Royalty for a Week, and Shameless The Rest of The Time (Volume IV)

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I'm reading Julia Cameron right now. The concept of morning pages is difficult for me currently but I'm working on it.

Princess pkbax: If it weren't ruined, I wouldn't get paid $20. But I agree, it's a foul thing to spread on a cake. I refuse to eat it. I taste it just to make sure it's not poison and that's more than enough for me. Yet people pay me money for it. And if that pays rent, then so be it.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good evening, Royals!

The uncooperative weather threw me for a loop this morning. It rained when it wasn't supposed to, but I still managed to visit all the clients I called the day before.

No trivia this evening. Everyone else has other plans.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Madly busy. The phrase neo-liberal university has adopted a whole new (and dreadful) meaning for me.
Is that neo as in "new and recent" or "new and abnormal"?

The weirdest thing about unemployment

Did I know you were unemployed? I'm sorry you are going through that.

spontaneously wrote a short poem that creeped me out so hard I needed to take a break from my computer. I haven't gone back to writing since.
:Jaw:
Okay after talking it up, its probably going to be not as bad as I made it out to be. Just, having it come out all at once and seemingly out of the blue in a free write was just uncomfortable.

It is the second verse that is particularly disturbing. I can understand you getting spooked by it.

Ok, what is "morning pages"? Definition for your queen, please.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Threads I like your poem! Hope you find work soon, what do you do? if you don't mind me asking.

So not only did we get hit by snowstorm and freezing rain...but the power went out at 4am, schools closed(which they weren't going anyways) but we took the boys to my mother in laws for the day since my side of town was without power, no lights, no heat. It's been a good day spent with my three kids, but I'm happy the twins go back to school tomorrow, daughter has plans with her cousin(my niece) and I am spending the day home writing.
Happy Tuesday!

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you and your family are safe despite the weather woes, Princess Jan.

My stomach isn't liking the dinner I had. I'm finding that eating is becoming increasingly touch and go. That can't be a good thing. :(

threads

Leaning In, Falling Over
Registered
Reaction score
Did I know you were unemployed? I'm sorry you are going through that.

:Jaw:

It is the second verse that is particularly disturbing. I can understand you getting spooked by it.

Ok, what is "morning pages"? Definition for your queen, please.

Heeh I feel validated at least that I'm not the only one creeped out.

Like I said, it was extra wierd because you know my stuff, I'm not a rhymer.

I had thought I had mentioned in passing that I'm unemployed. Perhaps not though. Thank you for your wishes, it's been a crappy year, but all things considered I'm very lucky. I have parents who I can live with, and I actually get along with them as a bonus. Plus, I've actually been keeping busy with a ton of volunteer work and other kinds of projects so I've been able to fill up my days quite a bit. All the same, a job would be nice for so many reasons (money not the least ;p)

There is a book called "The Artist's Way' by Julia Cameron. It's basically like a self development book for creatives, if I understand correctly. I haven't read it but I know people who swear by it. One of the big things she suggests is this idea called morning pages. Basically, every morning you free write for 3 pages, as a way to develop a writing habit while also engaging your subconscious. You can write whatever, the idea is just to write with out stopping. I don't always do mine in the morning and sometimes I type instead of write, but I've found it to be a super helpful exercise for me. (A lot of the poems I've been posting lately on here have started in my morning pages.)

I'm reading Julia Cameron right now. The concept of morning pages is difficult for me currently but I'm working on it.

Princess pkbax: If it weren't ruined, I wouldn't get paid $20. But I agree, it's a foul thing to spread on a cake. I refuse to eat it. I taste it just to make sure it's not poison and that's more than enough for me. Yet people pay me money for it. And if that pays rent, then so be it.

What's been difficult for you? I've had my own struggles staying committed at points but overall I really enjoy it.

Threads I like your poem! Hope you find work soon, what do you do? if you don't mind me asking.

So not only did we get hit by snowstorm and freezing rain...but the power went out at 4am, schools closed(which they weren't going anyways) but we took the boys to my mother in laws for the day since my side of town was without power, no lights, no heat. It's been a good day spent with my three kids, but I'm happy the twins go back to school tomorrow, daughter has plans with her cousin(my niece) and I am spending the day home writing.
Happy Tuesday!

Thanks Jan!

I finished grad school last spring with the hope of going into humanitarian policy, but it's a tough field in general, and especially since November everyone serious has been streaming out of the US government and into the non-profit world so it's gone from a tough field to basically an impossible one.

Right now I'm kind of in the process of reorienting what I'm looking for so I can find something more feasible but it's been confusing to figure out what that is.

I'm glad to hear had a fairly cozy day in spite of that weather! Yeesh!

Btw. You are in Ottawa right?

My Ottawa friend has been super psyched about how the hockey team is doing. Do you care about hockey? If so, I send congratulations! If not, move align ;)

Last edited:

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
What's been difficult for you? I've had my own struggles staying committed at points but overall I really enjoy it.

I don't have much of a schedule. And when I wake up, it's hard for me to remember to do stuff. But I want to get back to it.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My memory comes and goes, so you may have mentioned it, Threads, and I may not have retained it.

Have you considered doing something else for a while until the fates realign themselves to your benefit? I hear there are these strange group of folks called writers and sometimes they write stories or poetry and actually sell them. No, seriously. Anything like that appeal to you? ;)

Welcheren

Picking up tools, honing edges
Registered
Reaction score
I hear there are these strange group of folks called writers and sometimes they write stories or poetry and actually sell them. No, seriously. Anything like that appeal to you? ;)

Weirdos... (whom I secretly wish I could join).

Threads has the description of morning pages spot on. It's part of Julia Cameron's book The Artist's Way, the premise of which to dislodge some of the commonly misconceptions about art in general, including writing (as she sees it).

That was neo as in new.

If the Royals will permit their Alchemist a quick rant, here the consequence of a neo-liberal university:

Top Management: "You see, Welchie, if you have time to pursue creating writing you are clearly not working hard enough. We are instituting new rules to prevent that sort of thing. But remember, this is all in your best interests. We want to develop your potential."

Welcheren: "What if I want to pursue creative writing? What if that might be part of my potential?"

TM: "Well that's not going to make the university any money is it? Unless you write the next New York Times Best Seller. Oh, and it must offer incisive social critique. None of that creativity for its own sake here."

Last edited:

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Royals. Looks like a busy evening last night in the castle. I was attending the royal book club and enjoyed my time immensely. I hope you are all doing well.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Prince Welcheren, I'm afraid I have heard such things happening to other uni professors, including my own father. I wish "top management" were more understanding of creative pursuits.

Welcheren

Picking up tools, honing edges
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto. Oh well.

Happy to hear you enjoyed Royal Book Club.

How does it work? Is it different from other book clubs?

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Royal Loyals.

Princess Lillian, I've never been to a book club. But, then, I'm very introverted. It is much more comfortable to talk about books online than in person.

Prince Welcheren, I'm sorry you are going through this with your boss. That definitely isn't fair. I hope you find a way to keep your creative writing going despite the idiots who think it isn't necessary. :Hug2:

threads

Leaning In, Falling Over
Registered
Reaction score

I don't have much of a schedule. And when I wake up, it's hard for me to remember to do stuff. But I want to get back to it.

I hear you on all that. Like I said, I don't always do it in the mornings and once I released myself from feeling like I had to do it first thing, it became easier. But it's still hard. I'm not always consistent with it.

threads

Leaning In, Falling Over
Registered
Reaction score
My memory comes and goes, so you may have mentioned it, Threads, and I may not have retained it.

Have you considered doing something else for a while until the fates realign themselves to your benefit? I hear there are these strange group of folks called writers and sometimes they write stories or poetry and actually sell them. No, seriously. Anything like that appeal to you? ;)

Writing is definitely the long term dream, and I've been trying to use the time this year to work towards that!

However I got so out of the creative writing headspace in grad school that I spent a bunch of months trying to just get back to writing again.

I've finally gotten up the courage to submit some poems to a few places recently. Haven't heard back yet, but for most places you are lucky if you get 5 dollars.

I'm very unself confident about my fiction skills. I've been trying to practice. (Coursera has a creative writing specialization that you can audit. Also I've been trying to write Fanfic as a way to get some immediate feedback. ) But I'm nowhere near confident enough to try to publish anything.

I actually am really interested in the idea of trying to freelance (articles, blog posts, etc.) I've made a few very tentative stabs towards that but it hasn't gone anywhere yet.

In the meantime, what I've been doing is working as a writing tutor, so I actually do have a certain amount of money coming in, just not enough to support myself.

Anyway, long post is long ;)

threads

Leaning In, Falling Over
Registered
Reaction score
Weirdos... (whom I secretly wish I could join).

Threads has the description of morning pages spot on. It's part of Julia Cameron's book The Artist's Way, the premise of which to dislodge some of the commonly misconceptions about art in general, including writing (as she sees it).

That was neo as in new.

If the Royals will permit their Alchemist a quick rant, here the consequence of a neo-liberal university:

Top Management: "You see, Welchie, if you have time to pursue creating writing you are clearly not working hard enough. We are instituting new rules to prevent that sort of thing. But remember, this is all in your best interests. We want to develop your potential."

Welcheren: "What if I want to pursue creative writing? What if that might be part of my potential?"

TM: "Well that's not going to make the university any money is it? Unless you write the next New York Times Best Seller. Oh, and it must offer incisive social critique. None of that creativity for its own sake here."

Ohhh screw TM ; ( Remind me what your academic field is Welcheren? I am the daughter of a professor and it's given me such a jaundiced view of university life.

Prince Welcheren, I'm afraid I have heard such things happening to other uni professors, including my own father. I wish "top management" were more understanding of creative pursuits.

Woo! Daughters of professors unite!
Good morning, Royals. Looks like a busy evening last night in the castle. I was attending the royal book club and enjoyed my time immensely. I hope you are all doing well.

What book.were you reading?

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Threads-No I'm far away from Ottawa, I'm closer to Winnipeg. We're headed that way in June, taking the kids to Niagara Falls for family vacation. I'm bad I don't follow hockey till the very end so once the stanly cup finals come on tv and only if a Canadian team is playing, then I watch. However I love the Chicago Cubs and when they made it to the world series I watched every game and LOVED every moment!!!!! I was so thrilled when they won, you would have thought I was an American. Now I do love my Blue Jays....so if the cubs were playing against the jays it would be tricky for me. That's great you earn some money from your writing even if it doesn't support you completely.

Welcheren-Do you mean you write while on company time? Sorry I'm confused.

Ambrosia-I hope your appetite comes back and you start to feel better <3

Lillian-I'm curious too, what book did you read?

Ok royals because last night was spent with my daughter I missed Martini Tuesday....Tonight Martini's will be served in my chambers and there will be a soda fountain for those who are skipping the alcohol.

In honour of our Queen, tonight's special is the S'more chocolate martini!(I can make it a virgin)
Double-Chocolate-Smores-Martini-DelightfulEMade-vert3-683x1024_zpsze7q1rxq.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

threads

Leaning In, Falling Over
Registered
Reaction score
Derp. Forgive me. I don't know why but I specifically thought I remembered you saying Ottawa.

I'll forgive you for not liking hockey because you like the Cubs!! Whooohooo!!! My father is from Chicago so Cubs fandom was wort of a requirement in our house when I was growing up

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For some reason that I fail to comprehend, the techs at my chiro appt did all the end stuff normally reserved for after the adjustment at the beginning. I think that my chiro was busy doing something else which is why they did it that. But having my neck stretched out before I had any of the heat packs on my back didn't work as well as normal. Because I wasn't relaxed. And having my chiro do the manipulation after all the things were done that has helped before with the lingering pain from the adjustment, didn't make sense to me, either. Plus he did a rush job today and didn't hit half the areas he normally does.

I'm less than pleased. I feel like an afterthought.

Last edited:

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Woo! Daughters of professors unite!

What book.were you reading?
Both of my parents were professors, actually. *high five's Threads* Yay us!

The book was Art of Racing In The Rain. Full disclosure, I didn't read the book. I just went to hang out with my friends. We had a great time--I needed to get out of the house and be with other adults and it was great.

threads

Leaning In, Falling Over
Registered
Reaction score
For some reason that I fail to comprehend, the techs at my chiro appt did all the end stuff normally reserved for after the adjustment at the beginning. I think that my chiro was busy doing something else which is why they did it that. But having my neck stretched out before I had any of the heat packs on my back didn't work as well as normal. Because I wasn't relaxed. And having my chiro do the manipulation after all the things were done that has helped before with the lingering pain from the adjustment, didn't make sense to me, either. Plus he did a rush job today and didn't hit half the areas he normally does.

I'm less than pleased. I feel like an afterthought.

Thats awful. Is this a chiropractor you normally go to? (And like?) Can you complain?

threads

Leaning In, Falling Over
Registered
Reaction score
I've never actually been in a formal book club, but as I understand it they are usually all about the drinking and hanging out and only very minimally about the book. =)