Ray's House of Love Vol III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
You're braver than I am, Maryn. I'd be in a hotel calling exterminators.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So far, Mr. Maryn has answered every call for wasp-killing. They're logy and weird from the stuff he's sprayed into the nest at twilight. I could even swat 'em if I wanted, I bet.

He and I agreed last night that today we'd make the determination whether to call an exterminator. Fewer wasps inside since he started these treatments of the nest is improvement, yeah, but is it adequate? No way.

Maryn, scraping wallpaper today, oh boy!

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, you'd better take a closer look at those wasps. These days, they could actually be man-made drones sent to spy on you. Big Brother is watching.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so now my wasp-swatting hand has a hitch in its giddy-up from the wallpaper job, which is not done, but at least we have an appointment with an exterminator. But that wasn't enough fun, oh, no. The refrigerator, which is only about 14 months old and just out of warranty (of course!) is not cooling sufficiently. We probably need to throw out a lot of what's in there, damn it. So naturally, the appliance repair place we've used before has been bought out and don't seem to have any record of us, which means there's a wait.

Maryn, already grouchy

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
And you can't tell me that's not planned obsolescence.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's exactly what we were saying. Now the repair dude came and went. The fridge is so new they don't carry parts for it. They have to be ordered. From freakin' Asia. We're looking at a week without it.

We threw out several hundred dollars worth of food and are going to the grocery store daily for ice and that day's food. It's a crimp in my culinary schools to eliminate all recipes that use a portion of a larger product like, say, stock or sour cream, because we simply don't have room to store much of that kind of thing.

Luckily, we'll be out of town for three days next week, which makes this less awful, but still...

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
A damn good excuse to eat at restaurants, but that sure does get expensive.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It does.

Weird thing last night. We went to a ten o'clock comedy show. They opened the doors about 9:40 and we ordered drinks. (Comedy is always better if you have a drink!) The waitress told us about an addition to the very limited food menu, and we said no, just the drinks. She wondered if we'd already eaten. By ten at night, you bet we've eaten. And then--this is the odd part--she wanted to know what we'd had, so I'm telling her how I made the salmon and the brown rice with cheese, and when does a server ever ask that kind of stuff? Strange. Maybe she was bored, or hungry.

The show also happened to have among its attendees the largest number of obese men I'd seen in a while, carrying maybe 150 extra pounds. There are a lot more women who are that level of overweight than men, but our audience of maybe 75 had seven such men. (All of them ordered food, I'll note.)

Maryn, who felt thin

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
I've never had much of a weight problem...I was, perhaps, five pounds overweight when I had my heart attack. I've lost at least 20 lbs. since then with a huge change in diet. See, all it takes for me to start eating healthier is the threat of death—that's all.

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
I've lost a bit more than forty pounds because diabetes gave me a choice between losing weight or feet. Unlike you, Russ, I was far too heavy.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you made the right decision. Feet sure are handy!

In our continuing upgrade of the Neglected House, today Mr. Maryn will probably finish painting the ceiling in the entryway, over the stairs, and in the upstairs hall. I get a crick in my neck just thinking about it. I keep reminding myself he hasn't cleaned a bathroom or scrubbed a floor in 30 years, so this is fair.

We've narrowed our wallpaper choices down to eight, without regard to price. If we just love something, we may get it, since it's not a large area--but so far, the one I'd consider lovable he's all meh about. I contend you can be bold and maybe splashy with it in an area where people don't spend any time, like the entryway and stairs. I wouldn't want any of these in the living room or something.

The goal is to finish the paper, then buy new carpet for the stairs and hall, since the absolutely necessary repair to the stairs renders them permanently ugly where the tread failed. (Our whole family walked at the edge of those three steps for years!) All by Thanksgiving! I think we can do it, but the clock, she ticks and ticks.

Maryn, reminding herself she needs to buy a new clock for the one in the bathroom that died

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
You could get a clock radio and have music as well as the time.

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
I have stopped cleaning early. I usually try to work until nine but since I filled several big trash bags I feel entitled to knock off early. I have made only a tiny dent in the chaos.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, but the next time you do it, the dent will become larger, and the time after that it might graduate from tiny to small.

It's been four or five months, but Mr. Maryn and I spent a good bit of time in the basement, trying to create order of the chaos, and while it's still chaotic, the paths through the boxes and plastic bins are much wider, the items on shelves are stowed in a way that makes sense, and they're labeled. It needs more of our time and effort, but it's vastly improved even so.

Your chaos will be, too!

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
I have cleared a little pathway. But it is so little compared to what needs to be done.

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
Pandora and I cleaned our apartment top to bottom right before our friends visited from Kansas last week. They've since gone home, so I guess we can get back to messing it up again. Some aspects of life sure get repetitious.

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
In my next life, an independently-wealthy one, maids and butlers will be plentiful.

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
But once I start cleaning, I'm a maniac. Marines tend to be clean nuts.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...maybe I can talk one of my kids into joining the marines and coming home to visit (and clean) a couple times a week.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A member who is no longer here was a clean freak, so much so that when I jokingly said she should visit for a few weeks and clean my house, she PMed to say if I'd pay her way and put her up, she would.

I was seriously tempted, but the kids still lived at home then, so there wasn't anyplace for her to sleep.

Now, of course, we have two guest rooms and I think Russ and Lillian would probably have lots of fun cleaning my house. Come on, you two, say you will!

My plan to tidy one room just a bit seems to have fallen by the wayside after I remade the bed, which was far more effort than it ought to be. We have these new sheets and one corner just won't stay the fuck on. I even stripped the bed and rotated the sheet, since king-sized beds are so nearly square without being square. I figured I'd put it on wrong. But no-o-o-o!

Maryn, hoping everyone's problems are about this serious

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
You pop for airfare and I'll be there. BUT, I don't dust or do windows. Kitchens are my specialty.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I hate ill-fitting sheets!

Russ can do kitchens and bathrooms and I’ll organize and do laundry. Don’t tell anyone, but I love doing laundry! Not ironing, though.

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
Who else is jumping into NaNoWriMo?

Status
Not open for further replies.