Ray's House of Love Vol III

Status
Not open for further replies.

cellajam

Not the one and only
Registered
Reaction score
Neither have I, it came into style well after my drink anything days. I was at a friend's house once and had some Skinny Girl bottle of something alcoholic that was mojito flavored and it was tasty. I say we let Russ mix up a pitcher and get to it.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
to be fair I googled it. Hubby likes them. I prefer a daqueri. or a whiskey sour.
I also make up my own. like rum, ocean spray blueberry juice and sierra mist soda, I called it a blue mist.

cellajam

Not the one and only
Registered
Reaction score
A margarita up, I saw these neat cups made of Himalayan salt, maybe they could sit in the freezer if they were protected from the moisture, mmmm. I'm just dreaming, I'm drinking coffee.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on green tea right now.
I worked 12 hours yesterday. I was tired last night and slow moving today but properly so, not completely wiped as I would have been pre-surgery. I wouldn't have tried it pre-surgery.

Dogs got out yesterday, gate was open. I wasn't home. I was at work at the event I stayed late for and put together. I got a facebook message from my neighbor that the puppies were out. I went to the hall and called hubby and told him michelle said the dogs were out. He was asking if I was ok and I repeated that the dogs were out. He said - "what? is the gate open? Bye!" I called a neighbor to see if she'd help round them up because when they get out when I'm home they run. But I got a text from hubby that they were ok and in the house. Later he told me when he opened the front door they were waiting on the porch looking confused. Crisis averted. When I got home Garrus wouldn't leave my side. Bruce said they all won "Good dog of the day" for being there.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes, that's scary when they get out, since who knows what they could do or where they might go. Is there a spring on your gate so it closes automatically? A pet can still slip out if it's quick, but it can help. Our neighbor at our old house had a big (and badly behaved, but that's for another post) dog who got out all the time until she had the spring put in.

We're gearing up for our big trip out west, for which we leave on Tuesday. I hear there's very poor cell phone reception and internet can be spotty except in the cities, so I will not be a frequent presence. Just think of me drinking mojitos somewhere.

That's one of the problems with vacations, even active ones like this. You eat every meal out, and drink far more often than you do at home. Cheers!

Maryn, praying her knees hold up

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have a good trip Maryn.

Still tired from my long Wednesday but I get to leave work early today. So I better snap to it, eh?
A local Greek Orthodox church has a Greek Festival every fall and for many years hubby and I would go get lunch on the Friday because he worked near it. We haven't been since he changed jobs, so I'm using my time to go today to look around and then pick up dinner before picking hubby up from work.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's pretty nice. Will you surprise him with Greek food, or does he know?

I'm trying to do all the laundry today (and tomorrow if I don't finish). We will not wear anything that's going with us after today.

Maryn, in a weird bra and strange socks

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Anyway, in most happy marriages I'm privy to, the guy doesn't express the depth and sincerity of his love with roses and sweet talk. He does it by making his own breakfast so she can sleep in a little longer after being up with the baby, by saying nothing about the fact that she still hasn't called the repair guy, by listening when she natters on about the people at work, by loving her when she looks terrific and when she's wearing sweatpants and an old shirt that clings to her rolls of fat, by treating her as an equal partner in their life together.

Maryn, lucky

Basically, he loves by being there.

Yep and Yep. Give me a guy who will stick by me through thick and thin and cancer any day over the hot stud who disappears at the first stretch mark or scar, or the overly-romantic-who-wants-life-to-be-like-the-love-story-in-the-movie.

My husband has been an absolute rock and peach during the past 2 months while my life has gone in a 180-degree whirl from where it used to be. I think he's a keeper. :heart:

we looked for super wonderful thick towels like the best hotels have. We paid plenty for hopefuls but have not been wowed. Damn it, I want to be wowed!

I wish I had room in the shower part of our bathroom for one of those heated towel racks. Mmmm. I think there's one that hangs on the wall, but we don't have an electrical outlet in that small area. Only out where the sinks are.

Is there a spring on your gate so it closes automatically? A pet can still slip out if it's quick, but it can help. Our neighbor at our old house had a big (and badly behaved, but that's for another post) dog who got out all the time until she had the spring put in.

That's a good idea. We should do that on our gates.

We're gearing up for our big trip out west, for which we leave on Tuesday.

How far out west? Not as far as my left coast, eh? If so, you'd better look me up!

cellajam said:
I just couldn't resist posting in Ray's House of Love, gotta be a good start.

:welcome: cellajam! Join in the Love Party.

Hey, anyone remember the B-52s and "The Love Shack" ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SOryJvTAGs

Always fun.

~~~
So it's been awhile since I've been here. I'm back at work full-time, dealing with chemo treatments and not-terrible side effects, and started class a week ago. It's online so I only have to go to campus twice, for mid-term and final exams. But still time consuming. It's ICD-10, which is the new medical coding that took affect in USA on October 1, many years after much of the rest of the world.

May help me transition into a different job in my hospital. Not sure if I'll be able to stay working in ER during the chemo - depends on how low my white blood counts go. Too low, and my oncologist will pull me out of the infectious areas. I want to stay in ER because it works best with the chemo schedule - job is Sunday-Wednesday, chemo is Thursday mornings, which gives me another 2 days off to recover.

So far it's been going well. Side effects are troublesome but minimal and handled with various meds. No nausea - they dose me up with anti-nausea before the chemo, and I use one med for 3 days during the "bad" chemo week. One week I get a "gentler" chemo drug, the next week I get 3 drugs, one of which is a fairly toxic one.

That's the one that's made my hair fall out. I'm wearing a wig to work, and a turban out to most other places. I'm going to an public event tonight where I'll wear the wig. I'm getting used to it. I keep adjusting it on my head, thinking it's slipping forward or something. But it's ok. People like it. Some casual co-workers, who aren't in my department and don't see me much, think I've just gotten a cut and color, so I guess it looks real enough. :)

Chemo ends Dec 24, then I'll do radiation for 6 weeks starting in mid-January. And then it's just a wait and see game. CT scans every few months.

Throughout this I've gotten back in touch with some old buddies, including my bestie friend from 1st grade (a very long time ago), who never left Colorado where I grew up. I've lived in 3 different states and many cities since I turned 18. Moved here to Oregon about 9 years ago. Hard to maintain friendships with those who are far away. Facebook helps, but not like being there in person. And my 1st-grade friend isn't on FB. I sent her a Real Letter through snail mail to let her know of my diagnosis, and we've been in touch since. :Hug2:

I'm envious of women who come into the ER together and say they've been friends for 40 years. I wish I had that kind of continuity. Someone who remembers my childhood and school days and growing into adulthood. That would be lovely, but it's not my life. Oh well.

I should be studying but just not into it right now, so thought I'd pop in and say hi. I've read back the past few pages - hope all is well with those dealing with health issues and other stuff. :Sun:

Last edited:

cellajam

Not the one and only
Registered
Reaction score
Juniper, tough cookie. If it wears you down don't forget to cry uncle and ease up your schedule. Sending a giant cyberhug. :hi:

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I was expecting my stepson to arrive last week-end, but at the last minute he called and said he couldn't make it, but that he'd come this week-end. Now it's that time, and I'm guessing he isn't going to make it again. :( His son (our oldest grandchild) was killed falling out of a tree back in August. The funeral was a long ordeal, with half of us having to travel good distances to get together. All the while we were there, my husband was wanting to spend some time alone with him, but it never happened. Now he is wanting to spend some time with his dad, and can't get seem to get here. Hoping he can make it.

Juniper, I haven't "chatted" with you much, but I've read a lot of your posts while you've been going through your long ordeal. You are a brave, brave lady.

That's pretty nice. Will you surprise him with Greek food, or does he know?

I'm trying to do all the laundry today (and tomorrow if I don't finish). We will not wear anything that's going with us after today.

Maryn, in a weird bra and strange socks
I hate bras. Have NEVER found a comfortable one. They all feel like a steel band around my chest that is cutting off my air. When I deliberately buy them too big so I can breath, they slip up to my nipples when I lift my arms, sometimes just on one side. Then I flash my husband, and he laughs. Socks, though . . . mmmmmmm I love socks. Always have. When I was a kid, I used to raid my brother's sock drawer and wear his around the house like slippers. He called me Argyles. When he got mad at me, the worst thing he could think to threaten me with was, "OK, I'm not letting you wear my socks anymore."

Why can't bras be more like socks? :greenie

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's funny-sad how many women cannot find a bra that's comfortable. My bestest ones are okay in comfort, and my second-best are "invisible," in that I cannot feel and do not notice them when I wear them, although they don't shape and support as well as the good ones. I'm sure it depends a lot on how much support the person needs and how sensitive she is. I would think there's got to be some stretchy support that wouldn't make you crazy, though. I assume you're not hugely endowed? Running bras, many of which double as outer garments, are a possibility if you're still in the market. Or you could just visit Sock Dreams and buy your brother something cool and weird. (I love their stuff, and they carry some for men.)

Juniper, I'm stopping short of you, mostly in Utah. After PBS ran their special on the national parks a couple years back, we (and everyone else) agreed we should spend time visiting more of them. We plan to hike Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, Zion, and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, while we're still physically able to do it. Think good thoughts toward my knees, please. And lest I form the wrong impression, I'm not some athletic type. It'll be more like Kathy Bates Takes a Long Walk.

Thanks for the update on how the chemo's going. I'm thinking of you often and wishing real hard for the very best outcome. The hair loss is probably hard to deal with, but as part of the price for beating cancer, it's a good deal, right? I find myself smiling at women in turbans or head wraps, or with quarter-inch hair, although I can't always tell if they're chemo patients or uber-chic. Hell, it does no harm to smile at strangers either way.

Maryn, who can be pleasant

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there! I was thinking of you just last night, when the answer to a question on Jeopardy was your hometown. How are you doing? I see you've started something new. Genre?

Maryn, nosy as usual

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Uh, hi?

We did a long walk today, because a tree fell on our route after we'd passed it and we had to take a bit of a detour through some farmer's field to get back. Luckily, he'd already harvested and plowed. More luckily, nobody was under the tree.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you are ok.
So not only do I not need the cane most of the time, I've walked the dogs three times without it! So that's it. NO CANE.
And I went out the front on the steps with them leashed instead of taking them down to the basement to leash them after we are on ground level. After leaving the gate open I didn't want to go through the back yard anymore.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Went to my twice yearly exam today. A nurse practitioner student was with the doctor. She made me feel old when I had to explain the discolored patch on my left arm from smallpox vaccine. On the positive side I have lost twelve pounds since March and am less than two pounds over what the doctor wants me to weigh.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Guess what I got in the mail yesterday?

potholder_zpsjmr7cutk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

from sassandgroove! You can't tell from the photo, but it's 3D. The purple/yellow flower and the green leaves are above the rest. Now you're all envious, I know. :evil

Thanks, sass, for making that for me. It's going to hang on a kitchen cupboard door where it will brighten my days.

~~~
So above I almost wrote "you're all jealous" but changed to envious. Because, ya know, grammar. But that's an easy slip-up that most people, I think, make out in the real world.

I finally got it drilled into my head a few weeks ago -

My being envious means I want what that other person has. "I want that boat!"

My being jealous means I have someone/something I want to keep all to myself and not share with another person. "I'm jealous that the slut next door took my husband for a long afternoon in that boat! How dare she take him and not me! She's trying to steal him!"

Or, that's the way I'm understanding it. But most people just say "I'm jealous that she has that boat."

Not sure how/why I got off on that ...

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad you like it! I didn't know that about jealous and envious. I do know that being naked is vulnerable and involuntary and being nude voluntary, like an outfit.

Anyway, I blogged about the journey of making that pot holder if anyone cares. It was a bit of a challenge and I learned new things! https://sassandgroove.wordpress.com/2015/10/03/i-havent-been-around-for-a-while/

I waited to post about my blog update so that Juniper could see it first.

Komnena glad you are close to the goal weight. I've been thinking about losing weight but haven't yet. I guess it takes more than thinking.

Last edited:

I_love_coffee

that's what it's all about....
Registered
Reaction score
I thought there was supposed to be a hot tub here, but I don't see it.

Is it a symbolic hot tub?

*scratches head and leaves holding bikini*

Wye Pen

Banned
Reaction score
I'm so glad you like it! I didn't know that about jealous and envious. I do know that being naked is vulnerable and involuntary and being nude voluntary, like an outfit.

Anyway, I blogged about the journey of making that pot holder if anyone cares. It was a bit of a challenge and I learned new things! https://sassandgroove.wordpress.com/2015/10/03/i-havent-been-around-for-a-while/

I waited to post about my blog update so that Juniper could see it first.

Komnena glad you are close to the goal weight. I've been thinking about losing weight but haven't yet. I guess it takes more than thinking.

Being naked is no chink in armour. I can prove it with me personal pic. Should I postit teh is the question!
May be I shall!

Status
Not open for further replies.