Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club (Volume V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Takeaway burgers sound like a great option. It's cold here too today (damn Antarctic winds). And it's just started raining heavily to boot. I'd be quite happy to stay in tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

Just as well you didn't remember AFTER you were meant to be there!

Ha. Very true. :D

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. Rain and cold weather sucks so bad.

Hope the dinner is worth going out in the miserable weather for!

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Well, the company's good and this restaurant is reliably great (it's exactly halfway between our houses, so it's our regular meet-up spot). So it should be worth the effort. I'll definitely be rugging up though!

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Does sound like it would be worth the effort. Yeah, you'd be nuts not to rug up going out in that mess. I hope you have a lovely dinner with your friend.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Thanks, Jay. I'm going to have a scalding-hot shower now to try imbue myself with some heat before heading out.

Enjoy your burgers! (Actually, I assume they've already been consumed. Hope they were delish. :D)

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
They had already been consumed. :D Was... all right. I'm not big on much takeaway, but when the 'chief cook and bottle washer' doesn't feel like cooking... needs must. :)

A really hot shower sounds like a good idea.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Morning, y'all.

Y'all ever lost sleep after seeing a movie so bad, it made you angry? Cause that was me with the new Alien movie. Holy crap. It's so terrible. It's Alien's Star Wars Prequels with a serious case of George Lucas syndrome. Don't fucking tell me where the xenomorphs came from and try to make it dramatic and shocking! I don't CARE where the xenomorphs came from! Midichlorian bullshit all over again, cause it's just as terrible an explanation. They've taken a time-honored franchise, made a cookie-cutter slasher flick and are trying to call it high art. I was even calling lines before they finished saying them, it was so predictable! Also has the flattest characters I have ever seen to the point where a guy who dies when the movie starts has more established personality than the entire rest of the crew. I left the theater knowing the names of 4 characters out of 15, because literally 70% of them are just generic slasher fodder you couldn't pick out of a lineup. I woke up at 5ish and just could not stop fuming over how terrible it is. Ugh, god, it's SO BAD and it makes me SO MAD. I have no patience for stupid today.

*sleepy slump*

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
:tongue I'm too tired to deal with sass, too. Seriously, though, I don't know how this has the high ratings it does. When I can tell you exactly what's going to happen twist-wise within the first 10 minutes, and it happens, then the script-writers have failed at their job.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I'm too tired to deal with sass, too.

Humblest apologies, my dear.

*cancels today's scheduled sass*

That does suck about the film. The only film I've ever hated that much was Mars Attacks (it's the only movie I've ever walked out of). But it's gotta be extra bad when it's something you've been looking forward to.

I'm kinda embarrassed to admit I've never sat through any of the Alien movies from beginning to end. James Bond either, for that matter.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have the worst idol-crush on Sigourney Weaver, so Alien and Aliens are like two of my favorite sci-fi movies (and Galaxy Quest). Part of the issue I had is that the previews made it look like a standalone Alien movie going back to the tradition of them. Instead, surprise, it's a sequel to Prometheus, which my husband disliked and I never bothered to see. If we hadn't been with friends, we probably would have left and gotten a refund.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, y'all.

Y'all ever lost sleep after seeing a movie so bad, it made you angry? Cause that was me with the new Alien movie. Holy crap. It's so terrible. It's Alien's Star Wars Prequels with a serious case of George Lucas syndrome. Don't fucking tell me where the xenomorphs came from and try to make it dramatic and shocking! I don't CARE where the xenomorphs came from! Midichlorian bullshit all over again, cause it's just as terrible an explanation. They've taken a time-honored franchise, made a cookie-cutter slasher flick and are trying to call it high art. I was even calling lines before they finished saying them, it was so predictable! Also has the flattest characters I have ever seen to the point where a guy who dies when the movie starts has more established personality than the entire rest of the crew. I left the theater knowing the names of 4 characters out of 15, because literally 70% of them are just generic slasher fodder you couldn't pick out of a lineup. I woke up at 5ish and just could not stop fuming over how terrible it is. Ugh, god, it's SO BAD and it makes me SO MAD. I have no patience for stupid today.

*sleepy slump*
I'm wib ya, Maggie. I'm a big Alien fan, but damn we need some more good movies in this franchise. This wasn't it. This was Prometheus-lite. This was the Episode II of Alien movies, except the bad lines were all about mud instead of sand. If the first movie was Blue Collar Workers in Space, and the second was US Marines in Space, why oh why have all the subsequent movies been Equal Opportunity for Idiots in Space? Why would you send most of your irreplaceable crew out on the first scouting mission, when you haven't even scanned for alien pathogens? Why do they always land ten bloody kilometres away from the mysterious signal? Why in God's name did she trust really truly I promise I'm not-David at the end? Why (and this is the most aggravating part by far to me) did they make the alien space jockeys from the first movie into giant evil blue men with big noses? Who approved these aesthetic decisions.

I'm worried now what sort of George Lucasian hash Ridley Scott's gunna make of the Blade Runner sequel.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Why would you send most of your irreplaceable crew out on the first scouting mission, when you haven't even scanned for alien pathogens?

Did you guys ever watch the show?

*obligatory GQ quote*

eta: Ooh. Aussie sport update. Thanasi Kokkinakis takes the first set against Kei Nishikori (8) at the French Open, his first tournament in a couple of years. The kid's more talented than Kyrgios, and a far better person. Pity he's had so many injuries.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'm kinda embarrassed to admit I've never sat through any of the Alien movies from beginning to end. James Bond either, for that matter.

Now that's just not on. Hie thee to your media source of choice and at least watch the first two movies (which are both legitimate classics, and interesting for the way they complement each other while being completely different in tone and style). If you like the first two a lot the third is worth watching, but I'd stop after there. Nothing else good has happened in this franchise universe.

And you've really never seen a Bond movie? That's legitimately impressive. We'll have to sit down and make a list of ones to watch for you.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I've seen enough bits of Bond to get the gist. One of the guys I work with is a Bond obsessive (we even call him Mr. Bond). He literally doesn't watch any movies but Bond. I figure between us, we're covered.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen enough bits of Bond to get the gist. One of the guys I work with is a Bond obsessive (we even call him Mr. Bond). He literally doesn't watch any movies but Bond. I figure between us, we're covered.

Eehhh... that's a bit like the guy in that Supersize Me movie who ate only Big Macs. He could broaden his cinematic diet a little bit, surely? I mean, even just to other superspy movies?

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
You'd think so, but he's a stubborn fellow. He also only reads Clive Cussler books. As you do.

We once made him a list of classic films he had to watch to exist in the world (like Back to the Future and Star Wars or even the Bourne Identity [for the action spy thing]). But ... nope. It's just Bond. James Bond.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Each to their own, I spose!

At least he's got a wide choice of movies to watch. If I was limited to only one franchise for the rest of my life, I don't know what I'd pick. I'd say Jurassic Park, but there's really only one objectively good movie in that series. Two in the Alien series. Mad Max, maybe?

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Albedo, rant ho to your PMs. XD Didn't want to make a post full of spoilers. I also agree with the Blade Runner sequel. Before this movie, I'd been curious. Now, I'm giving it a pass. I'll go see Valerian instead. Gimme that gorgeous 5th Element style.

I think I've seen one full Bond movie, BF, so no shame there. I can highly recommend Aliens at the very least, though, since I know you like GQ. It's got good humor where they fit it and great tension. It's a solid action movie and Sigourney is queen of badassery.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
At least he's got a wide choice of movies to watch.

True. He has a lot of films to choose from.

And speaking of Bond, did you see this delightful article from a guy named Marc Haynes about Roger Moore after he died? (I should just post one of the many links, but it's a great story.)

“As a seven-year-old in about 1983, in the days before First Class Lounges at airports, I was with my grandad in Nice Airport and saw Roger Moore sitting at the departure gate, reading a paper,” Haynes wrote.

“I told my grandad I’d just seen James Bond and asked if we could go over so I could get his autograph. My grandad had no idea who James Bond or Roger Moore were, so we walked over and he popped me in front of Roger Moore, with the words, ‘my grandson says you’re famous. Can you sign this?’

“As charming as you’d expect, Roger asks my name and duly signs the back of my plane ticket, a fulsome note full of best wishes. I’m ecstatic, but as we head back to our seats, I glance down at the signature. It’s hard to decipher it but it definitely doesn’t say ‘James Bond’.

My grandad looks at it, half figures out it says ‘Roger Moore’ — I have absolutely no idea who that is, and my hearts sinks. I tell my grandad he’s signed it wrong, that he’s put someone else’s name — so my grandad heads back to Roger Moore, holding the ticket which he’s only just signed.

“I remember staying by our seats and my grandad saying, ‘he says you’ve signed the wrong name. He says your name is James Bond.’

Roger Moore’s face crinkled up with realisation and he beckoned me over. When I was by his knee, he leant over, looked from side to side, raised an eyebrow and in a hushed voice said to me, ‘I have to sign my name as ‘Roger Moore’ because otherwise ... Blofeld might find out I was here,’ He asked me not to tell anyone that I’d just seen James Bond, and he thanked me for keeping his secret.

“I went back to our seats, my nerves absolutely jangling with delight. My grandad asked me if he’d signed ‘James Bond.’ No, I said. I’d got it wrong. I was working with James Bond now.”

Haynes had another encounter with Roger Moore many years later when he found himself working on a UNICEF recording that featured the famous actor.

“He was completely lovely and while the cameramen were setting up, I told him in passing the story of when I met him in Nice Airport,” Haynes wrote on Facebook.

“He was happy to hear it, and he had a chuckle and said, ‘Well, I don’t remember but I’m glad you got to meet James Bond.’ So that was lovely.

“And then he did something so brilliant. After the filming, he walked past me in the corridor, heading out to his car — but as he got level, he paused, looked both ways, raised an eyebrow and in a hushed voice said, ‘Of course I remember our meeting in Nice. But I didn’t say anything in there, because those cameramen — any one of them could be working for Blofeld’.”

Haynes ended his post by calling Moore as “a tremendous man”.

Seems like he was a great guy. :)

If I was limited to only one franchise for the rest of my life, I don't know what I'd pick.

Oooh ... good game. I'm going to need to think about this. (Ack -- full disclosure. I don't think I've ever seen a Mad Max movie. Huh.)

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Albedo, rant ho to your PMs. XD Didn't want to make a post full of spoilers. I also agree with the Blade Runner sequel. Before this movie, I'd been curious. Now, I'm giving it a pass. I'll go see Valerian instead. Gimme that gorgeous 5th Element style.

I think I've seen one full Bond movie, BF, so no shame there. I can highly recommend Aliens at the very least, though, since I know you like GQ. It's got good humor where they fit it and great tension. It's a solid action movie and Sigourney is queen of badassery.
Saw that. Yeah, I agree with everything you said. So many annoying choices in the film. Biggest disappointment of the year, so far. I hope one day they give another Alien movie to James Cameron, whose directorial output over the last thirty years has been, while sparser than Scott's, more reliable in quality, IMO.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
If I was limited to only one franchise for the rest of my life, I don't know what I'd pick. I'd say Jurassic Park, but there's really only one objectively good movie in that series. Two in the Alien series. Mad Max, maybe?

I'd be torn between Star Wars and Star Trek. Both have hits and misses, both have their share of attractive men, but Wars has Carrie Fisher, but Trek has Patrick Stewart and George Takei and LeVar Burton... Gah! Such a hard choice!

And amen, give it back to Cameron. Scott doesn't deserve it anymore.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh ... good game. I'm going to need to think about this. (Ack -- full disclosure. I don't think I've ever seen a Mad Max movie. Huh.)
!!!

BF, BF, BF. What will we do with you?

(See Mad Max: Fury Road at least. It's the pinnacle of human art.)

And Roger Moore. What a gentleman.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Hmm. Thinking on it, most movie franchises/series have a couple of gems, but otherwise are duds. (Think Terminator).

I think I'll go with Toy Story. All three are winners. :)

!!!

BF, BF, BF. What will we do with you?

(See Mad Max: Fury Road at least. It's the pinnacle of human art.)

I know! I only just realized this. I may have watched the Mad Max with Tina Turner as a wee alien zebra, but I don't remember the details enough to count.

And I actually own Fury Road, I just haven't found the time to watch it yet. I'll get there! (And it's not an intentional snub -- I simply don't watch many films these days.)

Status
Not open for further replies.