Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club (Volume V)

Procrastinator Extraordinaire Lillian_Blaire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrealana View Post
    It's the setting on your TV for Spanish dubbing.

Haven't you ever been in a hotel room with an unfamiliar remote and gotten your TV stuck in Spanish?

Just me then...
    No, but I would just leave it, as I understand Spanish pretty well. *shrugs*

- - - Updated - - -

Now, French? We'd have a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymz Connelly View Post
    I don't know that anyone could fill Lil's stilettos in her absence. She's very special and unique.
    Lil is just full of of sweetness and love, with a side of raunchy innuendo. That never hurt anyone! - Jaymz
    Tell that to the guy(s) manacled in her basement... - be frank

My TV never switches to French or German, either of which would be fine.

No, only Spanish, which is like listening to French spoken by a drunk person with marbles in their mouth. Every once in a while, a word makes sense, but it's mostly gobbledygook.
    -- Myrea
    "When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won. Donít let the page win."
    Alasdair Stewart

I've started seeking an agent for my novel. It still needs some work before I'm really, truly happy with it, but the bones aren't going to change, and the first several chapters are solid, so a-querying I go.

Many agents are asking for my Twitter handle in the submission process.

Some of these agents are NOT going to like my Twitter history. Since November I've gotten a little... political in my Tweeting.

Some of my sentiments have been... let's just say my auto-correct thinks I love ducks just a little TOO much.

*cringe*
    -- Myrea
    "When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won. Donít let the page win."
    Alasdair Stewart

Lefties are always right. Southpaw's Avatar
    It might be okay Myrealana, I noticed lots of the agents on Twitter are pretty politcal too.

Oh, and yeah on starting to query!

- - - Updated - - -

How's the day going for everyone so far?
    I write urban fantasy. I refused to believe it's an oversaturated market. (For the record, that's a werehermitcrab.)
    ▪▪ Website ▪▪ Twitter ▪▪ Instagram ▪▪

not lurking so much anymore Jaymz Connelly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian_Blaire View Post
    I hate that, BF!!

Your lullaby STINKS!

- - - Updated - - -

Damn kookaburra!

Why is it, if people are up at 6am on a Saturday morning, they figure everyone in the whole ducking neighbourhood is too?

There were a dozen guys standing in the driveway to our complex, which is right in front of our house, sorting themselves into two cars to go off to work. It took them 20 ducking minutes!

And for the record, they weren't from our complex)

Thanks, appleholes, I wanted to get up at 6am. (no, I didn't, I went back to bed and dozed for a while)

Why is it, if people are up at 6am on a Saturday morning, they figure everyone in the whole ducking neighbourhood is too?

Thanks, appleholes

Ugh, that sucks though, Jay. People are so thoughtless sometimes.

Yay, Myrea, for starting to query!
    The early bird may catch the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

here be all the query exercises

Yeah, people can be extremely inconsiderate of those around them.

How are you, BF?

Speaking of inconsiderate, there's a house being built a little way up our street, and every morning for the last two weeks when I try to go to work, I've put up the garage door and found my driveway blocked. Brick trucks. Timber trucks. Plumbers vans. God, it makes me mad. I time my morning routine to eke out every possibly second of sleep ... and now I have to spend minutes I don't have running up the street to find whichever idiot builder is responsible and get them to move their damn trucks.

Sorry -- being ranty. But it's been pissing me off. (FTR, their response every time has been, "Oh, do you need to get out?" Yes, idiot, it's 8.20a.m. on a week day!! I have to go to work!!)

Otherwise, I'm good. Not working today, and the sun's out. Planning to try some words, but I'm considering reading a book instead. It's been too long since I last read a book -- I've been slack this year.
    Last edited by be frank; 04-22-2017 at 07:12 AM. Reason: b/c editor-me can't stand using the wrong word, even when it's a casual post. #has_issues
    The early bird may catch the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Oh man! I'd be ropeable if that happened here!

Whether you need to get out or not, they shouldn't be parking across a driveway!

Yay or not working and having sunshine!

I did a bit of yard work this morning... considering words this afternoon. But I might knit instead. I only have one sleeve left to do on the cardigan I'm making.

So close to the end!

Or you could leave it with only one sleeve, and start and new fashion trend.

Quote Originally Posted by be frank View Post
    So close to the end!

Or you could leave it with only one sleeve, and start and new fashion trend.
    That one arm would get rather chilly in the winter though!

Geez, I really shouldn't write today. I had to fix eight typos in that one little sentence!

Geez, I really shouldn't write today. I had to fix eight typos in that one little sentence!
    Heh, that's never a good sign. Though IME, I make more typos etc here than I would if I were working on the WIP. Less concentration/focus here.

Eight is an impressive effort though!

Yea, that many mistakes in one sentence is usually a pretty good indication that writing might be an exercise in frustration.

And it wasn't even a long sentence!

I think what I'll end up doing is knitting a bit, and then see if I can't get my MC into the mage cuffs (they will make him have to go along with the Master of Spies to see the King).

Oh, and harking back to the convo that went on in the middle of the night - I HAVE actually seen True Lies, and enjoyed it. It was ages ago though.

Oh, and harking back to the convo that went on in the middle of the night - I HAVE actually seen True Lies, and enjoyed it. It was ages ago though.
    Well, it was on Ten last night, so there's a good chance it'll pop up on Eleven (for the forty-thousandth time!) over the next week or so.

Right, I'm going to go do ... something. Either reading or writing ... or more likely, eating lunch then watching the footy.

I think if I wanted to watch it again, I'd see if it was on Amazon Prime - Mr C has that so he can watch the new Jeremy Clarkson thing The Grand Tour. I can't bear sitting through a million commercials.

Have a great afternoon, whatever you end up doing!

Quote Originally Posted by Myrealana View Post
    I've started seeking an agent for my novel. It still needs some work before I'm really, truly happy with it, but the bones aren't going to change, and the first several chapters are solid, so a-querying I go.

Many agents are asking for my Twitter handle in the submission process.

Some of these agents are NOT going to like my Twitter history. Since November I've gotten a little... political in my Tweeting.

Some of my sentiments have been... let's just say my auto-correct thinks I love ducks just a little TOO much.

*cringe*
    Is it just me, or is it a little weird to ask for your Twitter name when you're querying? Do they demand your Facebook identity as well? If it's anonymous, you could just deny having one, and set another 'clean' one up if they want evidence of your dedication to self-promotion (because I can't think of any other reason they'd want it).
    Alex | Website | Twitter

And for that matter, what if you don't even use Twitter?
    Alex | Website | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Albedo View Post
    Is it just me, or is it a little weird to ask for your Twitter name when you're querying? Do they demand your Facebook identity as well? If it's anonymous, you could just deny having one, and set another 'clean' one up if they want evidence of your dedication to self-promotion (because I can't think of any other reason they'd want it).
    Quote Originally Posted by Albedo View Post
    And for that matter, what if you don't even use Twitter?
    Yeah, both of those things occurred to me as well.

Also, was this a specific request from a specific agent, or was it part of an agency's submission guidelines? (As in, were they asking for your Twitter handle, or everyone's Twitter handle? And how many is 'many'? What number of agents/agencies are we talking here?)
    Last edited by be frank; 04-22-2017 at 07:54 AM.

I would be in real strife if I weren't just writing for fun. I don't have a twitter or a facebook or anything else like that and I am abysmal at self-promotion.

I do wonder, though, why they want it when you're just querying.

Jay, I didn't mean you! I looooove you! You know that!

- - - Updated - - -

Good morning, Aussie mates!
    I don't know that anyone could fill Lil's stilettos in her absence. She's very special and unique.
    Lil is just full of of sweetness and love, with a side of raunchy innuendo. That never hurt anyone! - Jaymz

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian_Blaire View Post
    Jay, I didn't mean you! I looooove you! You know that!

- - - Updated - - -

Good morning, Aussie mates!
    I did, I was just pulling your leg.

And good morning to you, Lil!

Hello!!! Fancy seeing you here this time of day! How's life?

You're up early!

Life's just plodding along. How about you? How's the tummy?

I'm always up at this hour--just usually chauffeuring kids to school so not on AW.

My stomach is a huge fucking mess. To put it mildly. I attended a banquet last night, food was very good and I stuck with foods allowed on my "diet". And my stomach is STILL really mad at me. My tongue feels like it's been nicked with tiny razors. Ugh.

Page 925 of 1011 FirstFirst ... 1754256758258508759009159199209219229239249259269279289299309319359509751000 ... LastLast