AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [ePub] December House

practical experience, FTW Taran's Avatar

[ePub] December House

E-publisher. I haven't been able to find much info about them outside their own website:

http://www.decemberhouse.net/about.php

And even on their own site, unless I'm missing something, no mention whatsoever of any staff.
    Authors, yes, there are brief bios of two of their authors. Unless the authors are the staff?
    No positions, no names, thus no way to judge their experience, except that the home page's copyright is dated 2014. If that's about when they started, I'd wait a bit and see how they do.

The links to one of their books on Amazon has a release date of 2012, so they started well before 2014. They have several books out and a half dozen authors. The cover art is good, but they only do eBooks. I don't see any staff listed, though, which Frimble3 pointed out. But they seem legit. Probably don't pay any kind of advance. It's "December House Ltd." which means they're in the UK. Not that it matters. Might be a good place to get your foot in the door.
    Author of high-octane sci-fi, fantasy and horror!

www.tobytatestories.com Amazon

Live a little. Write a lot. Karen Junker's Avatar
    I'm an author who got my foot in the door of an epublisher a few years ago. They went bankrupt and I lost the rights to my book, as far as I can tell. I would recommend to anyone thinking of submitting to a newish publisher that they wait a few years and see how the company is doing before they risk it. Read a few threads for some of the newer publishers and just observe the kinds of problems the authors are having to get an idea why.
    Karen Junker
    www.CascadeWriters.com
    "Spend a passionate weekend with your muse!"

practical experience, FTW Taran's Avatar
    One (maybe the only?) of their editors is on twitter:

https://twitter.com/culturemouse1

But the lack of staff info on the main page is indeed rather odd.

Their covers are nice, but still, they are just e-books. I agree with Karen, I would wait a while and see how it goes.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Six books and 1.5 years put them well into already 'going' IMHO. FWIW all their book seem to sell at 99c. Which is an odd choice in the current climate for ebook sales.
    Emily Veinglory

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    Six books and 1.5 years --
    One ebook every three months. At that pace they don't have to know what they're doing, or be good at it. That's enough time to fumble each title through the pipeline via a process of successive approximation, a.k.a. trial and error.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by HapiSofi View Post
    That's enough time to fumble each title through the pipeline via a process of successive approximation, a.k.a. trial and error.
    "Enough time to fumble?" Geez, I know it's smart to be skeptical about all start-up publishers but sometimes the level of cynicism and negativity on these forums to presses they have absolutely no connection to whatsoever depresses me.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredbryce View Post
    "Enough time to fumble?" Geez, I know it's smart to be skeptical about all start-up publishers but sometimes the level of cynicism and negativity on these forums to presses they have absolutely no connection to whatsoever depresses me.
    Welcome to AW!

Unfortunately, there's good reason. If you'll go up to the index and click on publishers, you'll notice a lot of names are in gray. Some are good publishers and sadly missed, but many are startups that didn't make it for one reason or another.

Go read up on the threads for some of those grayed-out publishers, and you may understand our reasons for caution.