Royalty for a Week, and Shameless The Rest of The Time (Volume IV)

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
What holiday (doesn't have to be Christmas if you celebrate something else this time of year) traditions do you honor? Is there something special you do that you'd be willing to share with me? I'd love to adopt some new and different elements into my non-religious-specific holiday celebration. Something that doesn't cost much, if possible. Something that can involve my kids. Perhaps it isn't one you yourself participate in, but that you've heard about or witnessed and thought was fun. I'd sure love some ideas, dear royals. What ideas can you offer your queen?

I no longer celebrate Christmas as such. But some years, I make it a point to put up a tree exactly 12 days before Christmas, and make myself a slightly alcoholic Christmas cake (that gets shared with a few colleagues / friends who do Christmas) (may have pics when it's done this year). Otherwise, it's airmail presents for the little ones.

Before Christmas, there's the Winter Solstice: dumplings. Homemade or store bought. But that'd be a Southern China tradition; Northern / Eastern / Western / Central China traditions differ.

Generally, though, I do more "celebrating" during the Chinese New Year.

Welcheren

Picking up tools, honing edges
Registered
Reaction score
Is there something special you do that you'd be willing to share with me?

Good day Illustrious Queen

My two pennies:

Every other Christman we watch Tim Burton's The Nightmare before Christmas and every other year, we watch Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather. A core group of my friends are all crazy Terry Pratchett fans and many are mild to crazy Tim Burton fans.

How is the rest of court today? Enjoying your cold weather (except for Prince Beanie)?
We finally had some rain to alleviate the drought down here, but today the sun is out and baking us again.

Last edited:

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, dearest Royals.

Another week has started and I still wear the crown. I have sought to pass it to someone new, without success. My hope is that this week I will find someone willing to follow in my 5” stilettos...I mean, footsteps. Please forgive me for this extended reign. I promise I haven’t turned this is to a dictatorship. I do so love hanging out in the castle with you all. I hope this is not grounds to have me sent to the dungeons permanently (though a few days here and there are exactly what this queen needs).

Thank you for sharing your holiday traditions. I love the idea of a “slightly alcoholic” cake and my kids actually really love Nightmare Before Christmas. I may have to incorporate both into my year-end celebration, though not at the same time, probably. Drunk children are generally frowned upon in my neck of the woods. :roll:

What wonderful things do you have planned for this week?

Sending wishes of health and happiness your way, my friends. Have a beautiful Monday (or whatever day it is in your world).

*sprinkles sunshine and good fortune everywhere*

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Your Majesty.

Good Monday, dear Royals.

My plans today involve taking my truck in half an hour to the mechanics and dropping $650 on a new heater core. I don't know how long that will take get repaired, but at least it will be repaired at some point. It won't fix all the truck's issues, but at least I will be warm while I figure out the rest.

Welcheren

Registered
Reaction score
Dear Queen we are all very happy to see you wear the crown and extend your rule. :Hail: Reign on!

Tomorrow I get to see an old friend who's been away in Belgium doing her PhD. Haven't seen her in almost a year, and tomorrow I get to meet her new boyfriend from said nation. Should be fun.

Dear Grand Duchess
Good luck with your mecahnical challenges. That sounds like quite an expense, although I'm not sure how far a dollar goes over there.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Royals!

I have to stop in at work today to collect a paper I need in order to receive unemployment. My credit card took quite a hit while I was in Vegas. It'd be nice to get some income again.

Then my friend and I are attempting to see the lights festival again. I think we should have better success tonight. We're also going to leave a bit earlier just in case.

Welcheren

Registered
Reaction score
'Tis winter break, so I am back for a little while.

:hi:

Nice to have you back. Have some coffee with us.

coffeeS006G8_wwwAlamycom_Heart-shaped-coffee-art-on-a-latte_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqEDjTm7JpzhSGR1_8ApEWQA1vLvhkMtVb21dMmpQBfEs.jpg

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tomorrow I get to see an old friend who's been away in Belgium doing her PhD. Haven't seen her in almost a year, and tomorrow I get to meet her new boyfriend from said nation. Should be fun.
It's great to catch up with old friends. Have a good time. :)

Dear Grand Duchess
Good luck with your mecahnical challenges. That sounds like quite an expense, although I'm not sure how far a dollar goes over there.
Not nearly far enough. :( I saved several months to be able to afford this repair. I had to have a heater core to be able to drive the truck during these frigid winter months. But there was some other part that was also broken, and it cost me another $100. Now I don't know if I'll be able to afford to buy the small amount of Christmas presents I was going to buy for the family here. I'm totally bummed.
:e2bummed:

:hi:

Greetings, Royals.

'Tis winter break, so I am back for a little while. :)

Lady V - Good luck with the lights! X-mas lights are my favorite part about the holidays.

Welcome home. :Hug2:

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
I’m so sorry for your struggles, Grand Duchess. What I would do to have the power to alleviate the struggles in the lives of those around me. I really wish I could help.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Lights were seen this evening and it was quite nice.

I wish I had tons of money to help people too.

Welcheren

Registered
Reaction score
Now I don't know if I'll be able to afford to buy the small amount of Christmas presents I was going to buy for the family here. I'm totally bummed.
:e2bummed:

:Hug2:

I'd be playing the lottery for the same purpose as Prince Ted as well if the currency in our country was not so weak.

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Thanks, everyone. You know it's a small thing, right? All this financial stuff. As long as a person has a place to live, food to eat, and needed medicines, then they are really well-off. There are a lot of people in the world who do not have that. On top of having all that, I have good friends, a couple family members that I adore, a loving dog, and the Internet. I am wealthy by all comparisons. :)

Good morning, Your Majesty.

Good whatever-day-this-is, dear Royals. :)greenie)

I hope each of you have the loveliest, best day you can.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Prince Welcheren, are you gracing us with a picture of your royal self? I do so enjoy putting faces with names.

Good morning, dearest royals. I hope this day is a good one for you.

I appreciate your wise words, Grand Duchess. I think, for me, it's easy to get a little down this time of year. I appreciate the reminder of just how well off I am.

I have a minor issue that is plaguing me. I have been working since early September to crochet an afghan for my parents. I am nearing completion and am unhappy with the results. Despite my extensive knowledge of the craft, I cannot fix the mistakes without unraveling several months worth of work. There would be no way to redo it all before Christmas. But sending the afghan as is makes me...disappointed in myself. I would rather not pass on the item, but that leaves me with hours of work that amount to nothing, and nothing to send my parents for Christmas. I'm not sure what to do.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon, Royals!

It finally looks like winter here. We're having off-and-on snow showers today and there's probably about a half inch on the ground.

Welcheren

Registered
Reaction score
Prince Welcheren, are you gracing us with a picture of your royal self? I do so enjoy putting faces with names.

I have a minor issue that is plaguing me.

:eek: *blushes sheepishly*

Wow, that is a conundrum, Great Queen. I cannot think of anything now, but I'll strain my brain and see what comes out.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Prince Welcheren, I do believe you’re making the fair maidens of the court swoon.

I don’t have the guts to use my face as an avie, so I admire those of you that do. I do admit, however, that my profile pic is a recent photo of the real-life me. No crown, sadly.

I have come to a conclusion regarding my predicament. I’ve decided to purchase more yarn and start again on a new, improved project for my parents. They won’t receive it by Christmas, but I don’t think they’ll be much concerned with the timing of it. If they get it in January, I assume they will be just as pleased.