Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember Wallace and Ladmo quite well, thank you! In looking it up just now, I am amazed to see it ran from 1954 to 1989. They must have gotten pretty old by the end of the run.

I think I don't want to read that any of them died, so I just closed the link.

My birthday dinner out was nice. We were by far the most dressed up, even at a fancy restaurant in a rich-people hotel. Our waiter was an aspiring writer who learned about AW. I'd all but forgotten how restaurants get better steaks than mere mortals can buy, and my god, it was good. Almost made up for the uber-hipness of every man on the staff wearing a man-bun. Back home, there was cake and wine and later, heartburn. I am not used to eating like this.

Maryn, officially older now

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
That long? Amazing.
Yes, restaurants have first crack at the best steaks, no doubt.
I have just had a quick flash of a story idea: The Vegetarian in Miles City. (Kansas City or Omaha too big, he or she would have options there). Possibilities?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would think that only the foolish restaurateur now has a menu with no vegetarian options. Vegan and gluten-free, maybe still an issue, but vegetarian isn't that hard to accommodate with what you've got on-hand. It might be a meal light on protein, but you can give a vegetarian a filling meal at a steak joint by upping the quantities on the sides.

So make 'em vegan?

Mr. Maryn's birthday is in four days, and only now is he attempting to put together a wish list. This is in time for me, but for kids who have to send a gift by mail or UPS? Not cool.

Maryn, who keeps a wish list going at all times, because she likes things

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Well it's my birthday too, yeah!

Maryn, shocked at how old she is

Happy Belated Birthday! Sorry I missed it. I'm shocked at how old you are too. :Wha: :)

Have you been operated on yet?

Ibuprofen is my best friend lately. Taking 4 at a time, occasionally 5, keeps the pain at bay and lets me function. Surgery consult is tomorrow morning, early. I switched my job schedule so I'd be off this evening, to get my thoughts in order and my questions, currently in notes in my phone, on paper coherently so I can be prepared for the consult. I want to have a good idea of what to expect afterwards, not just, "Well the doctor said I should do it, so ok."

Plus I may do a second opinion, but I'm up against a time frame. I need to have this done by early August so I can go on my planned vacation a few weeks later, to visit my 91 yr old FIL. Not going to miss that. He's a terrific guy and I am planning on getting there. He's on the opposite coast and I only see him once a year usually.

I'm seeing a doctor tomorrow! It's about my years-ago diagnosis of a genetic illness that does not affect my mother, father, grandfather, or sister. So there's some cause for skepticism.

Oh my, it's the week for doctors. Are we all getting old? I hope your news was good.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I talked to my sister last night--the doctor queen, in terms of poor health. It's not that we don't talk, but we don't talk. She refuses to get online for reasons I don't understand, not even to email, and I don't make phone calls for reasons she doesn't understand, so the result is a disconnect. Which is a shame, because I like her as long as we don't talk about certain volatile subjects. We managed to sidestep them for nearly an hour, and vowed we'd talk more often.

I'm feeling nearly normal again, which is nice. Whatever tummy bug I had seems to be losing this fight.

Juniper, I hope you get everything figured out quickly so you don't have to delay your visit to your FIL--not to mention an end to your pain. That'd be pretty sweet, too, and last longer.

Maryn, drinking coffee again, woo-hoo!

Wye Pen

Banned
Reaction score
Happy Belated Birthday! Sorry I missed it. I'm shocked at how old you are too. :Wha: :)

Ibuprofen is my best friend lately. Taking 4 at a time, occasionally 5, keeps the pain at bay and lets me function. Surgery consult is tomorrow morning, early. I switched my job schedule so I'd be off this evening, to get my thoughts in order and my questions, currently in notes in my phone, on paper coherently so I can be prepared for the consult. I want to have a good idea of what to expect afterwards, not just, "Well the doctor said I should do it, so ok."

Plus I may do a second opinion, but I'm up against a time frame. I need to have this done by early August so I can go on my planned vacation a few weeks later, to visit my 91 yr old FIL. Not going to miss that. He's a terrific guy and I am planning on getting there. He's on the opposite coast and I only see him once a year usually.

Oh my, it's the week for doctors. Are we all getting old? I hope your news was good.

Hopefully your consultations with a doctor went well and there was no mention of a dreaded BRCA1 gene in them.

If it was about haemorrhoids or gallstones then you should have peace of mind because today's medicinal procedures make them just an annoyance.

And if your doctor is a capable one with average skills by modern standards he could examine you and remove cysts or stones along the way.

Keep us posted.

- - - Updated - - -

woo-hoo![/QUOTE said:

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

Wye Pen

Banned
Reaction score
I do not like this threads updates Can someone switch it off it is so annoying!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I am still to be diagnosed with winter blues that put me in a seasonal blue funk that starts in the autumn and goes through the winter time. I'm not going to visit a doctor because she will surely find something wrong with me as all my past and present wives did.

I'll have to move closer to the equator I guess.

Wye Pen

Banned
Reaction score
I talked to my sister last night--the doctor queen, in terms of poor health. It's not that we don't talk, but we don't talk. She refuses to get online for reasons I don't understand, not even to email, and I don't make phone calls for reasons she doesn't understand, so the result is a disconnect. Which is a shame, because I like her as long as we don't talk about certain volatile subjects. We managed to sidestep them for nearly an hour, and vowed we'd talk more often.

I'm feeling nearly normal again, which is nice. Whatever tummy bug I had seems to be losing this fight.

Juniper, I hope you get everything figured out quickly so you don't have to delay your visit to your FIL--not to mention an end to your pain. That'd be pretty sweet, too, and last longer.

Maryn, drinking coffee again, woo-hoo!

I love coffee.

Is your sister married? I have practical knowledge and ability to get her into the world of computers, emails and the World Wide Web. She will be tech savvy in next to no time and be loving me for that and I can show her a lot.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, she's married. Her husband uses computers all the time, so it's not like she is without resources. Mr. Maryn and I see a thread in who refuses to use computers. Quite often it's women who are not tech savvy and who presume they cannot do it or will fail. Our extended families include three such women.

I know for sure that if I were a regular visitor at my sister's, I could get her emailing with confidence and ease. Alas, she's too far away.

Maryn, whose tummy is acting up again, joy

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
Two independent bokstores and the website of a third have failed me in my quest for a birthday present for my partner. Though it's because the specific book she wanted came out a while ago; they website showed they did have a different book on her list, so she'll get that and like it.

I'm only getting old in the passage-of-time sense; still a whippersnapper. I'm just frail.

It was good news, though; they found no sign of the ailment. So one less obstacle to getting surgery for my father's Dread Disease, which I inherited because I'm the eldest.

("Oh, no, I'm so very very young" and then I crib a joke from Bob & Ray)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Everybody be well. Don't make me beg!

Just a heads-up that I'll be away from home next week. The place has internet, but I don't know how often I'll be online, so if I'm scarce, that doesn't mean you are relieved of your duty to get well.

Maryn, giving orders

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried Abebooks, Calieber? And what book does your partner want?

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
I found The Diary of Frida Kahlo, which was on her list; I forget the rest. I'll look again with the approach of Christmas.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi from Cape Cod, where I'm eating like a growing teenager.

Maryn, growing sideways

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
HI! Sorry I haven't been around but I haven't felt like being online.
I'm improving from my surgery which was already almost 5 weeks ago. Maryn was sweet to respect my privacy. The magic unicorn juice or whatever was two units of blood because I lost a lot in the surgery. I perked up a bunch after that. About two weeks in I stopped taking Percocet because I was forgetting it and it made me sick anyway. now I take a Tylenol now and then but that's it. it's a 180 from before the surgery. I am getting around pretty well and can get around without my cane like if I'm cooking but I use it most of the time. My follow up at the doc is next week. I was hoping to go back to work Aug 10 but I'm still pretty worn down so I don't know. I tend to improve in leaps so maybe by then I will feel like it. My parents came the week I came home from the hospital and stayed two weeks. While we couldn't have done it without their help, we were glad to have our house back when they left. I hope next time I see them it's for happy fun time not for something like this.

Juniper I hope you are ok and that you get the help you need. I know about being in pain and taking more than the recommended doses. I delayed my surgery to see Weird Al and Def Leppard shows so I also understand about concerts and pain meds.

Caliber glad you don't have the one ailment and hope you get what you need for the other.

love you guys

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I made it through a difficult day. It took us almost four hours of stop-and-start traffic to go 68 miles, so we were late for the Red Sox. We parked about a mile away. It was 93 and we hauled ass, arriving drenched and cross. We welcomed the first clouds, but of course it had to rain. At least the temperature dropped 20 degrees. But when the rain stopped, it got hot again, only plus humidity. At least the Sox won. Then Google Maps had us turn down the wrong street for our hotel and told us we'd arrived when we were on the middle of a residential street.

Maryn, now showered and fed

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
At least the Sox won. An event all to rare this sad baseball year.
Last week I visited a new Seattle brewery called Holy Mountain. I thought it was some homage to Mt. Rainier, but no. The founders picked the name from a 1973 Mexican movie.
Sass, continue to mend, please.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Sassy's back!
And after a very long absence. Was wondering what happened to her.
Hope you are doing well now.

I made it through a difficult day. It took us almost four hours of stop-and-start traffic to go 68 miles, so we were late for the Red Sox. We parked about a mile away. It was 93 and we hauled ass, arriving drenched and cross. We welcomed the first clouds, but of course it had to rain. At least the temperature dropped 20 degrees. But when the rain stopped, it got hot again, only plus humidity. At least the Sox won. Then Google Maps had us turn down the wrong street for our hotel and told us we'd arrived when we were on the middle of a residential street.

Maryn, now showered and fed
Loved your little story. My husband and I once got caught in traffic that made us miss the ferry that takes us to Giants games. — You've heard of the Giants haven't you? the CHAMPS? :greenie — so we had to take a ferry that doesn't go to the ballpark, but drops you off a little over a mile away. Husband wasn't well, and it was a damn long walk. Then we lost the damn game. Had a hella good brisket sandwich, though. Then had another hard walk that took us so long we missed another ferry. -- Still fun!

Last edited:

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the well wishes. i had an outing with hubby. We went to see Ant-Man and then we went to Waffle House. It was impromptu on sat night and a lot of fun. Even with talkers and rustling candy wrappers.
i go to the dr Thursday for follow up. I was hoping to go back to work next week but I still tire easily.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I am getting around pretty well and can get around without my cane like if I'm cooking but I use it most of the time. My follow up at the doc is next week. I was hoping to go back to work Aug 10 but I'm still pretty worn down so I don't know. I tend to improve in leaps so maybe by then I will feel like it.

Hi! Glad you're back and doing well. Are you on your feet a lot at work? Maybe you can start off going back part time and work up to more hours.

It took us almost four hours of stop-and-start traffic to go 68 miles, so we were late for the Red Sox. We parked about a mile away. It was 93 and we hauled ass, arriving drenched and cross.

I finally got to Fenway Park last summer! We try to go to Maine every summer to visit my FIL and we've flown into various airports, depending on schedules and air fares, and then driven up the coast. We've done Boston a few times but last year was the first time we had the time to go to a game and the Sox were in town. We took the train in from the suburb where the hotel was and walked along the street with the hundreds of other fans. Sox lost but I really liked just being there in the historic park. New ballparks don't have the soul of the old ones.

Husband has been a Red Sox fan since he was young. I was a Cubs fan for a long time, but finally gave up on them because they broke my heart too many times. Went over to the Sox when I got married, and then a few years later they broke their curse with the World Series. So the heartache there is gone.

Well ... I'm getting my wish to have this done by early August, but not for the reason I'd hoped. They'd decided on early September, but then I had a preliminary procedure last Friday that gave unexpectedly bad results, and so surgery is today. I just got a call from the HR person at work who handles long-term leave, and she said the surgeon wrote me for 6-10 weeks off. Sounds like a long time. I'm hoping it doesn't take that long. Had more tests yesterday.

Not sure if I'll be able to go to Maine - we're scheduled for August 20th - or if my husband will go by himself. He needs to go with or without me. Needs to work on the house there with my BIL and also my FIL turns 91, so as much as I'd like to go, he'll go without me if I'm not up for travel.

I love Maine and look forward to being there every year. I hope it can work out. But I'm off the laptop now and must get ready to head to hospital. See you all later!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure I speak for us all in sending you our wishes for the best outcome and healing vibes for after. It seems to have worked for Sassy, after all.

Sheesh, with that surgery pushed up so much, I hope you had time to lay in plenty of reading material, especially some light stuff that's just for fun, plus some pastimes for when you can't stand to read another minute. When I'm under the weather, I gorge on movies more than read, enjoying ones that are not all that good but pass muster with pain meds.

Maryn, feeling lucky her health issues are mere annoyances

Status
Not open for further replies.