Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What are you reading, if you don't mind saying?

I'm in between books right now--I tend to either be reading or be writing--but I recently finished Robopocalypse, which I enjoyed more than I expected. My library's supply of ebooks available is pretty limited, so I considered myself lucky to find one that wasn't like fifth in a series.

Maryn, wishing they had more thrillers

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Today I read Best Sports Writing 2002, a book about an alternate Roman empire, and In Broad Daylight by Harry MacLean. I have a personal rule that I don't go to bed unless I've put at least one book in the cull pile. Today it is the alternate Romans.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When we had to move the bookcase to paint, I was in the right mood for a major cull. I filled two boxes. They're still sitting in the family room, but they'll get donated eventually.

Maryn, eating sweet cherries

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
I am discouraged with myself. I bought two bags of books at a book sale.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The horror!

I'm starting to fret about "what if we do move next year?" because there are lots of books (and a ton of other items) that I probably ought not to take, but I want them all.

Maryn, in a lifelong love affair with cool things

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
It is a horror. I am trying to declutter but I keep buying unnecessary things.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The curse of living in the first world, huh?

Maryn, who does the same thing

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
Today ten books went in the cull pile. Not a bad day in that respect, although at work I failed to find far too many books of which we have the only copies in the system.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I should know this, but are you a librarian?

And if you are, is this practice good or bad? When I'm browsing, I see many books I presume are mis-shelved. In among the authors whose surnames start with GO, for instance, there's an HA author. (Well, that one I'd move myself. It's right there.) Okay, make that ZA. I often pull the item out and lay it sideways across the top of the other books, to alert whatever staffer checks that this book doesn't go here. Is that a total pain or helpful? Yeah, I could put it where it goes, but I fear messing up something, like a deliberate gathering of all an author's books under one name even though she writes under her real name and two pen names.

Maryn, who dreads today's worst task and is doing laundry instead

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
No, I'm not a librarian. I'm quite a few steps below that. I shelve books and hunt the lost ones. I average perhaps thirty percent on the lost ones.
I don't know what policy your library prefers. Here we prefer that you put the books on a table but your library staff could tell you what they prefer.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks, I've been too busy to be on AW, but am enjoying a temporary return. I've got far too many books and am always trying to cull them, but it's so painful! They're either good friends, or belong to Mr Mouse, or are in the ever-growing 'to be read' pile. life is definately too short for all the books I'd like to read.
Sigh!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lately I'm promising myself that when I am bedridden in some skilled nursing facility, I shall hire a bevy of college students to come read to me from my TBR pile. I will pay them well, too.

Maryn, who'd be smart to do that now

grandma2isaac

Registered
Reaction score
Whenever I finally put books in a pile to go out I feel drawn to them again and again. They start making their way back onto the shelves. I tell my husband, "They are ready to go but if they stay here long they will never make it out the door!" My how helpful he gets when he hears that! He loads the car and carts them away for me!!!

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
That's very helpful!
I am definitely now in my second childhood. I have joined an adult coloring book and I now color in public.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see people color in public now and again.

Later this week I will need to kill some time at a Panera Bread. (One car in the shop, me to a short meeting, Mr. Maryn to buy clothes at the mall, which he hates and makes so unpleasant I refuse to join him.) I'd thought I'd bring a laptop and pretend to write, which I can't usually do in such a busy environment. Maybe I should color instead!

Funny story. My writing group gives small gifts at Christmas. This past year one woman gave us adult coloring books and packs of colorful mechanical pencils--all of them plain black graphite.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Funny story. My writing group gives small gifts at Christmas. This past year one woman gave us adult coloring books and packs of colorful mechanical pencils--all of them plain black graphite.
Makes coloring a lot more simple. :roll:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of my daughters is somewhat artistic. She colored one page using pencil, in various textures, shadings, grids and such. It's pretty cool, but not something I'm capable of.

Maryn, whose artistic talent is as yet undiscovered

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
I have a boxful of coloring pencils and gel pens. Right now I'm doing an owl one but since the owls demanded they be in earth colors and not just them, but the whole page it's been difficult finding the right colors. The group leader suggested I buy a folder for my finished efforts so now finished pages reside in it. I too fell into the trap of buying plain pencils. It's an easy mistake to make. I also made the mistake of buying crayons instead of the proper coloring pencils and gel pens. Fortunately I didn't have to look far to find a home for both. My branch has a box of crayons for kids so I just dumped the crayons into that box. The adult patrons can use the pencils.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard there's a big difference in quality when it comes to colored pencils. What kind did you get, and do you like them?

Anyone else go a little crazy with home office-slash-writing supplies this time of year? Pencils, notebooks, basic art supplies, etc. never get cheaper all at the same time. I've been having a little paroxysm of scissor buying. Fiskars--an excellent brand I use for sewing--keeps having its shortest scissors, usually about $4, on sale for 99 cents in back to school promos. They have both blunt tip for little kids and pointed for older ones. I must have six or eight pairs by now, but it's such a good deal! And you can never have too many pairs of scissors, right?

Maryn, thinking maybe you can

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
I was feeling so proud of myself yesterday for not having bought a book in over a week......... but then went out and bought two!!!!! How could I possibly resist a classic penguin edition of Daphne du Maurier's Mary Anne, which I think is the only one of hers I haven't read, and Prophesy by S.L. Parris, which I'd been recommended by several people?

OBM - feeling as guilty as if I'd just wolfed down a chocolate bar in secret.

Last edited:

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard there's a big difference in quality when it comes to colored pencils.
As an artist and art teacher, I recommend Prisma Colors for anyone who really wants an awesome colored pencil. They also sell Watercolor pencils. You dip the tip into water before coloring and the pencil lead sort of 'melts' onto the paper. Creates bold, bright colors. My absolute favorite. You pay a little extra but they are totally worth it for both professional and budding artist.

Just my two cents. Sorry, couldn't help myself. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I was feeling so proud of myself yesterday for not having bought a book in over a week......... but then went out and bought two!!!!! How could I possibly resist a classic penguin edition of Daphne du Maurier's Mary Anne, which I think is the only one of hers I haven't read, and Prophesy by S.L. Parris, which I'd been recommended by several people?

OBM - feeling as guilty as if I'd just wolfed down a chocolate bar in secret.
Oh, I'd totally do both. Books AND chocolate in private. Live a little!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on Prisma colored pencils. My city has a dedicated art store--but might I find them in "regular" stores, do you think? (Parking near the art store is difficult.)

Or I've heard of this thing, "online shopping"--wacky, huh?

Maryn, wondering how many colors she needs

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip about the Prismas. We have two nice office supply stores here, Staples and Office Depot. They might have them. I'll check come payday. Right now my favorite are the Crayola color pencils but the gel pens have neat shadings too.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone else like me, in that either I'm reading a lot or writing a lot? I've been reading recently, hardly getting any words down at all, but I've certainly enjoyed the last several books. Kid Two has my tastes as a reader totally nailed and every time she gives me a book for my birthday or Christmas, it's one I really like.

Fast heads-up for those keeping score. I'll be traveling the second half of August, online far less than usual. Please don't let this thread die completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.