Royalty for a Week, and Shameless The Rest of The Time (Volume IV)

TwistedTyping

Lost between the pages
Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning Royals!!

I hope you are well rested after having soothing and happy dreams :)

Now, time to write.....maybe.....after I check on a few websites....maybe do research.....;)

TwistedTyping

Lost between the pages
Registered
Reaction score
Queen TwistedTyping,

What is it you write?

It's Urban Fantasy - two men who hop through dimensions while they learn how one friend, Max, isn't human.
(a better blurb will be written - trust me :) )

What do you write? Anything similar to your avatar?

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's Urban Fantasy - two men who hop through dimensions while they learn how one friend, Max, isn't human.
(a better blurb will be written - trust me :) )

What do you write? Anything similar to your avatar?

Fantasy. :greenie

What sub-genre of fantasy, I'm not sure. I would have said High Fantasy once upon a time. But, it could be Epic. Perhaps others. So, now I just say "Fantasy". :)

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good evening, Royals.

I'm always amazed by the amount of fantasy writers. I too was writing fantasy.

threads

Leaning In, Falling Over
Registered
Reaction score
Good Evening Royals,

I am a big fantasy fan, but the amount of world building it takes to write it has always seemed intimidating to me.

I am first and foremost a poet because I have a short attention span and I like that you can write a more or less complete thing in one sitting. I'm trying to develop the discipline to write fiction. Because I really want to be able to do it. It's an upill battle though.

TwistedTyping

Lost between the pages
Registered
Reaction score
Good Evening Royals,

I understand about the world building! One of my questions for any beta readers is something like: Keeping in mind this is fantasy, does the world hold up? Is it fleshed out enough?

But really, I try to only give enough information to keep the reader interested, not so much that they are spoon fed the world. I have no idea if this will work or not. First I have to get betas to read it. After all, it's clear in my head :)

threads

Leaning In, Falling Over
Registered
Reaction score
Well I'm impressed that you're taking this on!;)

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But really, I try to only give enough information to keep the reader interested, not so much that they are spoon fed the world.

That's my approach, too. I don't want the reader bogged down in laying the world out in exposition, but learning about it and living in the world through the characters. I figure most, if not all, writers know more about the world they create than the reader will ever know unless the author publishes books specific to that purpose. I hope to continue the story in this world in the next book, once this one is "out there". With every bit of writing more and more of the world will be revealed through the interactions of the characters living in it. Perhaps there will even be a story from the early days that incorporates a bit of Sci-Fi, because that is the only way to tell the story of how the humans came to be on the world. Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to jump off into that genre and tell it. But, for now, I'm happy with the Fantasy bits. :greenie

TwistedTyping

Lost between the pages
Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning Royals :)

Time for me to drink my coffee and ponder what to do with my characters after I play a disturbing amount of Words With Friends games. Hope you all had a restful sleep and are ready to face the day :)

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Royals.

After a difficult and disappointing day yesterday, I'm ready to tackle the world again. But first, COFFEE!

(Yesterday was no big deal--son broke up with girlfriend and was really upset, my tattoo appointment was rescheduled three weeks from now, etc...)

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
*falls out of iron maiden*

*gah* What day is it?

Morning, Royals.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, Tuesday. Good to know. Thank you. Looks like I have nothing of importance on my agenda.

Just like every other day.

It sounds like it might rain today. A nice dreary day is a good excuse to do some writing or drawing. I really need to play with my pencils.

Music for the castle- Abney Park "Katyusa" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhQVGgTJyUE

TwistedTyping

Lost between the pages
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Royals.

After a difficult and disappointing day yesterday, I'm ready to tackle the world again. But first, COFFEE!

(Yesterday was no big deal--son broke up with girlfriend and was really upset, my tattoo appointment was rescheduled three weeks from now, etc...)

Yesterday sounds stressful :(
Something nobody told me about parenting that I learned the hard way: baby's firsts don't end with the first year. There's first lover, first drug use, first alcoholic beverage, first breakup, first job, first car, first car accident.
Here's to better days ahead *raises coffee cup*

TwistedTyping

Lost between the pages
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, Tuesday. Good to know. Thank you. Looks like I have nothing of importance on my agenda.

Just like every other day.

It sounds like it might rain today. A nice dreary day is a good excuse to do some writing or drawing. I really need to play with my pencils.

Music for the castle- Abney Park "Katyusa" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhQVGgTJyUE

lol - a dreary day is a good excuse to wear 'at home' clothes and ignore the world outside. It's windy here, the snow will melt but the wind will pull the moisture away.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Greetings, royals!

My cold turned out to be a trifling thing, barely more than a snuffle. I'm back at work after a week off, though, so... I can't be TOO happy.

But it's lovely to see that others in the realm are doing well.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
lol - a dreary day is a good excuse to wear 'at home' clothes and ignore the world outside. It's windy here, the snow will melt but the wind will pull the moisture away.

I just came in from doing chores. Right now clean clothes sound like luxury. Especially if they don't have bits of hay and straw in them. :ROFL:

It's been obscenely warm here. In a month when their should be snow and cold.

threads

Leaning In, Falling Over
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Royals. (er. afternoon)

Woke up with a full blown sinus infection this morning. So, you know. Today's off to a good start.

TwistedTyping

Lost between the pages
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings, royals!

My cold turned out to be a trifling thing, barely more than a snuffle. I'm back at work after a week off, though, so... I can't be TOO happy.

But it's lovely to see that others in the realm are doing well.

Good morning Royals. (er. afternoon)

Woke up with a full blown sinus infection this morning. So, you know. Today's off to a good start.

Well.....where one is better, the other is sick. Balance has been restored in the universe.
I do hope you feel better soon @threads, sinus infections are painful :(

TwistedTyping

Lost between the pages
Registered
Reaction score
I just came in from doing chores. Right now clean clothes sound like luxury. Especially if they don't have bits of hay and straw in them. :ROFL:

It's been obscenely warm here. In a month when their should be snow and cold.

Lucky you! I had a very warm winter here as well - second in a row :) No doubt it's part of global warming. March is too mercurial to pin down here, we could have a Snowpocalypse or an early spring :e2shrug:

threads

Leaning In, Falling Over
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks my Queen.

This is kind of a chronic issue for me, unfortunately, but at least that means I know how to deal with it.

Also, I had JUST recovered from a bad stomach bug. So, I clearly am not allowed to be healthy for more than a week. Grumble grump grump. Sorry, I'm quite the grumblebee at the moment

TwistedTyping

Lost between the pages
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks my Queen.

This is kind of a chronic issue for me, unfortunately, but at least that means I know how to deal with it.

Also, I had JUST recovered from a bad stomach bug. So, I clearly am not allowed to be healthy for more than a week. Grumble grump grump. Sorry, I'm quite the grumblebee at the moment

No apology necessary - sometimes gumping about your problem makes you feel better, so grump away :)
Personally, I cannot imagine having to deal with a sinus infection on a regular basis. The last time I had a cold/flu was New Year's Day 2015 (...or 2016?) and after only 24 hours I was whining like a big baby because I wasn't better yet.

threads

Leaning In, Falling Over
Registered
Reaction score
No apology necessary - sometimes gumping about your problem makes you feel better, so grump away :)
Personally, I cannot imagine having to deal with a sinus infection on a regular basis. The last time I had a cold/flu was New Year's Day 2015 (...or 2016?) and after only 24 hours I was whining like a big baby because I wasn't better yet.

thanks I appreciate that. I actually started using a Neti pot not that long ago. Do you know about those? http://www.webmd.com/allergies/neti-pots

Its seriously cut down on the frequency and severity of infections, but sadly they havent totally gone away