GMC: Goal, Motivation, and Conflict [by Debra Dixon] -- Back in print!

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Debra Dixon's famous and beloved writing book, GMC: Goal, Motivation, and Conflict, is back in print in a Kindle edition. This one has been on my wishlist for years, available only as an out-of-print hardback that people were asking fifty dollars for. :tongue

However, it's $10.49 for a 121-page book, so I'm meaning a smidgeon slow in buying it. While I've moved it to the top of my wishlist, it's been so long since I originally added it that I don't remember why I wanted it. I know this book has a lot of fans, and like any such book, probably some detractors as well.

So please tell me if it's worth getting. Is it aimed at all levels of writers, or "newbies" or aimed more at advanced writers? Is it worth it and useful?

Should I buy it? Should I buy it?
:Jump:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Buy it. Buy it now. Those 121 pages are chock full of solid advice. I have a hardback copy from years ago. Some people ding it for the copious movie references, but they serve as easy-to-follow examples. She's very big on mining the external and internal conflicts of the characters for maximum effect...a process that can be uncomfortable with some new authors. But boy, did it help me.

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
It's a very useful book. Indispensable for beginners, but still a great reference even after you've been writing a while. I may be buying another copy: mine is the Gryphon (?) hardback, and it was pretty ratty when I got it used from a thrift store about thirteen years ago.

The Amazon comments section is priceless, esp. the one-star reviews.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I'm coming back to update. I've read this book through twice now.

It goes on my shelf with my other go-to books and one that I will highly recommend along with my other favorites.

Ready to read through a third time, manuscript in hand....