Not open for further replies.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sound weird because I learned French alongside English. I also speak strangely to begin with-- sometimes talking too fast and other times have a strange way of enunciating words.

I'm a weirdo man.
Which explains why you fit in here immediately.

There was a time when The House of Love was a busy place. Sometimes we even got together in person. The original Ray is long gone from AW, but the last time we gathered, there was a fridge magnet at the rental house that said "Ray's Place." Eerie!

I would love to be bilingual, Daniel. Alas, it is not to be.

Maryn, slow with languages

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I raised my son bilingual (English/Spanish). He was fluent in both until he was about...12. But once we moved back to the United States (from Mexico), he stopped using it and he lost it. He doesn't speak of a lick of it now and it breaks my heart. Though, I think it wouldn't take much for it to come flooding back to him if he took a class. He's more interested in learning Japanese, however, as more US businesses are dealing with Japan these days, and fewer with Spanish speaking countries.

Yo hablo español pero no tan bien como solía hacerlo, y no tan bien como me gustaría.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's enough like Latin that I got the gist of it.

Why does gist always look weird in writing when we say it all the time?

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
It’s funny, I tried to text “gist” last night and kept thinking it looked wrong and changing the spelling. Finally I just reworded my sentence.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Clearly we are twins separated at birth. Which comes as a surprise to exactly no one.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm learning German as well.

I REALLY adore it. Such a beautiful language. I want to read German poetry and the like.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our older daughter is trying to teach herself German using some app, I forget which one. When we see her, sometimes in a quiet moment I'll hear her speaking German into her phone. This seems strange to me, since she's on the faculty at a college. I bet she could sit in or take it online for free. Although her university is notoriously bad to faculty, so maybe not.

I went to my critique group. They did not care for my story. I'll live.

Maryn, tough cookie

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Such a beautiful language.
Uh...say what? I'm German so I feel entitled to say that German is one of those languages where everyone always sounds pissed off. It's one of the angriest sounding language around, in my opinion. I mean, I'm glad you like it, that's awesome. But it's no romance language.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think I've EVER heard anyone describe German as beautiful. Ever.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I've EVER heard anyone describe German as beautiful. Ever.

Quoi? :p

I think what I meant to say is that the majesty of the poetry alone in German-- that I've read translated, is so wonderful in its meaning that it aids in my pursuit to learn the language. I'm not speaking of how it sounds. Does that make more sense?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so lucky I'm mostly a good sleeper. Even though I wake several times a night, usually I can get back to sleep quickly. Mr Maryn, on the other hand, is a horrible sleeper who flat-out refuses to get a sleep study done because he's getting by, damn it. (And he doesn't want to use a CPAP machine, I gather.) He gets maybe six hours a night, and several times a weeks takes a half hour nap at some point. But that leaves lots of days when he's had six hours. I would be such a flaming grouch if our roles were switched.

Maryn, who is often a grouch though well rested

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
I did a sleep study last year after months of especially terrible sleep (getting up to use the bathroom two or three times, waking gasping for air, head pounding). I was so tired all the time, I could hardly function.

The sleep study was an in-home study. They sent me the kit in the mail with instructions and I hooked myself up to the machine and went to sleep, thinking I'd never get any rest with all the crap stuck to me. And I slept better than I have in about five years.

So of course the results showed I had no problems. My doctor dismissed the issue, since the sleep study said I was okay (which I'm still angry about). I'm moody, emotional, short tempered, can't concentrate, and suffer from chronic headaches. :Shrug: But the test says I'm okay so that's all that matters.

I've gone back to the doctor several times since and she's worked to alleviate the stress she feels is causing my inability to sleep but so far, nothing has helped. I don't want a c-pap either, but I'd like my life back. I haven't functioned normally in years.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And the same to you, my friend.

We're hunkering down for some severe winter. Today is the day to get out and run errands--it's going to hit 20!--and after that, bitter cold. I'll have to do a grocery run Friday, but that's not terribly far. After I shoveled yesterday, I brought more firewood into the garage, so we'll be cozy.

My writing group, which sort of re-launched itself a couple months ago with everyone committing to write, was to meet today but we canceled. Everybody wants the day to do what's got to be done, and one person is just back from an unplanned funeral trip and hasn't finished her critiques. (I'd give her a pass.)

Maryn, who has one critique to go herself

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Careful you don't dunk the jingle bells on your ferret-hat. Those things rust, you know.

Last night while I was getting ready for bed we had Househunters on, and one of the people was insistent on a house that could accommodate a Japanese soaking tub. No, a master suite's soaking tub with Jacuzzi would not do, although maybe if they ripped it out and redid the floor, the right tub could be installed. Sheesh, huh?

I was a dutiful homeowner and shoveled us out when it was 1 degree out, wind chill 25 below zero. I was okay, but I was glad Mr. Maryn was there to do half.

Status
Not open for further replies.