Krampus collecting children

How To Support AW

AW is an Amazon Affiliate

Buy Scrivener 3 for macOS (Regular Licence)

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

View Poll Results: Public poll: As a reader, which act do you like best in the three-act structure?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • I generally like Act I best

1 33.33%
  • I generally like Act II best

0 0%
  • I generally like Act III best

0 0%
  • It totally depends on the story or I don't have a preference

2 66.67%

Thread: In stories that follow a three-act structure, which is (usually) your favorite act?

Threaded View

practical experience, FTW

In stories that follow a three-act structure, which is (usually) your favorite act?

I'm editing through the third act of my amquerying novel again. While writing and editing this thing, each act poses different problems for me.

Act I: effectively introducing characters and problem (still not hitting the bulls eye)
    Act II: Avoiding soggy middle (this was work but I think I'm there).
    Act III: Seemed to need action and violence to resolve, (neither of which I am comfortable writing.)

I'm just curious. When you read a novel, or see a movie, is there one act that you prefer over the others? I always gravitate toward act II. I like seeing the characters in their 'new world,' growing and experiencing new things.

But I bet a lot of people like Act III better. Maybe some people really like Act I best, because ... who knows, maybe because it is a new story they're eager to be introduced to. I dunno.

I'm curious if you have a favorite 'act' as a reader, in the three act structure.
    Last edited by Patty; Yesterday at 08:38 PM.
    My twitter I follow writers back.
    My Facebook Just started learning this one.