Discovery in Outer Solar System to be Announced Today

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There were actually two important solar-system astronomical announcements today. One being the asteroid with rings, the other being the discovery of a large Oort Cloud planetesimal body, as yet unnamed, somewhat smaller than the "dwarf planets" Eris and Sedna, but interesting because it suggests that many more such bodies, including possibly larger ones, may lurk out there on the edge of our star's gravitational influence.

Such bodies are beastly hard to detect, having very little reflectivity of the feeble sunlight that reaches them.

caw

And here's the link: NASA Supported Research Helps Redefine Solar System's Edge

The solar system has a new most-distant family member.

Scientists using ground based observatories have discovered an object that is believed to have the most distant orbit found beyond the known edge of our solar system. Named 2012 VP113, the observations of the object -- possibly a dwarf planet -- were obtained and analyzed with a grant from NASA. A dwarf planet is an object in orbit around the sun that is large enough to have its own gravity pull itself into a spherical, or nearly round, shape.

The detailed findings are published in the March 27 edition of Nature.

Both Sedna and 2012 VP113 were found near their closest approach to the sun, but they both have orbits that go out to hundreds of AU, at which point they would be too faint to discover. The similarity in the orbits found for Sedna, 2012 VP113 and a few other objects near the edge of the Kuiper Belt suggests the new object’s orbit might be influenced by the potential presence of a yet unseen planet perhaps up to 10 times the size of Earth. Further studies of this deep space arena will continue.

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
Oh heck, I thought it was gonna be confirmation that Nibiru was back for reals this time. I saw another you tube video saying that it was coming back by this august. (silly I know, but hey, it was on you tube yanno).

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
There were actually two important solar-system astronomical announcements today. One being the asteroid with rings, the other being the discovery of a large Oort Cloud planetesimal body, as yet unnamed, somewhat smaller than the "dwarf planets" Eris and Sedna, but interesting because it suggests that many more such bodies, including possibly larger ones, may lurk out there on the edge of our star's gravitational influence.

Such bodies are beastly hard to detect, having very little reflectivity of the feeble sunlight that reaches them.

caw

And you heard it here first, folks. :tongue

Probably this: a dwarf planet.

Could be this: an asteroid with rings.

But those stories look like they'd both violate the embargo.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
This is the second like object discovered in that area with an orbit suggesting they're attached to a large body. There's theoretically a big planet there.
Not a big planet. Well, that is, not a gas giant like Jupiter or Saturn. But there could be a nice rocky planet, maybe even Earth-size. Wouldn't that be neato? Actually suggests several sf possibilities right away.

Incidentally, apparently young-Earth creationists don't believe in the Oort cloud. Instead, they believe the frequent appearance of comets falling into the inner Solar System proves that the whole shebang is only 6,000 years old.

cornflake said:
I dunno, can we just get out butts to Europa and find the cool beasties please? :)
Hells, yeah. Sign me up.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Incidentally, apparently young-Earth creationists don't believe in the Oort cloud. Instead, they believe the frequent appearance of comets falling into the inner Solar System proves that the whole shebang is only 6,000 years old.

There are all manner of jawdropping things these people have to believe to support their ideas. To go into those in any detail would get me banned.

caw

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Not a big planet. Well, that is, not a gas giant like Jupiter or Saturn. But there could be a nice rocky planet, maybe even Earth-size. Wouldn't that be neato? Actually suggests several sf possibilities right away.

Hells, yeah. Sign me up.

Considering what it appears to be pulling, it could be several times the size of Earth.

It's probably Melancholia. Time to put on Wagner and mess up a wedding.

That movie was so awful it may have been worse than that being true.

Last edited: