The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Royalty for a Week, and Shameless The Rest of The Time (Volume IV)

Lost between the pages TwistedTyping's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealand5 View Post
    All hail our new monarch, Queen TwistedTyping!!

I hope all you royals are doing well. I'm still dying from flu with no hope of a voice, but we battle on!
    Goodness @Zealand5 I hope you feel better soon, maybe some nice tea with honey to soothe your aching throat?
    *Pours cup*

Good Morning Royals!!

I hope you are well rested after having soothing and happy dreams

Now, time to write.....maybe.....after I check on a few websites....maybe do research.....

practical experience, FTW Ambrosia's Avatar
    Queen TwistedTyping,

What is it you write?
    "The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."
    Michelangelo

"You don't need thick skin, you just need perseverance." leifwright

New blog post 1/22/17 blog

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
    Queen TwistedTyping,

What is it you write?
    It's Urban Fantasy - two men who hop through dimensions while they learn how one friend, Max, isn't human.
    (a better blurb will be written - trust me )

What do you write? Anything similar to your avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedTyping View Post
    It's Urban Fantasy - two men who hop through dimensions while they learn how one friend, Max, isn't human.
    (a better blurb will be written - trust me )

What do you write? Anything similar to your avatar?
    Fantasy.

What sub-genre of fantasy, I'm not sure. I would have said High Fantasy once upon a time. But, it could be Epic. Perhaps others. So, now I just say "Fantasy".
    "The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."
    Michelangelo

Good evening, Royals.

I'm always amazed by the amount of fantasy writers. I too was writing fantasy.

"Be yourself; everyone else is taken." - Oscar Wilde

"Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of patience. Knowing grass, I can appreciate persistence." - Hal Borland

Leaning In, Falling Over threads's Avatar
    Good Evening Royals,

I am a big fantasy fan, but the amount of world building it takes to write it has always seemed intimidating to me.

I am first and foremost a poet because I have a short attention span and I like that you can write a more or less complete thing in one sitting. I'm trying to develop the discipline to write fiction. Because I really want to be able to do it. It's an upill battle though.
    We have not yet encountered any god who is as merciful as a man who flicks a beetle over on its feet.
    ― Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
    -Anas Nin

Good Evening Royals,

I understand about the world building! One of my questions for any beta readers is something like: Keeping in mind this is fantasy, does the world hold up? Is it fleshed out enough?

But really, I try to only give enough information to keep the reader interested, not so much that they are spoon fed the world. I have no idea if this will work or not. First I have to get betas to read it. After all, it's clear in my head

Well I'm impressed that you're taking this on!
    We have not yet encountered any god who is as merciful as a man who flicks a beetle over on its feet.

-Anas Nin

But really, I try to only give enough information to keep the reader interested, not so much that they are spoon fed the world.
    That's my approach, too. I don't want the reader bogged down in laying the world out in exposition, but learning about it and living in the world through the characters. I figure most, if not all, writers know more about the world they create than the reader will ever know unless the author publishes books specific to that purpose. I hope to continue the story in this world in the next book, once this one is "out there". With every bit of writing more and more of the world will be revealed through the interactions of the characters living in it. Perhaps there will even be a story from the early days that incorporates a bit of Sci-Fi, because that is the only way to tell the story of how the humans came to be on the world. Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to jump off into that genre and tell it. But, for now, I'm happy with the Fantasy bits.
    Michelangelo

Good morning, your Majesty.

Good day/morning, dear Royals.

Michelangelo

Good Morning Royals

Time for me to drink my coffee and ponder what to do with my characters after I play a disturbing amount of Words With Friends games. Hope you all had a restful sleep and are ready to face the day

Procrastinator Extraordinaire Lillian_Blaire's Avatar
    Good morning, Royals.

After a difficult and disappointing day yesterday, I'm ready to tackle the world again. But first, COFFEE!

(Yesterday was no big deal--son broke up with girlfriend and was really upset, my tattoo appointment was rescheduled three weeks from now, etc...)
    Lil is just full of of sweetness and love, with a side of raunchy innuendo. That never hurt anyone! - Jaymz
    Tell that to the guy(s) manacled in her basement... - be frank

*falls out of iron maiden*

*gah* What day is it?

Morning, Royals.
    I do horrible things to punctuation.
    If I wanted a label I'd tattoo a barcode on my ass.
    You know it's all fun and games until one of those petal-winged harbingers of death sticks its proboscis in your eye and sucks your gray-matter out through your retina.

Procrastinator Extraordinaire Lillian_Blaire's Avatar
    Hey there, Wicked.

Pretty sure it's Tuesday.
    Lil is just full of of sweetness and love, with a side of raunchy innuendo. That never hurt anyone! - Jaymz
    Tell that to the guy(s) manacled in her basement... - be frank

Ah, Tuesday. Good to know. Thank you. Looks like I have nothing of importance on my agenda.

Just like every other day.

It sounds like it might rain today. A nice dreary day is a good excuse to do some writing or drawing. I really need to play with my pencils.

Music for the castle- Abney Park "Katyusa" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhQVGgTJyUE

You know it's all fun and games until one of those petal-winged harbingers of death sticks its proboscis in your eye and sucks your gray-matter out through your retina.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian_Blaire View Post
    Good morning, Royals.

After a difficult and disappointing day yesterday, I'm ready to tackle the world again. But first, COFFEE!

(Yesterday was no big deal--son broke up with girlfriend and was really upset, my tattoo appointment was rescheduled three weeks from now, etc...)
    Yesterday sounds stressful
    Something nobody told me about parenting that I learned the hard way: baby's firsts don't end with the first year. There's first lover, first drug use, first alcoholic beverage, first breakup, first job, first car, first car accident.
    Here's to better days ahead *raises coffee cup*

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    Ah, Tuesday. Good to know. Thank you. Looks like I have nothing of importance on my agenda.

Just like every other day.

It sounds like it might rain today. A nice dreary day is a good excuse to do some writing or drawing. I really need to play with my pencils.

Music for the castle- Abney Park "Katyusa" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhQVGgTJyUE

lol - a dreary day is a good excuse to wear 'at home' clothes and ignore the world outside. It's windy here, the snow will melt but the wind will pull the moisture away.

Banned
    Greetings, royals!

My cold turned out to be a trifling thing, barely more than a snuffle. I'm back at work after a week off, though, so... I can't be TOO happy.

But it's lovely to see that others in the realm are doing well.

lol - a dreary day is a good excuse to wear 'at home' clothes and ignore the world outside. It's windy here, the snow will melt but the wind will pull the moisture away.
    I just came in from doing chores. Right now clean clothes sound like luxury. Especially if they don't have bits of hay and straw in them.

It's been obscenely warm here. In a month when their should be snow and cold.

Good morning Royals. (er. afternoon)

Woke up with a full blown sinus infection this morning. So, you know. Today's off to a good start.

-Anas Nin

Quote Originally Posted by Captcha View Post
    Greetings, royals!

My cold turned out to be a trifling thing, barely more than a snuffle. I'm back at work after a week off, though, so... I can't be TOO happy.

But it's lovely to see that others in the realm are doing well.
    Quote Originally Posted by threads View Post
    Good morning Royals. (er. afternoon)

Woke up with a full blown sinus infection this morning. So, you know. Today's off to a good start.
    Well.....where one is better, the other is sick. Balance has been restored in the universe.
    I do hope you feel better soon @threads, sinus infections are painful

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    I just came in from doing chores. Right now clean clothes sound like luxury. Especially if they don't have bits of hay and straw in them.

It's been obscenely warm here. In a month when their should be snow and cold.
    Lucky you! I had a very warm winter here as well - second in a row No doubt it's part of global warming. March is too mercurial to pin down here, we could have a Snowpocalypse or an early spring

Thanks my Queen.

This is kind of a chronic issue for me, unfortunately, but at least that means I know how to deal with it.

Also, I had JUST recovered from a bad stomach bug. So, I clearly am not allowed to be healthy for more than a week. Grumble grump grump. Sorry, I'm quite the grumblebee at the moment

-Anas Nin

Quote Originally Posted by threads View Post
    Thanks my Queen.

This is kind of a chronic issue for me, unfortunately, but at least that means I know how to deal with it.

Also, I had JUST recovered from a bad stomach bug. So, I clearly am not allowed to be healthy for more than a week. Grumble grump grump. Sorry, I'm quite the grumblebee at the moment
    No apology necessary - sometimes gumping about your problem makes you feel better, so grump away
    Personally, I cannot imagine having to deal with a sinus infection on a regular basis. The last time I had a cold/flu was New Year's Day 2015 (...or 2016?) and after only 24 hours I was whining like a big baby because I wasn't better yet.

Page 862 of 902 FirstFirst ... 112362612762787812837852856857858859860861862863864865866867868872887 ... LastLast