. My previous books have all been nonfiction (self-help, how-to, with major publishers). I have one published short story. I'm finding fiction to be much more of a challenge and really need feedback. Your plot sounds interesting.

EarlyBird

Grinding it out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi, Freelance.

My novel is about a white, single woman whose best friend dies and finds out she's been named guardian for the woman's African American baby. Faced with indecision and bigotry, she struggles to uphold her best friend's wishes to raise the child. Through the pages of her online column, she strikes back against prejudice, quickly becoming aware she's been ignorant to the veiled racism that flows through the veins of society. In the meantime, her love life takes an unexpected turn, her job is in jeopardy, and sibling rivalry threatens the peace within her family. Things quickly heat up when she's dragged into court and she has to fight to keep the baby. A family secret gets revealed and just when it seems things will work out, an act of violence puts her at risk of losing everything that matters most to her.

I'm currently revising this manuscript based on feedback from an agent who has invited me to resubmit when finished. I used to be in marketing and have written a plethora of technical and advertising materials and have had an article published.

If this works for you, let me know. I'll be finished with the revision tout suite, but as I mentioned, I could begin reading your work immediately.

Last edited:

freelancemomma

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Higa,

I (original poster) would also like to do a swap with you, if you're up for it. Let me know!

Cheers, Freelance

Status
Not open for further replies.